• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reputable UK dealers?

35 posts in this topic

I contacted Nick at Comicana about some Dungeons & Dragons magazines I'm looking for. He graciously checked his stock (thanks again Nick!) but did not have any.

It's a magazine called Imagine that was published by TSR UK in the mid 80s. Looking specifically for issues 16-30 and Special # 1.

They pop up on ebay (there are some on ebay now) but are usually priced higher than I want to spend.

If anyone has any leads, I'd appreciate it.

The UK has its fair share of places selling moderns online but not as many with large back issue stock that put their inventory up. Sometimes I have simply phoned or emailed some of the better LCS that have no online store to see if they have what I am looking for and are wiling to ship it. Works quite well... some of the time.

I can only echo the positive sentiments towards the UK dealers already mentioned and the following who I've been a customer of:

Comicana Direct (Flaming_Telepath) - Tight grading combined with their pricing, make them the default place for me to buy all back issues. Nick didn't even laugh when I bought loads of 90's-00's moderns... much lol Probably glad someone wants them (thumbs u

Gaz973 - Again tight grades and one of the dealers I'll always check out at the London comic marts who varies his stock each time which for an impulse buyer like myself, means it's always fun to see what I'll add to my collection. Always has something to recommend me :)

Ltd Edition Comix (Whizzer) - A staple dealer at UK conventions and marts and the go to guys for variants, their great exclusive covers, package very well and if you're in the UK, THE dealers you want to be buying those Midtown variants from instead of importing. Whizzer also very kindly helped me add a few books that had already sold out.

songsaboutclouds - Another boardie who Helped me with some back issues last year which were graded and priced very well and very kindly offered to search other dealers boxes for super cheap FF issues and brought a good stack of them when he popped down to London. I thought I'd see him at Thought Bubble but I didn't actually browse at any dealers tables what with panels and endless queuing.

Scott's Collectibles - They sell back issues and now subs for moderns but I use them primarily for submitting to CGC for Universal and SS. They came through perfectly at NYCC 2013 and were the ones who helped me secure my Lying Cat sketch on the back of my dual signed RRP in the Saga thread at Thought Bubble 2013 despite the challenges I had. They'll be who I use at LSCC this weekend.

Sincere thanks to those who mentioned me. :foryou:

I would mention........

Nick of Comicana Direct is the nest dealer in the UK in my opinion. I've bought literally thousands of comics over more than ten years and his grading and customer service are what I aspire to.

Andy Colman (Goldust40 on the boards) is one of the most long standing and respected UK dealers on the boards. I don't think his website is running anymore but he can be contacted on the boards

Ltd Edition Comix are run by Rich (who ran my LCS for years) and Phil (board member, Whizzer) and are good people with great stock and can be found at many events.

I'd also recommend Gary Kerr of WhenTitansClash as I found his grading and customer service to be well above the average and I'd happily buy from him again.

I contacted Nick at Comicana about some Dungeons & Dragons magazines I'm looking for. He graciously checked his stock (thanks again Nick!) but did not have any.

It's a magazine called Imagine that was published by TSR UK in the mid 80s. Looking specifically for issues 16-30 and Special # 1.

They pop up on ebay (there are some on ebay now) but are usually priced higher than I want to spend.

If you find any on eBay UK then I'd be happy to take delivery of them and ship them to you, if that's of any help.

Sincere thanks to those who mentioned me. :foryou:

I would mention........

Nick of Comicana Direct is the nest dealer in the UK in my opinion. I've bought literally thousands of comics over more than ten years and his grading and customer service are what I aspire to.

Andy Colman (Goldust40 on the boards) is one of the most long standing and respected UK dealers on the boards. I don't think his website is running anymore but he can be contacted on the boards

Ltd Edition Comix are run by Rich (who ran my LCS for years) and Phil (board member, Whizzer) and are good people with great stock and can be found at many events.

I'd also recommend Gary Kerr of WhenTitansClash as I found his grading and customer service to be well above the average and I'd happily buy from him again.

Ah yes forgot about WhenTitansClash...bought couple cheap slabs from there that came very well packaged.

Also have to give praise to Phil (Whizzer) of Ltd Edition Comix, was looking for a modern that he got for me. Packaging also very good.

If you find any on eBay UK then I'd be happy to take delivery of them and ship them to you, if that's of any help.

I appreciate that. I'll take a look.

I know Comicana Direct is spoken of highly. Any other UK dealers that grade tightly, deal honestly, and have solid customer service? Any input is greatly appreciated! :)

There are a couple of boardies on here who do a bit of trading:

Gaz973

Whizzer

Comicopolis

(thumbs u

All tight graders and all round good blokes who will go that extra mile for their customers, they will all be set up at the LSCC, so get to them first.

I have bought from Andy since the 90's when he had Goldust comics and I have never been disappointed.

used Comicana (FT), Ltd Edition Comix (Whizzer) and Gaz973 plenty of times, all great in service, knowledge, stock and something thats very rare in being done and thats great packaging. Always check with these guys when i want something 1st

Only echoing what previous posters have said. I've had ongoing great service from both our own Nick (Flaming_Telepath) and Garry (Gaz973) for several years now. Nick is my "go to" fella for CGC submissions (about 75 so far, and counting).

I know Comicana Direct is spoken of highly. Any other UK dealers that grade tightly, deal honestly, and have solid customer service? Any input is greatly appreciated! :)

There are a couple of boardies on here who do a bit of trading:

Gaz973

Whizzer

Comicopolis

(thumbs u

All tight graders and all round good blokes who will go that extra mile for their customers, they will all be set up at the LSCC, so get to them first.

I have bought from Andy since the 90's when he had Goldust comics and I have never been disappointed.

Thanks for all the mentions, guys. I'd have to echo what everyone has said - you can't go wrong with the aforementioned recommendations.

Garry is a very tight grader and couldn't be easier to work with, whilst Nick is like Blazing Bob - honest to a fault, and as good a grader in the business, period, on either side of the Atlantic.

One other chap who should get a mention is another Brit boardie, although he isn't on here all that often - Lance (herc2000). He has two ebay seller i.d.s - kungfugirl50 and herc2000. Super-tight grader as well and one of the unsung gentlemen of the hobby. Like Nick and Garry he specializes in Silver and Bronze as well as Moderns and some Gold. Definitely worth checking out.

Ditto what other posters have said.

Comicana (Flaming Telepath); Garry (Gaz973) and Andrew (Comicopolis) are the ones on the board I have used the most. I always know I can trust these sellers. I haven’t bought from Andrew (goldust40) but I know he’s one of the good guys too.

Most of the UK boardies who sell have a good reputation – we are a small close knit community who buy and sell to each other all the time.

Outside of the boards I have used kungfugirl50 from ebay with good friendly service.

Gary Kerr (When Titans Clash) is another favourite that I trust.

Stating the obvious: Avoid SilverAcre

Whilst it would be wrong for this thread to descend into a mutual admiration society, I can safely say that long before I entered the business of comic book selling I purchased from both Nick (FT) and Andy (Goldust) and know them both to be incredibly honest and ethical sellers.

And while I haven't bought from Garry before, I know him personally and would vouch for him all day long as an honest and straightforward guy. Similarly, I haven't bought from Comicopolis, (hell, I've even butted heads with him on matters of opinion on here a few times) but his reputation as an honest and ethical person precedes him.

I think the key factor is that what really counts when it comes to a seller is what happens when something goes wrong. I feel confident that with all these guys (and their US counterparts such as Bob Storms etc) is that if there is a problem they will step up and do the right thing. I hope the same applies to myself.

One great thing about the boards is that if someone on here has a decent reputation it is almost certainly well earned. I would always come here to get a second opinion on a seller I hadn't dealt with before.

Oh, and yeah, NEVER deal with Silver Acre!

One other chap who should get a mention is another Brit boardie, although he isn't on here all that often - Lance (herc2000). He has two ebay seller i.d.s - kungfugirl50 and herc2000. Super-tight grader as well and one of the unsung gentlemen of the hobby. Like Nick and Garry he specializes in Silver and Bronze as well as Moderns and some Gold. Definitely worth checking out.

ahhh i've always seen books i'm interested in on ebay being sold by kungfugirl, but i've been wary of ebay sellers for obvious reasons.

In the future i'll try book from kungfugirl and see how it goes :)

Thank you for the kind words Andy.

My experience is the obvious ones as well, Andy (goldust40) Nick (flamingtelepath), Gary (When titans clash), our own fellow boardie Garry as well ;-)

Bought two comics recently from ebay seller rockbottom40 and I was happy with their grading, but only ever dealt with them the once so far.

herc