• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone split for a grail?

30 posts in this topic

I have a friend who wants a grail just as badly as I do. The grade of the book we both want is rather high (=$$$$$) and we were contemplating whether or not we should split the cost and share ownership like that episode of the Simpsons. We've known each other a long time so trust isn't really an issue. We wouldn't know where to keep it for the most part and we would hope in 10-15 years that we could both resell for 2 lesser grade copies for each of us. What do you think? Should we just be greedy and get our own copies in low grade now or just go with an uber large grade and share? Has anyone been in this situation on here who can share their experience?

I'd never do it, but if it's purely for investment with a plan to sell it and a certain time or when it reaches a certain value, maybe. I'd say to store it in a safe deposit box and not at either persons personal location.

I'm sure you will have thought of this but if you go ahead you'll need to be very VERY clear with each other what the rules are about how and when you sell out. Ideally with a contract, but obviously between friends you might not want to do that.

For example: what if one of you wants to sell but the other doesn't? If the answer is that one buys the other out, how do you determine fair price? Etc. etc. What happens if one of you accidentally damages it during your ownership? If you keep it somewhere that isn't your place or his place, can you go and see it alone whenever you like, or do you both need to be there?

I know that all looks negative, and owning a great key that you otherwise wouldn't be able to afford on your own could be awesome - just personally, I wouldn't do something like this with a friend, and especially not a good one. There's too much that can go wrong and a comic book isn't worth losing a friend over imo.

I wouldn't do it. What would happen when one of you needs the money and wants to sell? If the other doesn't have the money/desire to buy out half the ownership, then they would have to sell.

I wouldn't do it. What would happen when one of you needs the money and wants to sell? If the other doesn't have the money/desire to buy out half the ownership, then they would have to sell.

+1

That's where I was at. If both parties were the kind of guys who could go to the bank and buy out the other guy at any given moment, I could see it working out. But if you don't have that kind of discretionary income available - I'd probably pass.

Dealer's partner up all the time...

I would think it would be different for two collectors who may have different plans/ideas.

If you value your friendship, don't commingle money.

I agree with Brock mixing friends and money is a great way to ruin a friendship.

Should we just be greedy and get our own copies in low grade now or just go with an uber large grade and share?

I would personally gain zero satisfaction from owning a grail that I had to share with someone. In fact, it would diminish the grail in my view by turning it into a commodity with divisible ownership interests. I can understand if two or more people did it for purely business/speculative purposes, but, as a collector, I don't see how you could ever be truly satisfied with this kind of arrangement.

There can be only one owner for the one true grail. :sumo:

I agree with pretty much everything above. More so how do you "share" a grail? timeshare? what if there a different opinions on how to handle it? (displaying vs not displaying?

This type of idea would only work if your looking to flip grails. Even then it could still test a friendship, but splitting costs, QUICKLY selling, and splitting the profits could potentially work. Certainly much better than splitting the cost for collecting purposes.

Buy the two lesser grade copies now. Get a picture of the two of you enjoying your books together. Frame and display.

Friendship rocks :headbang:

Definitely the better option. Too many variables that can go wrong and ruin the whole experience.

Buy the two lesser grade copies now. Get a picture of the two of you enjoying your books together. Frame and display.

Friendship rocks :headbang:

lol yes two copies of action 1 would be much easier than one!

If it were purely as a speculation play with plans to eventually sell it (at a certain price or time) then I'd consider it. Wouldn't do it for sure, but consider it.

If it's meant to be a keeper not a chance in heck I would co-own a book. I can't think of any redeeming factor. Even having it in my hands occasionally I would always know in the back of my mind it's not truly mine.