• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marker across the top of books in a box....PLOD?

13 posts in this topic

I just acquired a comic on ebay that looks like it was in a pile of books that had a blue marker run across the top of them (similar to distributor's spray but narrower and there is a spot that has bled through the cover).Under a magnifying loupe there doesn't seem to be any fibers or marks to indicate that there is a color break under the mark and it runs over to the pages and back cover very slightly. I really believe it was in a box of other books that had a marker run across the top.

My question is, if this mark is not covering up a defect (of which there are other's on the book clearly not touched up) what is the likelihood that this will come back PLOD? When I saw the bleedthrough on the top edge of the inner cover my heart stopped, then I thought "well, its distributor's ink" but its just really narrower than I'm used to.

Well its a black cover, but the blue is certainly visible up close...I can't see anyone attempting to touch up a cover on the edge, not hit any more cb spots but the center on the top edge (and which doesn't appear to be a spot in need of ct) or go over the cover and onto the pages and back cover intentionally. All in blue ink on a black cover. I need a pic....stupid phone's one is .

15 years ago, I worked at a Brentano's bookstore, which was owned by Waldenbooks. There were hundreds of locations across the country.

We received comics from two sources, a local distributor called Drown News, and a national distributor called Kable News. When we did returns, Drown News wanted the whole comic back, while Kable News just wanted the front cover. We differentiated between the two by marking the top of the Kable News books with a felt pen. It's possible that some stores marked their local distributor copies instead, and those copies could have survived.

15 years ago, I worked at a Brentano's bookstore, which was owned by Waldenbooks. There were hundreds of locations across the country.

We received comics from two sources, a local distributor called Drown News, and a national distributor called Kable News. When we did returns, Drown News wanted the whole comic back, while Kable News just wanted the front cover. We differentiated between the two by marking the top of the Kable News books with a felt pen. It's possible that some stores marked their local distributor copies instead, and those copies could have survived.

When I worked at the drug store during the early 70's, our magazine distributor routinely sprayed the edges of the bound comic stacks with ink, identifying the store the stack was to be delivered to. They did this even though there was blank newsprint on the top and bottom of each banded stack (that could have been similarly labeled). It was so the driver could look into the back of his truck and grab the right stacks for each store. It was never the same way (or color) twice (except if by accident).

When I worked at the drug store during the early 70's, our magazine distributor routinely sprayed the edges of the bound comic stacks with ink, identifying the store the stack was to be delivered to. They did this even though there was blank newsprint on the top and bottom of each banded stack (that could have been similarly labeled). It was so the driver could look into the back of his truck and grab the right stacks for each store. It was never the same way (or color) twice (except if by accident).

I would imagine by the 80s if not earlier, it became easier for distributors to mark stacks with a Sharpie than it did to spray the edge. I can't recall if I've seen books past the BA with actual ink spray on them.