• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fantastic Four 48 & 49 Wormhole Edition

11 posts in this topic

Alright so here is a sad story, A worm has started at the side of #49 and eaten it's way sideways all the way through the back of #48, How much do you think this will effect the grade?

Also to make things better I overpaid for these what do you think the value would be? ...... Thanks in advance!

13112336953_3ed0219806_h.jpg

13112346883_bd8aafb606_h.jpg

13112537244_36f1a3d638_h.jpg

13112362143_4b86b40639_h.jpg

#48 Large scan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91392874@N05/13112336953/sizes/o/in/photostream/

#49 Large scan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91392874@N05/13112537244/sizes/o/in/photostream/

FF #48 = 2.0 IMHO! Too much staining and water damage to allow a higher grade!

FF #49 = 2.5 IMHO! Stains are less prevalent on this copy however there are full book length creases, colour loss at the bottom of the front cover and the worm hole that keep my grade from being any higher!

smiley-gen130.gif

Both in the 2.5 range.

I personally would rather buy a comic (assuming both are complete and readable) that had water damage, sun bleaching, or some type of stain rather than mouse/bug/rat chew. If I created my own standards, critter caused defects would be the most strictly graded defects :preach:

could not help it and the last one is what's eating your comic

I really could have done without the image of the bug lol .... Made my skin crawl, Luckily this happened before I purchased them, I paid $400 for these 2, X-men 14 and a NM TMNT #4 1st Print (thrown in for free and worth more than the others).... In the bag they looked pretty good and I didn't take them out to look at them (yeah I know) Didn't see the hole until I got home.... Oh well lesson learned... Thank you everyone for the grades, I can tell a difference between a 7.5-9.8 but not a 3.0-5.0... So opinions on the lower grade stuff really helps me!

I agree on the G+ because of the extensive water damage.

Although I would be happy with that #48, it’s better than mine… :insane:

RmE3WTal.jpg

I would take comfort that a bug hasn't crawled all over yours, Mine has probably been crapped inside of as well :(

Maybe, but mine has the paper cover which is pretty delicate (getting brittle around edges), and the top part risks to come off each time I read it.

You may have overpaid for them (I’m not familiar with the prices on the early X-Men), but at least the #48 looks nice. You may always have the luck to score a better #49 for a decent price (it’s not over-hyped as the #48 have been): it happened to me. :)

The #49 would not have been any better than a 3.0 due to water damage and creasing as it was, and with the bug chew wouldn't change much if it doesn't go into the art. 2.5 is a fair grade.The ink/paper loss, front cover staining, and front cover chew on the #48 put it closer to 2.0 for me.

If someone wanted to go .5 higher on each I wouldn't blink.