• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luke Cage #1 - NM?

21 posts in this topic

Hi Gang -

Picked this up recently. High gloss, and superb paper quality. It has 5 hairline nicks along the spine that you must struggle to see (the scan makes the nicks much more prominent than they are to the eye.) A tiny impact to the LLC and the slightest finger dent to the right edge (next to the policeman's foot). The corners are just about perfect.

I can't see this being any less than a 9.2, any chance it could hit 9.4?

HFH1-front.jpg

On the back, the URC and LRC have the slightest bindery roughness, but are not torn. For some reason the scan makes these corners look funky... there is really nothing wrong with them.

HFH1-back.jpg

That back LRC seems fairly impacted. I think would keep it from grading higher. I think 9.2 would be an accurate grade, although a 9.0 would not surprise me either.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the scanner catches that corner oddly... there is really nothing there. There is no impact, just a slight bindery fuzz at the bottom of the spine.

HFH1-backcu.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gif

Probably not a 9.4, but I'd be surprised if it went lower than 9.2. It's a beauty! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks, Scott.

My gut reaction was 9.2. But after seeing some of the 9.4s in the grading contest, I have learned that I tend to be tougher than CGC in this grade range.

I'm debating if I want to flip it or not. Even if it grades out at 9.2, it will be a very nice flip for me. The other half of me wants to keep it for my collection because it's not often I get a book like this for a fraction of market value. wink.gifyay.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi Gang -

Picked this up recently. High gloss, and superb paper quality. It has 5 hairline nicks along the spine that you must struggle to see (the scan makes the nicks much more prominent than they are to the eye.) A tiny impact to the LLC and the slightest finger dent to the right edge (next to the policeman's foot). The corners are just about perfect.

If the flaws are over-emphasized, wouldn't the nice qualities be magnified proportionally as well?

So, it should all balance out in the scan.

Once again you are being hypnotized by good gloss and eye appeal, while ignoring a multitude of small, but cumulative flaws.

I can't see this being any less than a 9.2, any chance it could hit 9.4?

On the back, the URC and LRC have the slightest bindery roughness, but are not torn. For some reason the scan makes these corners look funky... there is really nothing wrong with them.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Zip, in spite of your defensiveness, It's a 9.4 hands down sumo.gifflowerred.gif

Beautiful copy, very HTF in grade, congrats! thumbsup2.gif

Incredibly nice book, Zipper - good job! Must be 9.2 at worst, a 9.4 wouldn't surprise me - it *is* an early Bronze Age black cover, after all. And if it comes back as a 9.4, ching ching! I'm pretty sure that a 9.4 recently sold on ebay for around $500 - enough to buy a trashed ASM #1! wink.gif

I've seen MTU 1's in 9.4 with more spine wear than that. Considering the size of the scan, those hairline nicks must be really faint. I would say it has a shot at 9.4, and if not it's a very strong 9.2. Killer book!

If the flaws are over-emphasized, wouldn't the nice qualities be magnified proportionally as well?

So, it should all balance out in the scan.

Once again you are being hypnotized by good gloss and eye appeal, while ignoring a multitude of small, but cumulative flaws.

Touche! tongue.gif I was waiting for this... 27_laughing.gif

flowerred.gif

Oh, quit waffling people!! Pick a goddamned grade and stand behind it!

I'll state unequivocally, for the record, that this book is a 9.3 without a dust-shadow of a doubt! insane.gif

Given the mislabeled Ghost Rider 1 that I just saw in another thread, this book's a 9.4 for sure, using CGC's new "BA forgiveness" criteria. Might even net a 9.6 if they keep softening in the Sarasota sun!

I'll state unequivocally, for the record, that this book is a 9.3 without a dust-shadow of a doubt! insane.gif

Between you and me, I was tempted to say something about it being a 9.3, but being new I feared being flamed for being too stupid to understand the grading system! wink.gif It still looks like a 9.2/4 to me 27_laughing.gif

Between you and me, I was tempted to say something about it being a 9.3, but being new I feared being flamed for being too stupid to understand the grading system! wink.gif It still looks like a 9.2/4 to me 27_laughing.gif

Ah, screw the humorless posters and have some fun - if they judge you that quickly based on a post that could well have been a joke, their approval shouldn't mean anything to you anyway...

...which is why I have so many friends on these boards wink.gif