• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is pressing restoration?

Is pressing restoration (non disassembly)?  

399 members have voted

1. 1. Is pressing restoration (non disassembly)?

45 posts in this topic

For those that submit books for grading I'll pose a question

Would you send your books to a diffrent grading company if they listed items like pressing the on lable? Myself I would! but I would also have no problem with a pressed book that was priced right!

I think CGC does themselves a disservice with the flip flop on pressing for few short term $$

FULL DISCLOSURE of any process that has been carried out on the book is what I would like to see. Any company that can provide this gets my vote. thumbsup2.gif

For those that submit books for grading I'll pose a question

Would you send your books to a diffrent grading company if they listed items like pressing the on lable? Myself I would! but I would also have no problem with a pressed book that was priced right!

I think CGC does themselves a disservice with the flip flop on pressing for few short term $$

It has been shown that most large dealers want the info supressed (look at the decline in the amount of helpful data on the label).

"Disclose it" is more a buyers desire............

With all due respect, that is simply not true. They cannot detect pressing 100% of the time. No one disputes that.

However, they can detect pressing when:

(1) Chris Freissen at PCS presses the book just down the hallway; and

(2) When a pedigree, or otherwise known, book is resubmitted for a better grade and it jumps from, for example, a 5.0 to a 9.0.

They do not want to identify pressing b/c it conflicts with their business model. Plain and simple. It is a question of money, not policy.

Noted and understood, although I was talking only about "detection" and not about direct knowlege. Does this therefore mean that the board members want CGC to note pressing if they have direct knowledge of pressing but reluctantly accept that pressing cannot be noted where CGC are unable to detect it? If so, then we get back to the question of consistency (or, more correctly, lack of it) mentioned. We would have a situation where some books pressed were given a PLOD and others with maybe less pre-pressing defects were given a Blue label.

This would not be good! My current view, therefore, is that unless and until pressing can be detected the vast majority of the time, the current CGC stance is the lesser of the evils and that the seller should disclose pressing.

I am of course fully aware that CGC do not consider pressing a form of

restoration but that is not relevant to my point. Even if they did consider it to be such, their inability to detect pressing would prevent them from noting pressing by a PLOD. They would presumably get complaints about an inability to detect restoration! The inability to detect pressing makes comments about financial self-interest as being the cause of CGC's stance fair and interesting comment but largely academic IMHO.

I dont consider pressing restoration. Cleaning, trimming, color touch, staple replacement yes, I consider these restoration. Would i buy a pressed book, sure. Would i like the seller to disclose the info, yes. If he/she doesnt, i wont know the difference anyway. I can understand why some people dont like pressing, but it just doesnt bother me all that much. Just my 2 pennies.