• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for your thoughts on something...

57 posts in this topic

First - you say that in your opinion it is one of the best depictions of a superhero you have ever seen, correct? To that I say - fantastic. THAT is all that matters. Everything else is irrelevant. That's why we should be buying things, because WE value and appreciate it.

This.

I've seen your question regarding this in two separate forums now. Either enjoy the art because you like it or stop asking Ron, Chris, Joe, Felix & Hari for their opinions, because it's fairly obvious you don't care for their answers.

I recently purchased a comic art cover. In my opinion, it is one of the best depictions of a superhero I have ever seen. But, when I tell other collectors about the acquisition, the response is fairly consistently in the form of a question - ‘The one where he’s just standing there?’

So, I’m curious. What do you consider to be the best example of a superhero cover with no action? Think of the featured character standing motionless before the viewer. He or she is expressing a supra-humanism – but there is no flying, no fighting and no sitting in remorse amid some wreckage.

I would enjoy the board’s thoughts on the matter – and will certainly aggregate results and share them after leaving the question open for the next two weeks. And, I will, of course, share my cover.

There is a small component of the board that knows about the cover already – you (Ron, Chris, Joe, Felix & Hari) are not allowed to participate!

Hope all is well with everyone. Looking forward to your thoughts.

- Chris

What's going on here? You bought a cover, some people didn't like it, and you now want everyone's opinion without saying what cover it is?

tumblr_inline_mt9ob3CeUD1rw1evb.jpg

All fantastic covers - but this one is closest to the type of cover I'm referring to. The others incorporate explosions, lightning bolts and heroic poses on mountain tops. All great, but I'm looking for JUST the hero & nothing else that would let you know that about him/her...other than their costume & pose.

This.

I've seen your question regarding this in two separate forums now. Either enjoy the art because you like it or stop asking Ron, Chris, Joe, Felix & Hari for their opinions, because it's fairly obvious you don't care for their answers.

Okay...I've clearly done a bad job communicating here. It's generally not my forte and a likely contributor to why I don't post very often. So, two points -

First, I meant for this to be a fun thought exercise and nothing more. In my experience, 'Is that the one where...' is one of the most common ways to start a sentence between comic art collectors. So, my point was NOT that other collectors were expressing an opinion on it - rather, that was the first thing they recollected as they were trying to place the cover in their memory. I was just looking for other examples of such 'first memories' with which people frame their recollection of a piece of comic art.

Second, and along those lines, Ron, Chris, Joe, Felix & Hari have had nothing but lovely things to say about the cover (heck, one is responsible for me finding it and I talked to the the rest of them at different points along the way). And, even if they did not, it would not change my personal views or enjoyment of the cover. Either way, I'm now feeling very sheepish that I somehow made them look bad in any way.

Apologies to all for any confusion - and deepest apologies to Ron, Chris, Joe, Felix & Hari if it seemed like I was somehow calling you out in any way. Not my intent at all.

- Chris

What's going on here? You bought a cover, some people didn't like it, and you now want everyone's opinion without saying what cover it is?

See the response that should just precede this one about my intent in starting the thread. At this point, given what a bad job I've done in communicating the intent of it - and seemingly saying something offensive about some friends - I would normally just post a picture of the cover and conclude it...but, I don't have one yet. It's being unframed so one can be taken and then I intended to share it. Hence, the two weeks.

Probably best to retract the question at this point...

- Chris

See the response that should just precede this one about my intent in starting the thread. At this point, given what a bad job I've done in communicating the intent of it - and seemingly saying something offensive about some friends - I would normally just post a picture of the cover and conclude it...but, I don't have one yet. It's being unframed so one can be taken and then I intended to share it. Hence, the two weeks.

Probably best to retract the question at this point...

- Chris

Would you care to at least share some details ?

Artist, issue, etc ?

I'm sure many wouldn't mind googling a bit.

As for "actionless" covers (I'd call them "covers without punching"),

I think most of the covers in my collection (and my favorites among them)

really fit your description of the heroes "just standing there"....(or sitting).

A few examples from my own CAF:

http://qurls.com?i=54348

http://qurls.com?i=50980

http://qurls.com?i=54295

http://qurls.com?i=49057

http://qurls.com?i=54025

'nuff said ?

Best,

Gal

Here is an example of a cover where there isn't any action, just the heroes. Personally I love it and it would definitely be hanging on my wall if I owned it.

justiceLeague.jpg

Here is one that is in my collection and I love the look and feel of it. No action, just Spiderman walking away in the rain holding his mask in his hand. Personally, I don't think it gets much better than this one.

jeff_jones_splash.jpg

Wow that spider-man piece is awesome. Definitely proves that action isn't everything on a good page IMO

This.

Okay...I've clearly done a bad job communicating here. It's generally not my forte and a likely contributor to why I don't post very often. So, two points -

First, I meant for this to be a fun thought exercise and nothing more. In my experience, 'Is that the one where...' is one of the most common ways to start a sentence between comic art collectors. So, my point was NOT that other collectors were expressing an opinion on it - rather, that was the first thing they recollected as they were trying to place the cover in their memory. I was just looking for other examples of such 'first memories' with which people frame their recollection of a piece of comic art.

Second, and along those lines, Ron, Chris, Joe, Felix & Hari have had nothing but lovely things to say about the cover (heck, one is responsible for me finding it and I talked to the the rest of them at different points along the way). And, even if they did not, it would not change my personal views or enjoyment of the cover. Either way, I'm now feeling very sheepish that I somehow made them look bad in any way.

Apologies to all for any confusion - and deepest apologies to Ron, Chris, Joe, Felix & Hari if it seemed like I was somehow calling you out in any way. Not my intent at all.

- Chris

No worries, but I'd have to agree that your cryptic first post has given everyone the impression you were unhappy with those individuals you named and thus, weren't willing to disclose the piece. Even if you don't have the piece itself available to post, you can name it and easily find a picture on the internet to share.

No worries, but I'd have to agree that your cryptic first post has given everyone the impression you were unhappy with those individuals you named and thus, weren't willing to disclose the piece. Even if you don't have the piece itself available to post, you can name it and easily find a picture on the internet to share.

The point was to be cryptic and not to share the image so as not to influence anyone's recollections. I viewed that as an important component of the thought exercise. I'm obviously in the minority! :)

The point was to be cryptic and not to share the image so as not to influence anyone's recollections. I viewed that as an important component of the thought exercise. I'm obviously in the minority! :)

I think every piece is judged upon it's own merits.

I don't think lack of "action" had ever effected my judgement.

If you want your piece to be critiqued, please post some details,

otherwise it really is (IMO) too general sort of discussion.

Can you check your private messages, it's a flashing envelopoe right beside the my stuff tab at the top of the page. thanks

Hi Gal - I'm not looking for the piece to be critiqued. I was just looking to generate comparable thoughts based on the (bad) description I provided - and see what comic covers that the description and such thoughts brought to mind for others.

I'm going to put this in the category of bad execution on my part of something I thought would be interesting.

For those who provided some thoughts - sincere thanks.

But, with that, I'm calling it a wrap!

It's the cover to Miracleman #23. It will eventually be in my CAF gallery once I get a proper image of it.

All the best - and good luck if you have a horse in the NCAA race this weekend.

- Chris

- and deepest apologies to Ron, Chris, Joe, Felix & Hari if it seemed like I was somehow calling you out in any way. Not my intent at all.

- Chris

7oi2j.jpg

It's not a wrap until we've all played.

For me, it's the Quesada cover to X-Factor # 87 (wish I owned it. Or knew how to post the image here). The gang goes to see Doc Samson. Loved the issue, loved the cover.

Although, on reflection, it does appear as if everyone is about to attack...

Hi Gal - I'm not looking for the piece to be critiqued. I was just looking to generate comparable thoughts based on the (bad) description I provided - and see what comic covers that the description and such thoughts brought to mind for others.

I'm going to put this in the category of bad execution on my part of something I thought would be interesting.

For those who provided some thoughts - sincere thanks.

But, with that, I'm calling it a wrap!

It's the cover to Miracleman #23. It will eventually be in my CAF gallery once I get a proper image of it.

All the best - and good luck if you have a horse in the NCAA race this weekend.

- Chris

Oh, THAT cover :facepalm:

:jokealert:

- and deepest apologies to Ron, Chris, Joe, Felix & Hari if it seemed like I was somehow calling you out in any way. Not my intent at all.

- Chris

7oi2j.jpg

I laughed out loud in an empty house when I saw this one...and I'm going to wear a mouthguard to our next lunch...which I'm paying for.

Back to my spider hole...