• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey's #1 Enemy of ALL TIME?

79 posts in this topic

Readers who say modern stories suck but forget the oh so wonderful early years.

Like when Spiderman thwarted the villainous Sandman with a.............shop vac? lol

The very same Sandman that was part of the Sinister Six, assembled and led by none other than Doc Ock! :baiting:

Every villain is a bumbling fool. Your Gobby punched his own ticket due to incompetence.

Ock got the job done.

Case closed. =)

I was going to say Green Goblin, but I never read a Todd Mac Spidey,, wasn't aware that Doc Ock became Spidey, nor do I give a hoot about any of that.

I know you said you don't/didn't read newer Spidey's but Doc Ock taking over Peter Parker's body is not a Mcfarlane thing it happened in ASM #700 and continues in Superior Spider-Man. I myself am liking the Superior Spider-Man. It is hard to top what Doctor Octopus has done here.

But, it is very close to pick between the two: Green Goblin VS Doctor Octopus. Both have brought much, much torment to 'ole Spidey. Doc Ock has easily fought Spidey more times and appeared much more. I can't honestly decide though.

Venom is up there, scaring the out of MJ, visiting Aunt May and all that. He is awesome but not quite in league with Green Goblin and Doc Ock in my opinion.

Someone make a poll!

Marvel is Spidey's worst enemy, disagree? Read Brand New Day, One More Day, Clone Saga, etc.

you beat me to the punch.

Joe Quesada did more horrible things Spidey than any comic book villain.

Assuming any appearance by a villain has some villainy behind it...

Doc Oc: 105 ASM appearances

Green Goblin: 58 ASM appearances

Green Goblin certainly had the early lead, but Doc Oc certainly came on strong of late.

As a reader of ASM #121 when it first hit the stands, nothing Doc Ock had ever done knocked the wind out of me the way Gwen's death did. I'll always answer this question with The Green Goblin.

I stopped reading ASM (and all comics) around #389 (1994), so this opinion is based only on that continuity. Based largely by word of mouth, I never had the desire to bring myself up to date with the title when I returned to the hobby.

Assuming any appearance by a villain has some villainy behind it...

Considering Green Goblin died and Marvel didn't retcon his corpse back to life for a few decades, the fact that the numbers are even close is the amazing part. To be fair, you should really include the Hobgoblin appearances, since that was his defacto replacement during the 80's and 90's.

The Green Goblin is by far Spidey's arch-enemy, and he was admittedly designed that way.

Quick question: When creating the very first big-budget Spider-man movie for the world to see, which villain did they pick? hm

While GG makes a very compelling case, the fact that Doc Ock became Spidey is a pretty big deal

Come on, that is an old and hackneyed cliche now, and don't you remember Kraven taking over the Spider-man persona too?

Kraven took his own life (automatic disqualification)

Who cares? I am not picking Kraven as his arch-enemy. :facepalm:

I am referring to the oh-so-uninformed statement that Doc Ock taking over the Spidey persona is somehow new or innovative, when it's happened in the past.