• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Idea for a New Kind of Comic Store

76 posts in this topic

Couple of "giant headache" concerns:

1. how are books "checked in"? I assume seller and you view each and every book to attach a grade. Otherwise I claim my book was a 9.8 and after being in your store for 30 days it now has 7 spine ticks.

2. How am I as a seller protected from damaged goods/ stolen property?

What about haggling? Does every back issue come with a hidden figure the owner will allow you to haggle down to?

That's the same as at an antiques mall or even consignment--all prearranged with the seller. Probably 10% off.

I'd think you'd want to start small with this idea with you as the chef and very few consignors. And perhaps start more as a consignment friendly shop than the full co-op type idea.

What about haggling? Does every back issue come with a hidden figure the owner will allow you to haggle down to?

No. You as the seller determine the best you would allow overall. So as seller number 3, there would be a note in the sales binder that states you allow up to an x% discount on purchases above a certain level. This is how they do it at antique malls.

Couple of "giant headache" concerns:

1. how are books "checked in"? I assume seller and you view each and every book to attach a grade. Otherwise I claim my book was a 9.8 and after being in your store for 30 days it now has 7 spine ticks.

2. How am I as a seller protected from damaged goods/ stolen property?

Honestly, if you're worried about a 9.8 common back issue dropping a grade, a retail situation wouldn't be for you. Now high grade, high value books would be better protected and would likely remain in the same condition because they wouldn't be handled by just anyone.

Sounds like a bad idea. Too many chefs in the kitchen. I can't see it working.

There is only one chef -- me. There are some line cooks however.

If I have my books in there, I ain't no line cook.

Then this probably wouldn't be a situation for you. Minimizing chefs will, probably in the long run, Minimize problems.

Along a similar vein as the antique mall idea, but instead of unmanned booths in a large store, set up kiosks/units that can individually be managed. Kind of like those indoor malls in Chinatown, New York (first example I thought of). Each vendor can be responsible for their own stock and sales. Just charge rent for the unit. Ensure that kiosks are manned Saturdays-Sundays; rest of week optional. It can be a permanent mini-con. On weekends, bring in creators, host events, pillow fight nights, whatever. Part of the appeal is that there's one centralized spot for buying and selling throughout the year.

What if you and the line cooks have the same back issues, is it a reverse bidding war to attract customers? Still don't see the appeal for the "line cooks" theyre paying you for space, no real incentive for them, they can can set up an estore, continue on ebay, this board and conventions to sell. Sounds like a better idea than paying you monthy, paying you for what they sell, and still "working for you" If I were a seller, I still didn't see the part where it would benefit me.

+1 to the shoplifting/missing items problems

Along a similar vein as the antique mall idea, but instead of unmanned booths in a large store, set up kiosks/units that can individually be managed. Kind of like those indoor malls in Chinatown, New York (first example I thought of). Each vendor can be responsible for their own stock and sales. Just charge rent for the unit. Ensure that kiosks are manned Saturdays-Sundays; rest of week optional. It can be a permanent mini-con. On weekends, bring in creators, host events, pillow fight nights, whatever. Part of the appeal is that there's one centralized spot for buying and selling throughout the year.

I think the point is that the co-op members wouldn't have to be there. That would be the benefit. Sell their stuff but not have to spend 20 hours a week doing so.

What if you and the line cooks have the same back issues, is it a reverse bidding war to attract customers? Still don't see the appeal for the "line cooks" theyre paying you for space, no real incentive for them, they can can set up an estore, continue on ebay, this board and conventions to sell. Sounds like a better idea than paying you monthy, paying you for what they sell, and still "working for you" If I were a seller, I still didn't see the part where it would benefit me.

The lowest priced items would be put out for sale first. When a copy sells, the next lowest priced book would be pulled from overstock.

The benefit is they don't have to do all the extra work of an estore, especially shipping. How many people are willing to set up an eBay store that has 500 items? Also, do you know how much that costs a month? $50. More than that and it jumps to $200 a month.

The lowest priced items would be put out for sale first. When a copy sells, the next lowest priced book would be pulled from overstock.

The benefit is they don't have to do all the extra work of an estore, especially shipping. How many people are willing to set up an eBay store that has 500 items? Also, do you know how much that costs a month? $50. More than that and it jumps to $200 a month.

they'd have direct competition within their "own" store? yes?

Sure. But as a member of the co-op, you would know how the stock is being priced.

You would have a unique login to the database. It would show you what of yours sold, how much you got for it, and a larger database of the complete stock including what sold and for how much. So you see that there are 3 copies of X Guy #3 in NM in stock, priced at $1, $1.25 and $2. You could certainly add your own at whatever price you want, but you also notice that there were no copies of that specific book sold at any price for the past 6 months. So you may want to hold back.

The biggest benefit for sellers is that the buyers wouldn't know whose book is whose. So they come in and buy 10 different comics from 6 different sellers, but that doesn't mean anything. They were happy with their 10 comics. You, as one of those sellers, gets paid for the comic that was purchased, as were the other 5.

Also, the back-issue part of any comic store is probably only around 20% (on the high end) of business. So I wouldn't expect thousands of dollars every month to come in. However, you're also going to be getting retail prices for your stuff -- no eBay prices -- and you wouldn't have to pack and ship a thing. Selling to 100 different sellers in a month is just like selling to one.

Blob's brain hurts after reading this proposal.

Why not consignment where you are selective about what you're taking on consignment so as to not fill up your booth with junkola or even "ok" stuff? Guy brings in a short box of books and you break the news to him that you really only want 40 of them for your boxes. Put some sort of ID on them, etc...

It isn't like I haven't been to shops where seemingly 60% of the back issues were on consignment (though usually only from 2 or 3 sellers). of course, both the shops that i have in mind shut down and I found it incredibly hard to shop at them because every time i pulled out some book i was told "sorry, i can't make a deal on that, it isn't mine" and invariably these books were marked at WAY over market.

Sure. But as a member of the co-op, you would know how the stock is being priced.

You would have a unique login to the database. It would show you what of yours sold, how much you got for it, and a larger database of the complete stock including what sold and for how much. So you see that there are 3 copies of X Guy #3 in NM in stock, priced at $1, $1.25 and $2. You could certainly add your own at whatever price you want, but you also notice that there were no copies of that specific book sold at any price for the past 6 months. So you may want to hold back.

The biggest benefit for sellers is that the buyers wouldn't know whose book is whose. So they come in and buy 10 different comics from 6 different sellers, but that doesn't mean anything. They were happy with their 10 comics. You, as one of those sellers, gets paid for the comic that was purchased, as were the other 5.

Also, the back-issue part of any comic store is probably only around 20% (on the high end) of business. So I wouldn't expect thousands of dollars every month to come in. However, you're also going to be getting retail prices for your stuff -- no eBay prices -- and you wouldn't have to pack and ship a thing. Selling to 100 different sellers in a month is just like selling to one.

You'd have to have exclusives in order to cut down on the "in-store" competition. One GA guy One SA guy. One BA guy. One copper/modern. One statue. One GN/TPB, etc. Now the same guy can have more than one category, but this solves your competition problem. And you can charge more this way. "You'll have the only GA stock in the store!"

Hypothetical situation.

I have three hundred books I'd like to move.

I can pay you monthly rent, plus a percentage of the sales price and gain the ability to sell them to anyone who walks thru your door.

Or,

I can pay a one time shipping cost, send them to mycomicshop, sell them to anyone who either searches their website or looks for the item on ebay, and pay them 10% of the sales price.

Your idea may have worked twenty years ago, but I don't see it working today.

Hypothetical situation.

I have three hundred books I'd like to move.

I can pay you monthly rent, plus a percentage of the sales price and gain the ability to sell them to anyone who walks thru your door.

Or,

I can pay a one time shipping cost, send them to mycomicshop, sell them to anyone who either searches their website or looks for the item on ebay, and pay them 10% of the sales price.

Your idea may have worked twenty years ago, but I don't see it working today.

Great point, Bill.

Now, an idea I've had for almost the entire 19 years I've owned my shop is....

Drive-thru window.

I had a dream like this once, my lcs had merged with a McDonalds and both were available through the drive though. Was *spooning* awesome!

Now, an idea I've had for almost the entire 19 years I've owned my shop is....

Drive-thru window.

I had a dream like this once, my lcs had merged with a McDonalds and both were available through the drive though. Was *spooning* awesome!

You, mind friend, are a fellow Renaissance Man! :headbang: