• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey's #1 Enemy of ALL TIME?

79 posts in this topic

While GG makes a very compelling case, the fact that Doc Ock became Spidey is a pretty big deal

Come on, that is an old and hackneyed cliche now, and don't you remember Kraven taking over the Spider-man persona too?

Kraven took his own life (automatic disqualification)

Who cares? I am not picking Kraven as his arch-enemy. :facepalm:

I am referring to the oh-so-uninformed statement that Doc Ock taking over the Spidey persona is somehow new or innovative, when it's happened in the past.

I'm afraid your statement is the uninformed one. Doc Ock deleted Spiderman from his body and his own book. Been done before? Nope!

Green Goblin is a good villain for Spiderman, but I can't ever consider him his greatest foil when his biggest claim to fame for me is he was careless enough to kill himself.

As for the movie, he may have been first, but Spidey 2 is the far superior film that happens to have who as the villain? Yeah.

While GG makes a very compelling case, the fact that Doc Ock became Spidey is a pretty big deal

Come on, that is an old and hackneyed cliche now, and don't you remember Kraven taking over the Spider-man persona too?

I am referring to the oh-so-uninformed statement that Doc Ock taking over the Spidey persona is somehow new or innovative, when it's happened in the past.

I'm afraid your statement is the uninformed one.

Nope, Kraven took over the Spider-man persona, which is what we're talking about. Who cares is one happened in the 80's, when comics were far different than today, and no meth-fueled hack thought to create a "New Number 1" to market to the dateless fanboys.

Kraven took over the Spider-man costume, role and persona. End of story.

#1- Green Goblin - No one has done more damage to spider-man than him. Pete and Gwen so in love= a life long wound that never fully heals and changes spider-man forever.

#2 Doc Ock- stood the time of time but will never do the damage Goblin did- I hope

Doc Ock for me.

The Master Planner trilogy cemented Doctor Octopus as Spidey's #1 villain.

The Green Goblin is right there, too. The clever thing about the Green Goblin was that, unlike all the previous villains, we didn't know who he was and he was never captured.

I'm talking Ditko era, here.

While GG was definitely Spider-Man's arch-villain, as planned by Ditko and Lee, the Doctor Octopus story in ASM #31- 33 was the intense challenge that granted Peter his greatest boon in the discovery of self-knowledge. It was the climax of Peter's growth on his "hero's journey". Think Joseph Campbell's The Hero of a Thousand Faces.

Given Ditko's penchant for story structure and his philosophical definition of a Hero, I can see him applying Campbell's theory to Peter's personal journey as Spider-Man.

I'd be surprised if Ditko hadn't read the book, and wasn't influenced by it, as so many storytellers have.

Either way, I think most Spidey fans would think GG and Doc Ock could be "interchangeable" as to who is the #1 and #2 villain...

For me, it has to go to GG for the pure horror and pain he inflicted upon Spidey with the death of Gwen and the 'spirit' of GG that 'took over' Harry, forcing Spidey to fight his best friend and the Hobgoblin is even part of GG's legacy. Even upon his return Norman managed to become the head of HAMMER and put one over the heroes for awhile...

Dock Ock is definitely a close second to GG though, for sure.

I am not sure who I would place at third overall though, but I think it would have to be Venom.

Either way, I think most Spidey fans would think GG and Doc Ock could be "interchangeable" as to who is the #1 and #2 villain...

For me, it has to go to GG for the pure horror and pain he inflicted upon Spidey with the death of Gwen and the 'spirit' of GG that 'took over' Harry, forcing Spidey to fight his best friend and the Hobgoblin is even part of GG's legacy. Even upon his return Norman managed to become the head of HAMMER and put one over the heroes for awhile...

I am not sure who I would place at third overall though, but I think it would have to be Venom.

It would have to be Kingpin for me as the third overall.

It would have to be Kingpin for me as the third overall.

Oak, very good point actually...I had him rated around 4 as he seemed to back off Spidey a bit once he became DD's arch enemy...

Doc Ock for me.

The Master Planner trilogy cemented Doctor Octopus as Spidey's #1 villain.

The Green Goblin is right there, too. The clever thing about the Green Goblin was that, unlike all the previous villains, we didn't know who he was and he was never captured.

I'm talking Ditko era, here.

While GG was definitely Spider-Man's arch-villain, as planned by Ditko and Lee, the Doctor Octopus story in ASM #31- 33 was the intense challenge that granted Peter his greatest boon in the discovery of self-knowledge. It was the climax of Peter's growth on his "hero's journey". Think Joseph Campbell's The Hero of a Thousand Faces.

Given Ditko's penchant for story structure and his philosophical definition of a Hero, I can see him applying Campbell's theory to Peter's personal journey as Spider-Man.

I'd be surprised if Ditko hadn't read the book, and wasn't influenced by it, as so many storytellers have.

This. Great points!

Doc Ock #1 villain (as he is still chugging along - killed CPT Stacy and has a thing for Aunt May) - ASM ANN 15 was an awesome story showing how nuts he really is.

Norman Osborne Gobby #2 villain - Killed Gwen. Boo boo on all the clone afterwards.

Kingpin #3, even though he loved him some Daredevil as well.

Boy oh boy you guys are all wrong. The biggest enemy is

AUNT MAY

I mean come on, she's dying in every issue, he has to bring her some kind of med to stay alive. She always Anti Spider-man (ohhh my heart, that dreadful Spiderman blah blah blah) She gets all horny for Doc Ock (More Conflict), She dies and yet comes back to life (Clone Saga). She yells at Parker to grow up, be a man, she marries his enemy J.J.J. father. The list goes on.

If Aunt May says Jump - Peter Jumps, If Aunt May says Peter "Your Uncle Ben would be disappointed" Peter Cringes and regrets everything he does.

Aunt May has become the Chastity belt for Peter, I mean seriously put the old lady in a home at this point, and move on.

Aunt May will outlive Wolverine at this point in time, and Peter will always be a slave to her mind control powers!

Boy oh boy you guys are all wrong. The biggest enemy is

AUNT MAY

I mean come on, she's dying in every issue, he has to bring her some kind of med to stay alive. She always Anti Spider-man (ohhh my heart, that dreadful Spiderman blah blah blah) She gets all horny for Doc Ock (More Conflict), She dies and yet comes back to life (Clone Saga). She yells at Parker to grow up, be a man, she marries his enemy J.J.J. father. The list goes on.

If Aunt May says Jump - Peter Jumps, If Aunt May says Peter "Your Uncle Ben would be disappointed" Peter Cringes and regrets everything he does.

Aunt May has become the Chastity belt for Peter, I mean seriously put the old lady in a home at this point, and move on.

Aunt May will outlive Wolverine at this point in time, and Peter will always be a slave to her mind control powers!

^^

Not to mention Uncle Ben-if he hadn't got killed Parker would have had a lucrative career as a wrestler.

I'm afraid your statement is the uninformed one.

Nope, Kraven took over the Spider-man persona, which is what we're talking about. Who cares is one happened in the 80's, when comics were far different than today, and no meth-fueled hack thought to create a "New Number 1" to market to the dateless fanboys.

Kraven took over the Spider-man costume, role and persona. End of story.

Who is the "Meth-fueled hack"?