• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FCC @ INDIANA COMIC CON REPORT

48 posts in this topic

Hello fellow boardies! :hi: As some of you already know FCC (Foreign Comic Collector) magazine is set up at the Indiana Comic Con. This is the inaugural outing for us to promote the magazine and the response from con-goers has been overwhelming!

On Friday it was steady, lots of folks stopping by to see what the deal is with all these books that look kind of familiar but aren't exactly what they're used to seeing. Define999 (Matt) and myself talked to a whole lot of people that are completely awestruck by the foreign editions we brought to display. We finally had the chance to meet TupennyConan as he was passing by the booth. We chatted for a while, very cool guy. (thumbs u At the end of the day I had Bob Layton sign a couple of books I brought along and talked to him a bit about his work that's been published outside the US.

Saturday was insane, the con sold out. :o In almost 30 years of being in and around comic cons I've never seen that happen. Shortly before the show opened we talked a little with George Perez about foreign books and his opinion of how his work has been handled by the publishers in other countries. He, in typical Perez fashion, had only positive things to say about it. Other than The Man himself I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about comics with the enthusiasm that he has. As we were waiting to talk to George we bumped into seanfingh, who has been running his off getting Signature Series submissions done for people. I'm hoping to catch up with him for a little bit tomorrow. There were a whole lot more people that came by and were just fascinated with the foreign books. We've just about run out of the copies of the magazine that we had printed for the convention. We're looking forward to Sunday!

Here's a couple of pics, we should have some more to post in a little while. :foryou:

The official FCC exhibitor badge.

image.jpg

That lscomics guy setting up the display wall on Friday morning.

image-1.jpg

The finished product.

image-2.jpg

I almost forgot! doh! We also got to meet fellow boardie Henro. He was on his way home in Cincinnati from a con in Louisville and stopped by to see us. He's got some of the most incredible books from Japan and knows his stuff like no one else. (thumbs u

I never gave any attention to foreign comics. Talking to you two sold me on them lol.

Amazing turn out at the show. They're were hundreds of people in line when they sold out. That venue is nice and yes plenty of space to exspand next year. Just getting the massive section they had set up for panles out of the main room would help tremendously. They needed twice as manyb workers as they had. Pretty in unorganized due to turn out.

A guy could have made a killing selling t-shirts and things $30 and under. They're was way way more buyers than sellers. Most of what was for sale was comics (always best).

I'm so excited for this to grow.

I never gave any attention to foreign comics. Talking to you two sold me on them lol.
You'll have to forgive me... with everyone we talked to today I spaced out seeing you. :blush: Remember, if you have any questions about anything just hit us up. (thumbs u

+ 1 that badge does look pretty sweet Tim :cool: Sounds like you had a blast down there ! Nice to hear you bumped into George Perez & got a little interview with him that was cool :applause: I just cant stop staring at your booth, I just want to buy something lol Thanks for sharing these Awesome pictures with us ! Glad to see you & Matt had fun (thumbs u Now you got me pumped about our foreign magazine that will be coming soon :banana:

where in the hell have you been? the sdcc and nycc sell out every year.
In almost 30 years of being in and around comic cons I've never seen that happen.
I'm referring to cons of smaller magnitude not the massive ones like SDCC & NYCC. :makepoint: Neither of which I've been to BTW.

The FCC booth was my favorite in Indy.

Got my copy of FCC#1!

:applause:

FYI... I've got that book I promised you secured. I'll let you know when it gets here and hit you up to get your address. (thumbs u

I can't believe how awesome some folks are in this hobby.

Thank you. (worship)

I'll post my FCC#1 when I get to the office shortly, after I catch-up on a few hundred emails & phone calls in my other businesses.
:applause:

It was a great weekend overall for FCC. We weren't selling anything, just promoting the magazine. If I had been selling books I could have easily gone home with 2-3K in my pocket. There were that many people interested. I think you guys did a great job of correcting problems when they arose and (depending on my schedule) look forward to coming back next year.

I don't recall if I mentioned it before but there was one dealer (Josh) who had two long boxes of foreign books. He said that normally on a busy Saturday at a con he'd do about $200 in sales out of those two boxes. He did that much on Friday and his weekend take, just from his two boxes of foreign editions, totaled about $1400 and the majority of what he had to offer was more modern stuff, although he did have some Copper and Bronze books. IMO this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the comic collecting populace views these books as more than just reprints in another language, from another country. Foreign publishers have been adapting American comic books for their own markets going back as far as the 1940s and many of those books are just as old as their US counterparts within a time frame ranging as close as 3 months to the original publication dates here in the States. On top of that, the print runs were (in many cases) much lower, climate conditions in those countries are not conducive to preserving paper and there wasn't (and in certain cases still isn't) any access to bags and boards. Collectors in those countries also weren't and sometimes still aren't concerned with grades so sometimes finding books in Fine or better can be a considerable challenge. There is unquestionably a market in the US for foreign editions and it's time for American dealers to start taking them seriously. 2c