• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink May Auction

200 posts in this topic

That tiny little Moebius Starwatcher piece fascinates me. It is so tiny at 3.5 X 5 but so so beautiful I wonder if I can get it with the cash my 3 consigned pieces bring. I seriously doubt it but if so would I then spend serious bucks on such a small illustration? Aargh! It is a real dilemma.

Does CLink let you take the cash you would get from an auction and just use it toward another piece in the same auction?

That tiny little Moebius Starwatcher piece fascinates me. It is so tiny at 3.5 X 5 but so so beautiful I wonder if I can get it with the cash my 3 consigned pieces bring. I seriously doubt it but if so would I then spend serious bucks on such a small illustration? Aargh! It is a real dilemma.

Does CLink let you take the cash you would get from an auction and just use it toward another piece in the same auction?

I have no idea. For me it is more a question of knowing what my rough budget is more than using the actual same dollars. But they are pretty easy going in many ways, they very well may allow it. I hope I end up in a position where I can ask to do so!

Yes you can use sellers credit, but you generally have to wait until the other people have paid and make sure its happened

this auction seems to be humming along nicely so far. There is one piece I am looking at seriously, but I doubt I can win it in this crazy market. I have 3 pieces in consignment and the one without reserve is well on its way to what I am comfortable selling it for. The 2 with reserve are split, one already at 60% of my (low) reserve and the other at less than $100. But that is okay, that is what reserves are for.

But the reason for this post is the BWS MCP Weapon X page - $5200 already. I think that is pretty good after a day and a half. I have a page from this series and I would love to get another, but this page is surprising me.

I was looking at the Iron Man 111 page it has a lot of things going for it, but the nipples on the suit stop me from being aggressive on it.

Go on..grab those nipples

I was able to narrow down my original list of 50+ down to around 7 different pieces that I intend to go at with force, Iron Man suit with nipples however did not make the cut. :( The only problem I have now is to either go after quantity by possibly getting 2 or 3 of the items that have smaller bids on them, or rather focus my funds on one big item? Another thing I have to consider is that if I pass on some of them to focus on a piece that ends after them that piece might go for more then I could afford, and I miss out on something that I liked, and in my price range. Thoughts?

I was able to narrow down my original list of 50+ down to around 7 different pieces that I intend to go at with force, Iron Man suit with nipples however did not make the cut. :( The only problem I have now is to either go after quantity by possibly getting 2 or 3 of the items that have smaller bids on them, or rather focus my funds on one big item? Another thing I have to consider is that if I pass on some of them to focus on a piece that ends after them that piece might go for more then I could afford, and I miss out on something that I liked, and in my price range. Thoughts?

These problems have been completely solved by a simple and elegant bidding system originally developed in Southern India. I wish I could tell it to you, but alas, I have been sworn to secrecy. (shrug)

These problems have been completely solved by a simple and elegant bidding system originally developed in Southern India. I wish I could tell it to you, but alas, I have been sworn to secrecy. (shrug)

Oh, so you pay someone from India to bid for you? :)

Another thing I have to consider is that if I pass on some of them to focus on a piece that ends after them that piece might go for more then I could afford, and I miss out on something that I liked, and in my price range. Thoughts?

Try to accelerate price discovery. :shrug:

I would just gauge it this way.

What piece of the 7 or so do you look at and you say to yourself how awesome would that piece be hanging on my wall. If it's really just the one big piece that you desire above the others then just go for that. I have found too many times that I keep going after smaller pieces that I can afford and then find that a large piece crosses my path and I cannot scrape the money together fast enough to get it since I blew it all on the smaller ones. I treat smaller pieces as nice additions but unnecessary to what I truly want. Like for me I want a John Romita Jr Daredevil page more than any of his other work. I've had several chances to get his Hulk, Spider-Man or even his recent Captain America run, but it's not what I really want. His smaller stuff might be cheaper and easier to get like his Sentry pages but I am going to hold out and when I do get that page I will be much happier with it than all of the smaller bid items I used to fill the void until I got the one I truly wanted.

Sorry went on a run there most likely, but just go for what you really want and don't over think it. I've been outbid on 6 of the 7 pieces I've tried for so far this year in auctions and personal sales and got frustrated until I just realized that I now have all this extra cash for when I go to SDCC in a few months. You will always find something else that you will want and if you wait long enough the one piece that you really want will find it's way to you.

Oh, so you pay someone from India to bid for you? :)

It's amazing what you can outsource these days...

Bidding has slowed down a bit, I wonder if it will pick up again this weekend? That BWS Weapon X page is up to $6K. I was also looking at the Art Adams X-Men page, it is $1600 now. Those are just fun to watch for me, the piece I want is slowly moving up as well though. One of my 2 consigned items with a reserve has met that reserve, so that is good but sad. Hopefully it keeps going though and at least gets me my purchase price.

I looked at comic connect today and wondered...why do I essentially ignore them? I bought one piece a while ago I think but generally look over HA and Clink, but ignore comic connect. Anyone else have blind spots, or do you try to devour every source and auction. I must admit connect had a few things I dropped bids on to see what happens.

It seems this way I think about them, general speaking

All star. Historic

Ha. Solid mix of historic and hero

Comiclink. Mostly hero silver age to present

Comicconnect. not sure, I think it's a branding thing

Okay - I have a ComicLink question for you guys... Have people won items at less than their max bid?

People have told me yes, but the several auctions I've won have all been exactly at my highest bid, and with some "interesting" price movement in, literally, the last second.

Don't get me wrong - I am not complaining about this practice (if it exists, or even if it exists but is (apparently) randomly applied via some formula). I put in the bid, I was prepared to pay that amount, and the consignor got the most for their piece. Everyone walks away happy, although as the buyer, I need a shower as I have been taken out back and ridden hard. But that feeling is long gone when the art shows up.

Just wondering...

andy