• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Idea for a New Kind of Comic Store

76 posts in this topic

Hypothetical situation.

I have three hundred books I'd like to move.

I can pay you monthly rent, plus a percentage of the sales price and gain the ability to sell them to anyone who walks thru your door.

Or,

I can pay a one time shipping cost, send them to mycomicshop, sell them to anyone who either searches their website or looks for the item on ebay, and pay them 10% of the sales price.

Your idea may have worked twenty years ago, but I don't see it working today.

Great point.

You'd have to have exclusives in order to cut down on the "in-store" competition. One GA guy One SA guy. One BA guy. One copper/modern. One statue. One GN/TPB, etc. Now the same guy can have more than one category, but this solves your competition problem. And you can charge more this way. "You'll have the only GA stock in the store!"

Why do you have to cut down on in-store competition? People will see what is selling and at what prices they're selling for, and they will stock those things accordingly. I'm not sure, with tens of thousands of different comic titles, I would want to limit one specific age to only one co-op member.

Hypothetical situation.

I can pay you monthly rent, plus a percentage of the sales price and gain the ability to sell them to anyone who walks thru your door.

Or,

I can pay a one time shipping cost, send them to mycomicshop, sell them to anyone who either searches their website or looks for the item on ebay, and pay them 10% of the sales price.

But the MCS minimum for taking consignments is $50 per item, no? For good stuff like that you're better exposing it to the entirety of the internet. But rcheli has been talking about X-Guy #3s and such. Totally different.

In a way, his concept is like a local version of newkadia, isn't it?

Anyway, rcheli has said here that it's basically a regular store with 80% normal stuff and the other 20% would be more back issues than more stores, aided by the antique mall concept/rcheli multiple chef concept.

Having a bit more emphasis on back issues can work. We've seen people like Bunky Brothers and QualityComix go this route with lots of back issues.

Frankly, take something like Wolverine mini 1-4 or Miller Daredevils and I'd rather be the sole consignor at a shop with those books than try to sell that stuff online where everyone has copies for sale. As rcheli said, you could get full retail over time without much work.

Marc

Blob's brain hurts after reading this proposal.

Why not consignment where you are selective about what you're taking on consignment so as to not fill up your booth with junkola or even "ok" stuff? Guy brings in a short box of books and you break the news to him that you really only want 40 of them for your boxes. Put some sort of ID on them, etc...

It isn't like I haven't been to shops where seemingly 60% of the back issues were on consignment (though usually only from 2 or 3 sellers). of course, both the shops that i have in mind shut down and I found it incredibly hard to shop at them because every time i pulled out some book i was told "sorry, i can't make a deal on that, it isn't mine" and invariably these books were marked at WAY over market.

I've never been to any shop that has anything more than one or two big-ticket items up for consignment. And, as I mentioned above, each co-op member would have a predetermined discount they would allow for their stock. This is no different than antique malls. You go up to the counter, and 99% of the time, it's not the person whose stall you're looking to bargain for. But they pull out a binder and determine that the best they'll do is 10% or whatever.

Hypothetical situation.

Or,

I don't think you're consigning $5-$20 books at mycomicshop, though, are you? Perhaps for big-ticket items, that'd be the way to go, but the vast majority of sales in comic stores are for items below $20.

I mean, having high-priced Golden Age comics would be great for the store, but they just don't sell very quickly. I shop at one of the busiest stores in the country (a Graham Crackers in downtown Chicago) and I can tell you that the same dozen books are on display in their showcase that were there a year ago. (And it's not because of overly high prices, either.) These comics just don't sell that quickly.

Comics that do sell quickly are hot books or high-grade, affordable Silver and Bronze books. That's what I'd like the co-op members to add to the store.

But the MCS minimum for taking consignments is $50 per item, no? For good stuff like that you're better exposing it to the entirety of the internet. But rcheli has been talking about X-Guy #3s and such. Totally different.

Anyway, rcheli has said here that it's basically a regular store with 80% normal stuff and the other 20% would be more back issues than more stores, aided by the antique mall concept/rcheli multiple chef concept.

Having a bit more emphasis on back issues can work. We've seen people like Bunky Brothers and QualityComix go this route with lots of back issues.

Frankly, take something like Wolverine mini 1-4 or Miller Daredevils and I'd rather be the sole consignor at a shop with those books than try to sell that stuff online where everyone has copies for sale. As rcheli said, you could get full retail over time without much work.

Marc

Thanks. I think you get it.

The co-op idea is to merely enhance a shop's stock and allow for good stuff to continue to come in, where it's not always easy to do that when you're running a store. Hunting for things is a full-time job.

If you have a store that has hot stuff available all the time, people are going to come back and buy more hot stuff as well as regular stuff, like that week's issues.

This sounds like a great idea. I used to sell comic books (drek) out of an antique mall and did pretty good. They charged me for the space and got a small percentage.

It was up to the seller to put on tags on the books that the mall provided. The tags would would have a space number, assigned to the seller, a line for what it was, and a line for how much. When ever something would sell the tag would be pulled off and saved in a place the owners use to prove transaction. At the end of the month you could see all of your pulled tags and how much you sold.

To help keep from theft there would be people employed to walk around the mall helping customers and opening showcases for them and would carry anything they picked up to counter.

Hypothetical situation.

Or,

Great point.

I respectfully disagree. We see a lot of small shows where people show up with a lot of $1.00 comics and sell quite a bit of them. The seller had to pay for the space to be there, his time, and usually it is only for one day. Imagine having some sellers like that in one spot all month long. Older comics in a showcase.

Marc

Thanks. I think you get it.

The co-op idea is to merely enhance a shop's stock and allow for good stuff to continue to come in, where it's not always easy to do that when you're running a store. Hunting for things is a full-time job.

If you have a store that has hot stuff available all the time, people are going to come back and buy more hot stuff as well as regular stuff, like that week's issues.

sounds like you are pretty confident in your idea so I would say go for it (thumbs u

let us know how it works out for you.

Hypothetical situation.

Or,

Great point.

I respectfully disagree. We see a lot of small shows where people show up with a lot of $1.00 comics and sell quite a bit of them. The seller had to pay for the space to be there, his time, and usually it is only for one day. Imagine having some sellers like that in one spot all month long. Older comics in a showcase.

i was just about to bring something along the lines of this up

what are the benefits to selling at this place over setting up a booth at a local show where there may be more attraction of customers?

This doesn't take away from doing shows. There aren't local shows every month. There are antique shows, yet look how many antique stores there are. A toy dealer friend of mine, who sold at some shows, also had a large space in an antique mall and was bringing home over $3,000 a month. I had around 5+ long boxes in there of 50 cent comics and was bringing home an average of $500 a month after fees and that was without even trying.

I have read numerous people on here claiming that they have boxes of drek that they don't know what to do with. Imagine taking 10-20+ boxes to a place that is open 6-7 days a week that will charge you around $200 a month plus percentage to sell your books for you. One rule in the mall was that we come around 2 or 3 months and upkeep your space. I loved going there every month and picking up a check.

Not a dreadful idea, but it's rather like reinventing the wheel.

Take books on consignment. Charge 10% of sale price to have them in-store, 12% if the consignor wants them displayed on shelf space. It really is that easy.

Oh, and whether you go the consignment route or the 'antiques mall' route, you really do need to grade every raw item yourself or you run the risk of ruining your reputation.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Just to let everyone know, this was in no way a solicitation for business or to be part of this crazy thing. I'm a long way off from opening anything, but if/when I do, I'll keep everyone posted (because I'm sure you'll all be waiting with bated breath).

One of the greatest challenges of owning/operating a comic book store is trying to keep/maintain customers. I really don`t see many people into buying comic books like they did in the 1990s to sustain a new store, especially the way you want it. You would probably make money renting the space out, but eventually the renters would realize they have lost money and abandon you.

2c

This is no different then a flea market. It won't work.

There is no business success and growth in being a flea market merchant.

People in a flea market generally do it as a hobby to leverage their personal collection and they have another source of income.

Nothing replaces hard work, sacrifice and ambition to be an upstart business. These are qualities you won't find in people working a flea market or co-op scenario.

People in a flea market generally do it as a hobby to leverage their personal collection and they have another source of income.

Nothing replaces hard work, sacrifice and ambition to be an upstart business. These are qualities you won't find in people working a flea market or co-op scenario.

lol

*Drops mic* [walks off]

The part about having comics at an antique mall interested me, however.... and that is having comics in places where you wouldn't necessarily have any competitors. Parents with children are always around and having cheap disposable entertainment options seems to be a nice way to make some extra money.

I have an idea for a new kind of store-it's the karma comic store-owner opens up everyday puts a box on counter and leaves. people come in and put whatever money they feel a comic is worth to them in the box. sometimes it's more, sometimes less so it evens out. at the end of the day, owner comes in, gathers money, restocks and leaves.

I don't know where you get the idea this is like a flea market. This is a comic book store, selling new and old comics, trades, comic-related merchandise, etc. There would be one owner-operator -- me -- but I would pull some of my stock from outside dealers to make the stock fuller, better.

This doesn't take away from doing shows. There aren't local shows every month. There are antique shows, yet look how many antique stores there are. A toy dealer friend of mine, who sold at some shows, also had a large space in an antique mall and was bringing home over $3,000 a month. I had around 5+ long boxes in there of 50 cent comics and was bringing home an average of $500 a month after fees and that was without even trying.

I have read numerous people on here claiming that they have boxes of drek that they don't know what to do with. Imagine taking 10-20+ boxes to a place that is open 6-7 days a week that will charge you around $200 a month plus percentage to sell your books for you. One rule in the mall was that we come around 2 or 3 months and upkeep your space. I loved going there every month and picking up a check.

Don't imagine it. Do the actual math. Twenty boxes of drek that might sell for a dollar each. Lets say that in four months, you sell 25%- which is a very high turnover for back issues. So you sold 500 books for a dollar each, paid $800 dollars in rent and $50 in commissions. Great for the store owner, not so great for you.

You say you had Five long boxes of books you were selling for 50 cents each and pulling in $500 a month doing so? Thats about an 80% turnover each month. I've never seen a shop do anywhere near that. In the 80s, when B.I.were a major part of a shops revenue, I managed about 10%.