• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you grade this copy of FF#48? Qualified label or blue?

45 posts in this topic

You know the saying where there's smoke, there's fire? Well, I would want to to make absolutely certain that the water stains are not present, however minor, on the interior pages. I honestly have no idea if CGC would give it a blue or green label, but I would grade and price it at around VF or VF- assuming the stains are on the cover ONLY. Also, what's going on with the soiling (rust migration?) near the Marvel Comics logo. My guess is that it is from a rusty staple from the book above it in the stack.

Centerfold seperation will get a Q label. gossip.gif
Not if the book isn't high grade otherwise! confused-smiley-013.gif

Since you've posted several times on this thread, why not offer a grading opinion? That goes for the rest of you as well. This book can't be THAT hard to grade, can it?

Sorry mom...

I grade it a C+ ... your thesis needs some tweaking and I asked for an explication, not a clarification.

Thanks for your input. You get an F for using a non-standard grading scale. screwy.gif

I didn't even post that.

I think my account has been hijacked.

You should have used that excuse earlier, like to explain your peformance in the last grading contest. poke2.gif

7.5 or 8.0 and blue. Why are you thinking green?

Because aside from the very light water staining -- which is limited to the back cover only and would substantially lower the otherwise very high grade book (a textbook example of a book that gets a green label) -- the book is structurally a 9.2 to 9.4.

But thanks for your opinion. It isn't my book -- I posted it for someone I know who isn't a board member, because he asked me to grade the book and I thought it was a toughie.

More opinions welcome, so keep them coming, guys.

FWIW, I'd give it a 9.2 or 9.4 Qualified if I were CGC. If there were no such thing as a qualified label, I would agree with your 7.5 to 8.0, Pete. thumbsup2.gif

This book would not get a Qualified label IMO. The green top is only used for books with one major defect on an other wise high grade book. This book has a bunch of minor defects.

Are those water droplet stains on the front cover?

i.e.

1) on the brown-suited man (spine) to the left of the Watcher's knee)

2) possibly a dot on the Watcher's right knee

3) 2 on Reed's upper right thigh

4) on Johnny's upper right thigh

5) to left of lamppost above Sue's head

6) just above crowd on roof above Sue's head

7) on shoulder of man with the hat (on right edge) just to left of Thing

Are those water droplet stains on the front cover?

i.e.

1) on the brown-suited man (spine) to the left of the Watcher's knee)

2) possibly a dot on the Watcher's right knee

3) 2 on Reed's upper right thigh

4) on Johnny's upper right thigh

5) to left of lamppost above Sue's head

6) just above crowd on roof above Sue's head

7) on shoulder of man with the hat (on right edge) just to left of Thing

Those look like color flecks to me . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Define color flecks, please. Not trying to be snarky, here, as I don't know what the definition is that you are using.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Mr. Snarky, 27_laughing.gif

My definition:

Color fleck: a missing fleck or speck of color of unknown origin, but generally considered to be production reated - where the ink hasn't held; generally very small, as opposed to physical loss of color, e.g. "tape pull".

893blahblah.gif

hi.gif

I agree that there is a certain linearity to both lines of color speckling (fleckling confused-smiley-013.gif), but it some of it looks (from this view) like color bleeding due to moisture contact.

But that still doesn't rule out a production flaw... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Because aside from the very light water staining -- which is limited to the back cover only and would substantially lower the otherwise very high grade book (a textbook example of a book that gets a green label) -- the book is structurally a 9.2 to 9.4.

But thanks for your opinion. It isn't my book -- I posted it for someone I know who isn't a board member, because he asked me to grade the book and I thought it was a toughie.

FWIW, I'd give it a 9.2 or 9.4 Qualified if I were CGC. If there were no such thing as a qualified label, I would agree with your 7.5 to 8.0, Pete. thumbsup2.gif

This book would not get a Qualified label IMO. The green top is only used for books with one major defect on an other wise high grade book. This book has a bunch of minor defects.

Explain this one then.

We usually do not qualify for stains because so many books have them. The FF 48 would most likely be down graded.

Hope all is well with you and Liz.

Best,

Steve

OK, so that answers the green label question. (Thanks Steve, and kudos to the guys here who said that the book wouldn't get a green label.) So what grade do you guys think the book is, in light of the stains? confused.gif

We usually do not qualify for stains because so many books have them. The FF 48 would most likely be down graded.

Best,

Steve

OK, so that answers the green label question. (Thanks Steve, and kudos to the guys here who said that the book wouldn't get a green label.) So what grade do you guys think the book is, in light of the stains? confused.gif

Good question FFB. I think there has to be more to the Identitiy Crisis story than has been revealed by the writer. Although I am eagerly awaiting the final issue. cloud9.gif

Other than Identity Crisis not much is worth reading on a monthly basis. thumbsup2.gif

Explain this one then.

Is YOUR name Heritage?

Best,

Steve

Good question FFB. I think there has to be more to the Identitiy Crisis story than has been revealed by the writer. Although I am eagerly awaiting the final issue. cloud9.gif

Other than Identity Crisis not much is worth reading on a monthly basis. thumbsup2.gif

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I think you're right about IC #7 containing a big surprise. Much as I prefer Marvel to DC, I also have to admit that there isn't really anything on the shelves these days other than Conan (which is the one thing I'm liking more than IC) that I'm enjoying as much as IC. Thanks to all who turned me on to both IC and Conan (actually, I think Rob React gets credit for both, which would make this five or six series that he's turned me on to that I've really enjoyed).

Speaking of which, my copy of IC#1 is a 9.2 to 9.4 or so due to minor abrasions to both spine corners and a slightly blunted upper right corner, and some minor color flecks along the top edge -- the one exception to the 9.2 to 9.4 grade being some very minor water stains on the back cover. What do you think the book would grade at if it accidentally got graded by the non-modern graders at CGC, i.e., the guys who grade silver age books?

Best,

Steve

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I think you're right about IC #7 containing a big surprise. Much as I prefer Marvel to DC, I also have to admit that there isn't really anything on the shelves these days other than Conan (which is the one thing I'm liking more than IC) that I'm enjoying as much as IC. Thanks to all who turned me on to both IC and Conan (actually, I think Rob React gets credit for both, which would make this five or six series that he's turned me on to that I've really enjoyed).

Speaking of which, my copy of IC#1 is a 9.2 to 9.4 or so due to minor abrasions to both spine corners and a slightly blunted upper right corner, and some minor color flecks along the top edge -- the one exception to the 9.2 to 9.4 grade being some very minor water stains on the back cover. What do you think the book would grade at if it accidentally got graded by the non-modern graders at CGC, i.e., the guys who grade silver age books?

another excellent question FFB.

The way I think of it, I definately prefer changing out my poly bags with Mylite2s. Although the increased cost is substantial, the long term value is incredible. When you figure you will never have to change your bags again, that in itself is wonderous. I would only suggest Mylars for books that are in high grade or high value. I wouls also suggest kepping them in a short box for extra protection from sliding around.

It's great that you opened this thread for all sorts of topics. thumbsup2.gif

Best,

Steve

The way I think of it, I definately prefer changing out my poly bags with Mylite2s. Although the increased cost is substantial, the long term value is incredible. When you figure you will never have to change your bags again, that in itself is wonderous. I would only suggest Mylars for books that are in high grade or high value. I wouls also suggest kepping them in a short box for extra protection from sliding around.

It seems like the use of acid free and buffered back boards have more to do with premature aging of comic paper than the polybags do. If I had to choose between using polybags with Full Backs or using mylar with regular unbuffered back boards, I'd go with the polybags w/ Full Backs.

Unbuffered back boards break down and generate acid very quickly in less than ideal storage conditions, whereas (from anecdotal evidence and personal observation) decaying polybags look like hell but usually don't affect the comic at all. I've seen back boards ruin comics by yellowing them or even by causing acid migration damage on the back of a comic book that looked like water damage.

Speaking of which, how much do you think it would drop the grade of a comic book that was in 9.2-9.4 condition except for four spots of acid migration damage on the back cover (caused by these back boards) that looked like water damage? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Best,

Steve

It seems like the use of acid free and buffered back boards have more to do with premature aging of comic paper than the polybags do. If I had to choose between using polybags with Full Backs or using mylar with regular unbuffered back boards, I'd go with the polybags w/ Full Backs.

Unbuffered back boards break down and generate acid very quickly in less than ideal storage conditions, whereas (from anecdotal evidence and personal observation) decaying polybags look like hell but usually don't affect the comic at all. I've seen back boards ruin comics by yellowing them or even by causing acid migration damage on the back of a comic book that looked like water damage.

Speaking of which, how much do you think it would drop the grade of a comic book that was in 9.2-9.4 condition except for four spots of acid migration damage on the back cover (caused by these back boards) that looked like water damage? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, I know what you're saying, however because of the Thanos:The End series stated that the dead won't be revivied I think it's a cop-out to have Colussus not die. So it will just be another in a long line of pseudo-deaths in the Marvel Universe. So then we have to wonder whether Ant-man, Jack of Hearts, and Hawkeye are truly dead.

I certainly hope they decide to resolve this problem soon, Hawkeye was one of my favorite characters, although Ant-man never really appealed to me. You now they have to revive Thor, I mean this is the a major player in the Marvel Universe.

Yeah, I know what you're saying, however because of the Thanos:The End series stated that the dead won't be revivied I think it's a cop-out to have Colussus not die. So it will just be another in a long line of pseudo-deaths in the Marvel Universe. So then we have to wonder whether Ant-man, Jack of Hearts, and Hawkeye are truly dead.

I certainly hope they decide to resolve this problem soon, Hawkeye was one of my favorite characters, although Ant-man never really appealed to me. You now they have to revive Thor, I mean this is the a major player in the Marvel Universe.

I hear you. Between characters coming back to life, multiple variant covers, and stories-getting-lamer-by-the-minute (see: Spider-Man's clone storyline) it is starting to feel like 1993 in the comic market all of a sudden. Count me firmly among those who say that Quesada is going to bite it bigtime when the new issue market continues to shrink.

And as for Thor, you're right. You know they're going to bring him back. They're still trying to sell his movie rights and they can't do that if he isn't an active character -- plus, his sales started picking up during the latest story arc, so it isn't like the character isn't viable. I mean, he's the God of Thunder and has weather control powers. He can make it rain if he wants to. Speaking of which, I have a copy of Thor #85 where he dies. The book is a 9.2-9.4 except for a few Thor-powered raindrops that fell on the back cover and left very minor water stains. What do you think the book will grade out at if sent to CGC under Economy Tier, not Modern Tier? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I hear you. Between characters coming back to life, multiple variant covers, and stories-getting-lamer-by-the-minute (see: Spider-Man's clone storyline) it is starting to feel like 1993 in the comic market all of a sudden. Count me firmly among those who say that Quesada is going to bite it bigtime when the new issue market continues to shrink.

And as for Thor, you're right. You know they're going to bring him back. They're still trying to sell his movie rights and they can't do that if he isn't an active character -- plus, his sales started picking up during the latest story arc, so it isn't like the character isn't viable. I mean, he's the God of Thunder and has weather control powers. He can make it rain if he wants to. Speaking of which, I have a copy of Thor #85 where he dies. The book is a 9.2-9.4 except for a few Thor-powered raindrops that fell on the back cover and left very minor water stains. What do you think the book will grade out at if sent to CGC under Economy Tier, not Modern Tier? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't even get me started on that, I mean how can Kevin Smith be this great comic book guy, when he has yet to make a comic book movie. I mean I loved his movies, very original stuff, but c'mon. You would think that someone who writes comic books, owns a comic books store, and has a self-professed love of comics would be able to make a comic book movie. I don't expect a huge budget blockbuster, but a medium budget film is not out of the question.

Especially since he wrote for Green Arrow, you would think he would want to see a live action GA film. Can you imagine who they would get for Black Canary. Wow.

This has to be one of the best non-grading threads on the boards in a long time. 893applaud-thumb.gif

This has to be one of the best non-grading threads on the boards in a long time. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Agreed - I give it a 12.8 ! (On the thread grading scale, of course)

As for the POS ( poke2.gif) FF 48 currently languishing on the sidelines of this hijacked thread, I'd give it an 8.0 blue label.