• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM DD Man without Fear 4, 5

24 posts in this topic

Okay, I will try this again with lessons learned from last time.

I cleaned the scanner and took 600 dpi scans.

Green label for the sigs, yes I know. The rest I am clueless about.

<a  href=mwofear45front_zps48a567e9.jpg' alt='mwo

mwofear45_zps2c6236a0.jpg

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Besides, this thread is to learn, and I am learning about the 8.0s-9.whatevers. Unfortunately I don't have ASM 129s in those grades so I got to learn with what I got.

The black covers can be unforgiving when it comes to scratches and wear. There are a few minor issues with both copies. Corners that aren't quite as sharp as they could be and minor colour chipping along edges. Added to the scratches on the black covers my estimate is:

DDMWF #4 = 9.2 GL

DDMWF #5 = 9.0 GL

IMHO!smiley-gen130.gif

Thanks timern! And thanks for the notes as well, that helps.

My pleasure. Just remember that grading from a scan isn't necessarily accurate and just like CGC having at least three grade estimates is best to try and get some sort of consensus.

Hope to see some more of your treasures!smiley-gen130.gif

I'm with the program-(4) 9.2 and(5) 9.4

the back covers look like ink was running low so thats a print defect not abrasion wear

I'm with the program-(4) 9.2 and(5) 9.4

the back covers look like ink was running low so thats a print defect not abrasion wear

Ha! Thanks kav. These are the first books I asked to have graded that even approach 9.whatever status. Okay, off to GPA. (Did I say that right?)

The scans show so much that you don't see with the naked eye in my opinion. It is fascinating.

If I get sucked in this freakin' black whole I'm gonna regret it! I can't afford my OA goals as it is.

Not as optimistic as the rest here. The scuffing and scratches are considerable on the back covers of both of these books. Black covers are brutal to get a high grade in, believe me.

The books look pretty darn black to me, although the slight difference among the two exists. But now we're really talking about the crappy lighting in my house and how much the scanner is adding.

Beyond all that, Dr.X how low do you go on them? hit me with your best shot baby, I need to get it straight and true. (Too much?)

I have had about 5 other books in this thread and always think the books are better than I am showing. The DD issues are getting more handling this weekend than ever before, but they are pristine as far as MY books go. The Frank Miller shortbox actually looks pretty good overall and is making me think about submitting for the first time.

Vault maybe? :kidaround:

Not as optimistic as the rest here. The scuffing and scratches are considerable on the back covers of both of these books. Black covers are brutal to get a high grade in, believe me.

I agree... I think your looking at #4 (9.0) #5 (8.5). From my experience the few moderns I've sent CGC they're very tough on moderns. I'd be curious to see how these grade out in the event you send them to CGC?

well, I am too stupid to navigate the cgc site, so fugg all this right now. I have only managed to search the census easily once or twice in the ten or so times I have tried and tonight ain't the night apparently.

thanks for the grades though.

maybe I'll bust out my DD 181 and some Ronin or DKR next. I started framing my OA and slabbing suddenly appeals to me in a limited scenario as it has not before. So if I do it they have to be my best books, so thanks again for the help.

i think CGCing modern books a waste of time-there's plenty of high grade issues so whats the point