• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That feeling you get...

59 posts in this topic

When I see the word "inquire," I don't.

That's practically every item they have,

When you do email for a price it is very high

I find the word 'inquire' to be very off-putting . . . probably appeals more to masochistic types.

When I see the word "inquire," I don't.

That's practically every item they have,

When you do email for a price it is very high

I find the word 'inquire' to be very off-putting . . . probably appeals more to masochistic types.

GYweErB.png

In my view, the Donnellys have a very poor business model focused on maximizing profit margins vs. maximizing overall profits. :screwy: Big difference.

That said, as owners of the art, they're entitled to manage their business however they please.

I've seen business philosophies like the Donnelly's fail due to over estimation (greed) where they sell 2 pieces and buy 5 pieces or sell $20,000 in merchandise yet invest $50,000 in inventory so all of their cash is tied to inventory assets. I speculate they spend more than they make in the comic art business, so are continually investing personal funds into the business.

When it comes time for a liquidation out of necessity, situation or desire, instead of being happy with a 15-25% return on investment and moving product in and out to grow the business, they're sitting on more quantity than they can sell, and have psychologically ingrained imaginary value to their possessions which are unreasonable as horders.

With so much tied to inventory, they would be wise to have insurance against theft or disaster. I think as they, as individuals grow old, wisdom will sink in and "the one with the most" does not win, and realize you can't take it with you. You'll probably see a lot of their key pieces go through auction houses either through their efforts or those of their heirs who inherit it all.

I've seen business philosophies like the Donnelly's fail due to over estimation (greed) where they sell 2 pieces and buy 5 pieces or sell $20,000 in merchandise yet invest $50,000 in inventory so all of their cash is tied to inventory assets. I speculate they spend more than they make in the comic art business, so are continually investing personal funds into the business.

When it comes time for a liquidation out of necessity, situation or desire, instead of being happy with a 15-25% return on investment and moving product in and out to grow the business, they're sitting on more quantity than they can sell, and have psychologically ingrained imaginary value to their possessions which are unreasonable as horders.

With so much tied to inventory, they would be wise to have insurance against theft or disaster. I think as they, as individuals grow old, wisdom will sink in and "the one with the most" does not win, and realize you can't take it with you. You'll probably see a lot of their key pieces go through auction houses either through their efforts or those of their heirs who inherit it all.

I don't know them but I'd suggest they can't be dumb. Some people like the fast nickel and some people like the slow dime. Nothing wrong with either approach.

I don't know them but I'd suggest they can't be dumb. Some people like the fast nickel and some people like the slow dime. Nothing wrong with either approach.

Unless they get offered the slow dime and instead of selling it change the price to the plodding quarter.

heheh, that's a side issue :insane:

To those questioning the strategy; I'm not so sure that its a bad strategy.

If you get a 200% markup and your competitor gets a 20% markup you don't need to sell much to stay even.

If you've got store overhead and such you need turnover. But an art dealer with no physical storefront has very little in the way of overhead. If you can sell the odd piece and use the proceeds to buy three pieces you are growing your inventory which itself is appreciating.

Some say the tactics are off putting and thats probably true but Im not so sure it's dumb. I've seen sellers with poor service who have their wits about them get great prices, because if they are hard to deal with and the buyer is STILL interested that basically tells the seller that the buyer will pay aggressively. It's seemingly backwards but when you deal in one of a kinds and you like getting the plodding quarter or the glacial 50c, simply getting back to people slowly and or playing games weeds out everybody except the very few who might actually pay your prices.

I think they are really more collectors than dealers, my 2c

Could be true.

That doesn't bother me much.

Buying a piece of artwork, after having asked if there were any non-logo stats and being told "No" and "the art is perfect", getting the artwork and finding a full one half of the page was a stat...is far more bothersome. lol

I don't think it's the price as much as the price as a moving target.

Pieces that sit on ebay for YEARS with a crazy high price, then when an offer is given that's close to asking price the auction is ended and relisted as a much more inflated price.

Personally, having dealt with both dealers you mention, I can tell you that experiences dealing with each are NOTHING alike.

Also, most complaints have nothing to do with price.

I agree.

I suppose I was commenting on the OP.

I don't think it's the price as much as the price as a moving target.

Pieces that sit on ebay for YEARS with a crazy high price, then when an offer is given that's close to asking price the auction is ended and relisted as a much more inflated price.

Personally, having dealt with both dealers you mention, I can tell you that experiences dealing with each are NOTHING alike.

Also, most complaints have nothing to do with price.

I agree.

I suppose I was commenting on the OP.

Ah, ok.

If that were true, then why do they constantly post and repost the same pieces to CAF? I don't think it's because they're super proud of their collection. (shrug)

They are relentlessly pursuing the naive (aka rookie with money to burn). And what they "do" to art to "enhance" salability...criminal. Things few real collectors would ever do. Example: getting Frank Miller to sign the Captain America Annual 5 cover even though it's widely known to be Ed Hannigan's work. They know this, and don't care, continuing to "offer" it as Miller. And the art...ruined imo...better to be unsigned. Though this could be fixed by another Miller signing along the lines of 'whoops...not mine after all!" That would be an actual enhancement (but not monetarily).

If that were true, then why do they constantly post and repost the same pieces to CAF? I don't think it's because they're super proud of their collection. (shrug)

They are relentlessly pursuing the naive (aka rookie with money to burn). And what they "do" to art to "enhance" salability...criminal. Things few real collectors would ever do. Example: getting Frank Miller to sign the Captain America Annual 5 cover even though it's widely known to be Ed Hannigan's work. They know this, and don't care, continuing to "offer" it as Miller. And the art...ruined imo...better to be unsigned. Though this could be fixed by another Miller signing along the lines of 'whoops...not mine after all!" That would be an actual enhancement (but not monetarily).

I agree. I actually pursued a piece of art they had and the price was ridiculously high for what the piece should be going for and I bailed. It was 2 to 3 times the cost of what other dealers charge for artwork. They must be on the hunt for people who have money to burn like you said and just have to have those pieces.

I've also seen them affix the names of high-profile artists to artworks they had no part in creating.

In reading the countless threads about these collectors and sellers I wondered and have to think they know about it...

Are they aware they're held to such generally high disdain if not hatred if not at minimum negative criticism within the hobby?

I'm sure they've been shown the message boards and just simple reactionary email communication has let them know that their methodology isn't too well received.

To their credit, I think, they seem like they're taking the more oblivious and high road approach of just going about their business on their terms and not caring at all, neither getting emotional and defensive nor taking what seems like at times sound advice to change or even modify slightly their approach.

Has anyone actually had a conversation with them or are their friends to know how they feel about the general perception and messaging about them within the hobby?