• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

G+ 2.5 for this FF 1? Talk about FUGLY!

19 posts in this topic

That book is hideous, and soiled almost beyond recognition. Strange how there are two long diagonal creases through the centre of the cover that form an "X" - never seen that before.

It's a fair. Couldn't grade it above that even if structurally it might be solid.

And no, I wouldn't buy it - it is, as you say, just too fugly.

Depends on the other defects. I wouldn't buy it if it also has spine splits, detached cover or wraps, tears, rusted staples, etc. Other stuff you tend to see in Good. If the mildew is the only major defect, I'd look at it this way - for maybe $500 to have it cleaned you could have a decent 4.0. If an apparent 4.0 FF #1 cr/ow, where the only resto was a cleaning, was listed for $1500 would you bid on it?

If an apparent 4.0 FF #1 cr/ow, where the only resto was a cleaning, was listed for $1500 would you bid on it?

The thing is the mildew isn't the only defect (and I doubt a cleaning would really get rid of all of it because it also appears to suffer from moisture damage).

Those criss-crossing creases on the front cover would ruin this book for me even without the mildew and soiling. God, it's hideous.

I don't normally recommend restoration for books, but this is a prime candidate. That thing needs some serious cleaning! There's no reason to have a book that looks like that in a collection.

i think i tend to agree with you here - the book is just too ugly to look at in it's present state. and i think good+ is generous all things considered....... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Agreed, Jbud... oh, the horror, the horror...

The restoration would have to include quite a bit of color touch to 'fix' that hideous 'X' , as well as cleaning and pressing.

That book's around a Fair- by my reckoning... just fugly, bugly and ughly boo.gif

The restoration would have to include quite a bit of color touch to 'fix' that hideous 'X' , as well as cleaning and pressing.

That book's around a Fair- by my reckoning... just fugly, bugly and ughly boo.gif

Nah, you could fix that X-shaped mega-crease easily. Just trim it off!

4_1_72.gif I slay me.

Nah, you could fix that X-shaped mega-crease easily. Just trim it off!

4_1_72.gif I slay me.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif