• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Tales to Astonish 27

23 posts in this topic

Im about to drop the hammer on this book. What do you think it grades at and what offer do you think would be reasonable

566 CGC American Versions

Only 6 Pence Copies CGC'ed

572 total

Only 1.05% of all CGC'ed TtA27's are pence so I think it makes it a little more rare

692030217_o_zpse6cbf69f.jpg

692030231_o_zps4c6071a6.jpg

I am looking at a 4.5 IMHO...

shoot your grading is more liberal than mine i was thinking at 3.0 at best (worship)hm

What do you think the American versus the Pence apples to apples in grade

Lets go with your 4.5

4.5 versus 4.5 whats your opinion in price

i was thinking at 3.0 at best (worship)hm

3.0 was the first number that came to me as well. Between the creasing around the CCA stamp & whatever is going on at the top of the back cover.

Is that a stain near the center of the back cover (just above the white text box?). I can't tell if it's a cloud or not.

i was thinking at 3.0 at best (worship)hm

3.0 was the first number that came to me as well. Between the creasing around the CCA stamp & whatever is going on at the top of the back cover.

Is that a stain near the center of the back cover (just above the white text box?). I can't tell if it's a cloud or not.

im not sure I dont have it in hand. What would be your offer if you were gonna buy it?

I’d say a VG, no less, around 4.0.

I wouldn’t press it: just try to agree on the stated grade (for the value), but I don’t like the idea of pressing valuable books in low grades. It has survived so well without pressing that I don’t see the need – it presents really nice.

This is one of the few Marvel books I would love to have if not so expensive, and in this case I would not be picky about it being a Pence copy. :)

I see this as 4.0/4.5. I'd be concerned about interior page quality, just to (badly) judge by the edge showing on the front cover scan.

i agree with you. i already assumne the pages are off white to tan

anything above a 3.0 is gravy to me.

not sure what kind of price to offer based on its a pence

Much Higher or Much Lower (shrug)

I’d say surely lower, but not much lower than if it was a normal book (and not a key).

I seem to recall normal books usually go for 60-70% the prices of dollar copies, but if they are more sought after books or keys the price difference tends to level and converge. Better ask to some UK collector, anyway – there was that thread about Pence copies where Kevin speaks about his Pence books. :)

I think 60% to 70% is about right. Looking on GPA the pence copies of TTA #27 went for 63%, 103%, 60%, and 79% of comparable sales around the same time as US versions. And the 103% was a case where the US version was CR/OW and the pence was W.

Nicer than 3.0, but I wouldn't cal it a 4.5 either.

3.5/4.0

That "stain" is part of the Daisy ad artwork, I wondered the same thing the first time I saw a scan of it, but it shows up every time.

I wouldn't know about value. Certainly scarcer, but also far less in demand than a cents copy. I seem to recall keys usually go for a better percentage than commons due to the affordability factor, and if you are selling in the UK you might even get parity.

I am looking at a 4.5 IMHO...

Now that I am looking at this on my home computer I would say this

is a MINIMUM 4.0 still with a shot at 4.5!!

I own CGC 4.0's that look much worse than this book does. BAM!!

Nicer than 3.0, but I wouldn't cal it a 4.5 either.

3.5/4.0

That "stain" is part of the Daisy ad artwork, I wondered the same thing the first time I saw a scan of it, but it shows up every time.

Thanks for confirming. I would up my estimate based on what you have stated, 3.5/4.0.