• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Fifty - up to 35 pieces now with 31 on the walls framed

38 posts in this topic

Man, this is getting fun. I now have 22 pieces framed and on the walls. Not all of them announced as in The Fifty yet, so maybe this weekend I will add to my list.

I asked about branching out to the rest of the house and was met with hesitation. So I looked around and figured I could actually get 17 more on the walls in the room I am using now. It has been fun moving things around as I get more pieces framed and want to place some things next to each other. For instance, my Kirby page is on the wall with the JHW3 Hardware pinup - that seems fitting to me. I will get some pictures and post them tonight.

B17-zpyIgAERtLm.jpg

Commission by THE BIZ and Alan Moore as rorschach by Walt Simonson

B17-zRvIYAA0955.jpg

BWS Storyteller and Weapon X pages above and poorly lit Paul Smith commission below

B17-qBzCcAEOoaq.jpg

Short hallway - Dan Green Into Shamballa painted page, Darwyn Cooke WW, Sienkiewicz Superman 400 pinup recreation. On the far side of the hallway is...

B17-jL2CMAANJ_4.jpg

JHW3 HARDWARE pinup and Kirby / Berry Captain America page

B17-p9cCQAAPybL.jpg

another angle with BWS DD page and Rick Geary Zappa in the background

Okay, I have been posting about a great trading weekend on my blog and today wrote up two pieces, one of which is in The Fifty.

http://fedres420.blogspot.com/

Thanks for looking!

I also have another member of The Fifty coming in the mail soon and one borderline member.

In order to make these things happen, sadly one of The Fifty was purchased by a boardie. bye bye Jae Lee Dr. Strange, The Fifty was proud to have you! Perhaps we will see you again some day.

Up to 33 pieces in The Fifty and down to about 200-250 pieces in my collection NOT in The Fifty.

I have about 5 or 6 frames on order as well. The walls are filling up nicely and my wife is eager to have one on the walls of the LIVING ROOM even. This one -

ZIQRgC2O_0312141550411.jpg

Okay, 25 framed in the house, 2 more ready at Michael's, and 3 more on order after that. Here is the new version of The Frames of the Faltine! (My Dr.Strange wall.)

B5Gv3mUCEAA8X0y.jpg

ahhh,crappy image... Mitchell Bretweiser Doc on top and Cleas by Anna Merli and Alphonso Azpiri on the bottom

B5GxTPFCUAIzeLB.jpg

B5GxTKwCAAAI9rU.jpg

B5GxTLtCEAElCC_.jpg

On the left are 2 pages from Dr Strange 170 with art by Dan Adkins and on the right are 2 colan pages, the splash to ToD 44 and a pages from that issue as well. Tony Harris magazine cover in the middle.

Okay, back from the framers again! I picked up two more, and I was all ready with the screws in the wall to hang one already. But you can't see it yet, as I am getting another piece finished next week and will then have my Starman wall complete - 6 Tony Harris pieces all framed and on one wall.

I also got my Walt Simonson Dr.Strange commission framed. I had offered it for sale 2 months ago and when Lou asked about buying it I realized how much I would miss it. So it is on the wall.

So I have one piece framed that I don't officially count - A Tim Truman original for a Ratdog / Planet Drum / Hot Tuna concert on 12/31/1999. That one is in the living room. And I forgot to count the Vess in the hallway last time. So now besides those two, in the rec/computer room I now have 27 framed and 3 more (the Winsor McCay, a Starman piece, and a BWS Storyteller page) on order due in the next few days.

I think I will try to do a nice long blog post this weekend, maybe when I have some insomnia which is a pretty surefire thing these days, and show off the current state of the room. I have a new wall to break onto this week!

Comics good. Money good.

I have a bunch of art to trade in my CAF as well. Check it out before I consign it away or trade it up at comic art con in late March!

HA!

:banana:

I got a new one for the wall, a new member of The Fifty.

But I need to let it arrive and be in hand before an official unveiling.

I'M BACK BABY! I'M BACK!

I just wanted to take a break from doing a little dance in my room here to tell you all... ^^

I feel like I done got me some Tiger Juice in me! Okay, back to dancin'! (I lie...I have been dancing in my chair this whole time.)

I get occasional questions about The Fifty. The Fifty is still going strong even though I have not updated or added anything lately. So I added something this morning to The Fifty. Moebius. It is one of the trading card illustrations HA has been auctioning but I was very very glad to get it. I did a happy dance around my house most of that night in fact. I still have the happy dance feeling too.

I just kinda crammed it in there rankings wise though. I like The Fifty to be in an official order, so that eventually if I get a new piece it may be piece #50 most likely on the chopping block. But we are not there yet so no worries. But the pursuit of The Fifty has moved my collection from out of control and over 800/900 pieces to under 300 now. I'll get there soon enough. Just the other day at a show someone surprised me by knowing about The Fifty and then saying "I like your idea and considered it but I could never do that"...you are wrong! You can do it and you should do it. If you are a low level/mid level hoarder look at your collection and imagine selling 30 pieces for 80% of FMV and what you could get if you spent that money on only one or two pieces. Do it - if you have 1000 pieces do it three times will smaller stuff and essentially trade 100 pieces for 5 awesome pieces of art and you will never miss the 100! You may really miss one or five of them but not many more...and you will have a FM, Gil Kane, Carmine Infantino, or such piece to look at and marvel over.

I moved two other pieces that are framed already into The Fifty just now as well - the Rick Geary Frank Zappa portrait and a BWS Storyteller page. That makes 38 pieces.

If I get around to it I will scan my Toppi piece and add that as well. I have two or three Mignola illustrations that are kind of in, in my head, too. I may or may not add one or both soon.

If you want to buy a Starman page let me know! They gotta go sooner or later! Tony has 7 spots, fully 14%, of the whole shebang!

That was me. It's not so much that I can't to "The 50" more than I don't want to. I am nowhere near 1000 pieces but I still don't have any desire to vastly consolidate the collection. Best wishes in your journey to 50 - I wish you well!

Maybe 50 on the wall but for me that doesn't mean the portfolio has to go.

Just fifty, it's an interesting though experiment if nothing else. I'm not sure I want to do it either, particularly as I collect in many diverse segments, and just fifty total would mean...I don't know but probably many of those individuals wouldn't group well. Fifty per segment, wow that would still be a lot of art in total and I'd have a hard time culling to that even.

But if I could, and rolled 100% of the proceeds back in to only fifty best of the best...that would be something else. Not sure I trust myself enough to make that decision ("just one of this, and one of that...") and not change my mind the next day (or week, or year)! That's probably the rub for a lot of us, what with these things all being relatively illiquid...you either collect often and deep to satisfy different moods on different days or not and (in my mind) be somewhat penned in?

I know that it is not for everyone. But I will be 50 at the end of the year and my wife and I intend to move to Hawaii in 12 years or so. I was not enjoying the art in the closet and I looooove looking at it on my walls. 50 pieces was very arbitrary and The Fifty is as much as experiment in "if you built it they will come" thinking as anything. I believe in making your own destiny so I set this goal and am moving towards it at full speed. It has been a lot of fun but that does not mean I may not revise my goals along the way. And I always intend to buy new pieces but eventually it will be a one-for-one exchange at minimum. I buy much less after making this decision and have bought a few pieces that will never be in The Fifty (BWS the Thing for instance) but that is okay too.