• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Fifty - up to 35 pieces now with 31 on the walls framed

38 posts in this topic

I have been writing about, perhaps even documenting!, my quest for 50 pieces of art to comprise the entirety of my comic art collection. (I owned around 700 items at the start of this journey maybe 2 years ago and am down to about 500, maybe even less.) I have deemed this mythical collection of the future "The Fifty".

I have not updated The Fifty in quite a while. I realized this today when I was writing about a nice piece I got from Comic Link a month or so ago. (So far this year I have 4 pieces, one from the artist directly, one from ebay, one Heritage and one Clink - I am spreading it around nicely I think! But I digress.) This piece is definitely in The Fifty and although I have only written 6 posts so far this year on my blog I wrote a second one today to place the piece in The Fifty. Take a look if you'd like to see a sweet Tony Harris early Starman piece, or even see the list of The Fifty, which is up to 16 items now!

fedres420.blogspot.com is where it is at. I just got the fourth piece of 2014 in the mail about 10 minutes ago,direct from Tony Harris! I am off to open it now!

I added the 19th piece to The Fifty today, a Dave Sim cover.

fedres420.blogspot.com

I also re-arranged the rankings a bit when I added the piece, if you have any interest in that sort of thing (JHW3 made a move up bigtime).

Okay, posted about another framed piece in The Fifty at my blog fedres420.blogspot.com I now have 13 pieces framed on the wall (& another two on order) and 25 pieces posted in The Fifty. I will be there before I know it!

Wasn't the point of this exercise to let go of a lot of things that didn't make the cut and then only add things that did. Are you sure the additions are truly FIFTY-worthy? It's very easy to backslide into buying the lower-priced flavor of the month and then not having the funds when the occasional serious thing is available. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, or even second-guess you, but maybe it would help to re-visit this now before hitting thirty?

No, I love these pieces. Some may have lesser value but they are special to me. The Fifty has always been intended as a fluid concept, otherwise it seems you have my idea essentially correct. I am down many many items (2 in the comic link summer auction and maybe a dozen more in the next one after that) and that will be more what my thinking will be focused on rather than which pieces are worthy. The Fifty won't be absolute until I have only 50 pieces, and even then I would hope to upgrade on some things or just move on with others, adding pieces in their place. Anything cheap being added to The Fifty has likely been in my collection for quite a while,and new purchases are intended as being worthy. It may not work out that way (3 small purchases this year to go with 2 pieces likely for The Fifty), but that is far far closer to my ideal than years prior.

Re-title it The Sixty?

I could, but the walls are filling now and I only have 15 framed. plus, the Fifty is a bit about discipline. Arbitrary discipline.

Starman pages are posing a real problem here. I almost sent two for framing but in the end did not do so. With covers and specialty pieces I am at 4-6 likely Harris Starman pieces in The Fifty as it is but I refuse to think any further on that. Tomorrow is another day. Yes, I'll think about it tomorrow.

Another BWS piece framed and on the wall. That makes 27 on the list now and one or two more framed but not yet announced! But the walls look beautiful. I busted onto a new wall with 2 Starman covers and they look sweet.

Another BWS piece framed and on the wall. That makes 27 on the list now and one or two more framed but not yet announced! But the walls look beautiful. I busted onto a new wall with 2 Starman covers and they look sweet.

What a cool way of approaching your collection. Can't wait to see the official 50 when you are done.

What a cool way of approaching your collection. Can't wait to see the official 50 when you are done.

Thanks for the enthusiasm, I appreciate it. I am not sure if I will ever be done; once I get down to The Fifty I may end up moving new pieces in and selling off some things. But I am certainly looking at things with a different eye now and make far fewer purchases. I still buy an occasional piece that I know will never be in The Fifty, but it happens rarely now as opposed to semi-weekly a few years ago.

I now have 22 items framed and on the walls. It is really looking groovy now. I will post about it on my blog this weekend and show off the new ones - Bisley, Kirby, Sienkiewicz, JHW3, and Mignola.