• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Mystery 20, little help please

23 posts in this topic

I'll throw out a guess of 3.5. Would usually go a bit lower for a defect that affects interior pages, but the rest of it just looks so nice. Great book! (thumbs u

I'm at a dead 3.5 on this one. If the back cover paper around the hole was still intact and pushed out I'd day it was a B.B. hole.

I've had books in collections that were used for targe practice by some young hooligans. :cry:

I actually think the pinhole is a fairly minor defect on an already lower end of midgrade book. It bothers me less than tape on the cover, and considering it misses the interior art work, no worse than a small corner chip on the entire book of maybe an 1/8" or so. Easily a 4.0, and maybe a 4.5 in hand.

If the back cover paper around the hole was still intact and pushed out I'd day it was a B.B. hole.

There are 1940s photos showing newsstand comics hanging on a string through top left corner holes... I'd venture a guess that this is one of those holes.

I actually think the pinhole is a fairly minor defect on an already lower end of midgrade book. It bothers me less than tape on the cover, and considering it misses the interior art work, no worse than a small corner chip on the entire book of maybe an 1/8" or so. Easily a 4.0, and maybe a 4.5 in hand.

I see your point... in terms of the 'real estate' missing, those two defects are about the same. But (this being subjective and all...) I find a pinhole through the book a bit more distracting than a corner chip, so I'd probably err on the side of docking the grade a bit more.

I never knew they hung comics on a string. Anyone have an old pic of something like that, please post it.

I swear I've seen a pic like that, but did some searches and nothing turned up. Maybe I'm misremembering? ???

Here's a 1941 pic of comics hanging on a clothesline with wooden clothespins. This was probably more common.

http://heykidscomix.blogspot.com/2010/04/comics-on-clothesline-1941.html

I never knew they hung comics on a string. Anyone have an old pic of something like that, please post it.

I swear I've seen a pic like that, but did some searches and nothing turned up. Maybe I'm misremembering? ???

Here's a 1941 pic of comics hanging on a clothesline with wooden clothespins. This was probably more common.

Jon, I have the same recollection. I can tell that the hole is very old and looks like it was made when the book was new. I'm guessing it has something to do with displaying the book for sale. I can imagine a newsstand with nails or pins that they dangle the book from. Wonder if there are many more examples of this flaw?

Jon, I have the same recollection. I can tell that the hole is very old and looks like it was made when the book was new. I'm guessing it has something to do with displaying the book for sale. I can imagine a newsstand with nails or pins that they dangle the book from. Wonder if there are many more examples of this flaw?

Are there any markings or notations on the interior? Check marks, numbers, anything? Could be from an art studio similar to the Cosmic Aeroplane collection?

I'm at 4.0 IMHO!smiley-gen130.gif

If the hole is not perfectly even on both sides it could be a "worm hole" I have had (and probably still have ) books like that, but the holes are not in the same place.

I agree 4.5.

If the hole is not perfectly even on both sides it could be a "worm hole" I have had (and probably still have ) books like that, but the holes are not in the same place.

No, the hole looks to straight through from the front to back cover.