• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is pressing restoration?

Is pressing restoration (non disassembly)?  

399 members have voted

1. 1. Is pressing restoration (non disassembly)?

45 posts in this topic

In my view (and this is only my view at this time) pressing is restoration. It has become a major bugbear for me because of the incidious way it is undertaken and hidden from the buyer of a book. Is it greed? Well that is not for me to cast judgement on. If all work done on a book is disclosed then the market will determine the price.

so I am very interested in the boards opinion on this subject. As always vote what you really believe as there is total anonimity.

I think that CGC doesn't need to note it on the label, but it should be in the grader's notes, and available to anyone who wants to take the trouble, or cares enough, to find out.

I have heard the argument that pressing is not restoration because it is not adding anything to the book. I disagree with this point since one of the definitions of restoration is bringing back to a former condition. Not too long ago, I believe BMW lost a large lawsuit for taking dents out of newly shipped cars without disclosing this to potential customers. poke2.gif

They only note amateur pressing. Right guys?

No - I believe the way it works is that they only note pressing if they determine the book has been disassembled and pressed. If the book was never disassembled, but has been pressed and damaged, they downgrade for the damage, but it still gets a blue label. If the pressing has not fooked up the book and the book has not been disassembled, they don't note it and I guess they don't downgrade for it either.

I have heard the argument that pressing is not restoration because it is not adding anything to the book. I disagree with this point since one of the definitions of restoration is bringing back to a former condition. Not too long ago, I believe BMW lost a large lawsuit for taking dents out of newly shipped cars without disclosing this to potential customers. poke2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Not too long ago, I believe BMW lost a large lawsuit for taking dents out of newly shipped cars without disclosing this to potential customers.

Which would be the equivalent of color touching a book. makepoint.gif

Poor analogy.

I personnally think my analogy is exactly why PRESSING isn't RESTORATION.

Which is, a corner gets FOLDED BACK. You take your finger and unfold the corner, therefore RESTORING the book to it's original condition (or as close to as possible). Anyone really call this RESTORATION.

The INTENT was to IMPROVE the BOOK.

Not too long ago, I believe BMW lost a large lawsuit for taking dents out of newly shipped cars without disclosing this to potential customers.

Poor analogy.

Which is, a corner gets FOLDED BACK. You take your finger and unfold the corner, therefore RESTORING the book to it's original condition (or as close to as possible). Anyone really call this RESTORATION.

As I have said in the Susan Ciccone thread, that is the only pressing I don;t consider restoration. But that is only one of several methodfs of "pressing". I honestly don;t consider that pressing - I consider it "uncurling" or something like that. But using that technique as the criteria for "restoration isn't pressing" just ain't right. frown.gif

I find it funny that more people think that pressing isn't resto then do, but more people want pressing disclosed then don't. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What does disclosure have to do with restoration?

That is most astute! And is actually at the core of my seeminly weird poll about detection vs restoration.

I find it funny that more people think that pressing isn't resto then do, but more people want pressing disclosed then don't. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What does that have to do with what I said? If someone thinks pressing isn't restoration then why do they want pressing disclosed? To say that I don't consider pressing to be restoration, but I want to know if a book was pressed is silly IMO. If it's not restoration then why would I care?

PLENTY. It does not matter what your interpretation of restoration may be - all work performed should be disclosed. Pressing is work performed so why would you not want to disclose it? If the motivation is self-interest (i.e. maximize profits by not disclosing), then this is an ethical issue where moral principles succumb to the desire to maximize profit. I do understand that there are gray areas in matters of opinion so I will leave my comments at that. poke2.gif

Poor analogy.

Actually, color touching a car would be equivalent to color touching a book. Removing a dent is not adding anything so that would equate to pressing and meets the definition of restoring to the original state.

I personnally think my analogy is exactly why PRESSING is RESTORATION. yay.gif

Absolutely....maybe one has to do with selling and the other has to do with buying? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif