• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anthony Castrillo thread shut down

154 posts in this topic

I don't see the need for them to step in now........where were they when all of this hit the fan last year?

Once progress is being made they need to kill it?

I don't see personally what the big deal is. Anthony can still sell his art without CGC grading or submit at a show, and still give that money back to people owed. Or he can bust his hump sweeping up at a fast food joint to show that he has some amount of honor left and pay people back.

Isn't it possible that CGC is just tired of being associated with an artist that has probably cost them (and a lot of other artists) $$$ over the last few years and definitely cost them some reputation points while they've extended deadline after deadline for him? It makes sense that there was a line somewhere, and maybe there were better choices, but here it is...

I just do not see the need to step in when the finish line was within sight.........with Speedy tireless help this was on the way to being resolved.

Not perfect resolutions but at least people were getting what they were owed or at very least a refund.

Now it looks like I can kiss my cash goodbye...............

I don't see the need for them to step in now........where were they when all of this hit the fan last year?

Once progress is being made they need to kill it?

I don't see personally what the big deal is. Anthony can still sell his art without CGC grading or submit at a show, and still give that money back to people owed. Or he can bust his hump sweeping up at a fast food joint to show that he has some amount of honor left and pay people back.

Isn't it possible that CGC is just tired of being associated with an artist that has probably cost them (and a lot of other artists) $$$ over the last few years and definitely cost them some reputation points while they've extended deadline after deadline for him? It makes sense that there was a line somewhere, and maybe there were better choices, but here it is...

I just do not see the need to step in when the finish line was within sight.........with Speedy tireless help this was on the way to being resolved.

Not perfect resolutions but at least people were getting what they were owed or at very least a refund.

Now it looks like I can kiss my cash goodbye...............

I guess this is the part I don't follow, as I said before, its not like AC has ZERO other options for generating cash other than selling CGC SS sketches. I do agree that the most obvious and possibly the easiest avenue has been closed, but he is still welcome to sell as much art as he can produce, or get other paying jobs.

Its not like anything about AC's process has really changed. He makes art, now instead of it going to CGC SPeedy can just sell it directly. THat money goes to the people he owes. If AC was motivated before, he shouldn't be less so now, as NOTHING ABOUT HIS PROCESS HAS CHANGED. If he's not motivated, then you weren't getting your money back anyways.

Not that I'm not sympathetic, if I've been waiting 2 years for a refund, even a month or two extra, or any change to a system that seems to be working would seriously irk me. I personally just don't think its the end of refunds, just a bump in the road...but many people have had far too much faith in AC before....

[font:Book Antiqua]

Mod could you explain if CGC is banning Anthony from submitting after those 11 books...?[/font]

The 4th Op thread was a disaster. I do not want commerce for another AC op to happen publicly on these boards.

If AC drops off books at the booth this weekend in New York with payment for grades, that is more than fine.

However, the last thing a Sketch Op should be is send books to an artist, pay the artist or rep, books don't get done for a long amount of time, money needs to be refunded and then do that all over again 4 times.

Sketch Ops bring in a small amount of money to CGC and really are a representation of an artist's work. If it becomes a massive lenghty headache (i.e. books on Michael's desk sitting for months waiting for someone to pay for the books, which happens a few times a year) then it is not worth the aggravation.

Knowing the hard work that Dan has done to recoup sketches and refunds for some of us, I am much obliged to him. I also appreciate the CGC Forums very much for the camaraderie we have here (mostly lol ).

In order express my gratitude to Dan and this community, if push comes to shove, I am willing to donate a slab which can be sold to collect funds to pay those who are owed refunds. To me it isn’t about giving the artist an easy way out; it’s about doing the right thing and looking out for fellow boardies who may be left in limbo, refund-less.

Dan, if it comes to that let me know, but A.C. is the one who really needs to step up and resolve this mess a.s.a.p. (apply for a loan, use the income tax refund or something!).

Knowing the hard work that Dan has done to recoup sketches and refunds for some of us, I am much obliged to him. I also appreciate the CGC Forums very much for the camaraderie we have here (mostly lol ).

In order express my gratitude to Dan and this community, if push comes to shove, I am willing to donate a slab which can be sold to collect funds to pay those who are owed refunds. To me it isnt about giving the artist an easy way out; its about doing the right thing and looking out for fellow boardies who may be left in limbo, refund-less.

Dan, if it comes to that let me know, but A.C. is the one who really needs to step up and resolve this mess a.s.a.p. (apply for a loan, use the income tax refund or something!).

I think we're all VERY sure that all income from all of these sketch opps is being reported to the IRS and state taxing authorities. I think those administrative skills have been clearly demonstrated throughout the whole process.

I'm a little confused. So you can't even sell completed work of his that you have in your own possession?

I don't have anything that's unsold. But if I did, I would not be able to submit it. It's still an open question whether I can sell AC covers raw on the Boards. That might be considered a slippery slope, but I haven't gotten a final ruling on it.

I'm a little confused. So you can't even sell completed work of his that you have in your own possession?

I don't have anything that's unsold. But if I did, I would not be able to submit it. It's still an open question whether I can sell AC covers raw on the Boards. That might be considered a slippery slope, but I haven't gotten a final ruling on it.

I can't imagine they would want to regulate that.

What's stopping AC from banging out 11 x 17 art and having Dan sell it on the boards to fund the refunds? That's assuming Dan still wants to be involved. I don't know how long he's been at this but it seems to me it's been at least a year.

I think it might be closer to two years!! :whatthe:

I'm trying to see if we can sell non graded stuff to cover CGC fees and refunds. I'll certainly post an update once I know.

I can't imagine they would want to regulate that.

Agreed, because that would mean I can't sell any of my Castillo pieces? If Dan has possession of raw AC art I don't see CGC preventing him from selling it. Especially if it's for a good cause.

If Anthony is trying to sell it himself on the board that's another story.

I spoke with the SS folks on the phone this afternoon, and got what is likely the final word. Basically, there's not to be any more AC commerce via the Boards. The spirit of the ruling is that there's been trouble when Anthony has sold via the Boards in the past, so doing so in the future is a no no. That extends to me, as I've sorta evolved into being his Boards Rep. I think some folks kinda hold me responsible for the problem, but what're you gonna do, right?

I pled my case of needing to sell stuff in order to cover fees and refunds, and that doing so on the Boards was by far the easiest way to get it done, but it didn't fly.

Also, there's no more submitting comics as we've been doing. All I know about the whole Sig Series program is what I've learned from handling this stuff, and evidently we've been an exception to the rule. Usually artists don't just endlessly submit comics as we've been doing. Anthony can still bring a batch of comics to a con and submit in person, paying up front, but aside from that, we can't submit any comics beyond the 11 I know of.

Personally, I don't put much stock in the convention solution. It seems to me that there is too much room for error there. So, we're left with the problem of getting everyone's refunds, and money to submit the final 11 overdue books. To that end, if anyone is interested in AC art in the future, and would like to get it through me, please send me a PM. I'm not sure exactly what I'll do, but whatever it is it won't be done through a sales thread so I need to know who to keep in the know. I'll also be contacting everyone who's bought stuff in the past to see if they want to be involved in whatever I come up with.

I'm pretty bummed that we got cut off. I feel like we made incredibly good progress and would have gotten everything completed given some more time, but I understand that CGC is a business, they take the Sig Series program seriously, and got tired of having this ongoing fiasco making it look bad. So no hard feelings, but I don't yet know where to go from here.

I completely understand them drawing a line, i.e. no more endless CGC submissions and Anthony Castrillo being disallowed to sell on the boards... but lumping YOU with HIM is outrageous.

You're NOT his rep. You're not even "kind of" his rep. You're a Good Samaritan cleaning up his mess and you haven't asked for a single dime from anybody.

Am I as a private collector allowed to sell any of my Castrillo art on the board?

I completely understand them drawing a line, i.e. no more endless CGC submissions and Anthony Castrillo being disallowed to sell on the boards... but lumping YOU with HIM is outrageous.

You're NOT his rep. You're not even "kind of" his rep. You're a Good Samaritan cleaning up his mess and you haven't asked for a single dime from anybody.

Am I as a private collector allowed to sell any of my Castrillo art on the board?

I didn't ask about that but I bet it'd be cool.

what about members who just bought from you and you sent those covers into cgc (already received by cgc). Will those covers be allowed since they were in before the ban?

I'd be very surprised if they weren't. I've asked the question just to be sure, but haven't gotten an answer yet. :wishluck:

I don't yet know where to go from here.

[font:Book Antiqua]A few options to consider:

* myslabbedcomics.com, you can show there whatever is new for sale,

they even have a "For sale" section.

* CGC The best of the best sketch (www.cgcsketch.com) that one is a website that was created by people and for people who love sketch,

the creator is a board member and talking about expanding the site for sales could be an option.

* anthonycastrillo.com, He used to have a web site, maybe using that site again, it's not expending money but investing, he is a very talented artist, just need discipline...

Thank you Dan for your hard work and dedication

thanks to you many members have their money or sketches...

This is just a minor setback...

[/font]

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

what about members who just bought from you and you sent those covers into cgc (already received by cgc). Will those covers be allowed since they were in before the ban?

I'd be very surprised if they weren't. I've asked the question just to be sure, but haven't gotten an answer yet. :wishluck:

The comics currently at CGC are safe. :)

That's everything from this thread: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=330468&Number=7450101