• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Man with a 1 bdrm condo becomes a Comic Dealer

56 posts in this topic

Thought I would share this because I find it amusing.

I have been selling at local comic shows for a few years now. I was originally selling my "completionist" collection that I acquired when I got back into comic collecting from 2003 - 2007. At the time I collected low grade books because I just wanted them all. They sold, and I was noticing I had little left for more shows, and I either would go quietly into the night or I would need to start buying.

I decided to start buying local collections, last year a 38 long box collection that yield several keys from 1984-2000 and quite a few golden age file copy Dells.

On Friday Mar 14th we bought another local collection some 28 longboxes.

Trying to get ready for a local comic show coming up on March 30th and this is what my Living room looks like:

001_zpsbef0377a.jpg

Grading/bagging/ boarding/ labelling/ alphabetizing.

003_zpse4ed6f20.jpg

Fun stuff. I have no room for anything. :P

Yep the boxes are hiding the hands someone could easy just slip one off table into bag....

Sorry I didn't mean to be a hater. It does look really cool...I like the categorizing and what/not.

Cool story and reminds me a lot of me...I love the bartering that goes into comic buying and selling. I love the stories as well, but something about the trades and sales and stuff that gives me a rush.

Sorry I didn't mean to be a hater. It does look really cool...I like the categorizing and what/not.

Cool story and reminds me a lot of me...I love the bartering that goes into comic buying and selling. I love the stories as well, but something about the trades and sales and stuff that gives me a rush.

Couldn't agree more. I absolutely love negotiating!

Couldn't agree more. I absolutely love negotiating!

Unabashed capitalists, my kind of people!

The commerce side of collecting is often spoken of in dirty terms on this board but I think it is a rich and engaging part of the hobby. In fact a side the hobby could not live without!

My 2c

Your racks look very easy to set up and take down where did you get them at?

Home Depot, Revy here in Canada.

A place that specializes in do it yourself home renovations should have all you need.

walldisplaywithbanner2_zps235603d9.jpg

The shelves are wire racks typically used in shoe stores

The main rails are slotted I-beams with a metal bracket at the base to act as stands.

walldisplaywithbanner3_zpsa574e5eb.jpg

And you need a bracket that looks like this:

002_zpsd11ac41d.jpg

The bracket connects to the I-beam, the shelves slot into the top circle holding area. We use plastic ties to hold it all in place.

walldisplaywithbanner4_zps4dfc0113.jpg

It takes a little figuring out to get the wall display to work as far as setting up the right angle so your Hulk #1 doesn't fall off the wall. :baiting:

Once it works they are easy to use.

That is very cool and informative!

Btw, your 1bdrm condo has a garage?! :)

Nope, the first set up of the wall rack when I got the banner was at board member thehumantorch's house. He is one of my partners in this comic dealer adventure.

I have been selling at local comic shows for a few years now. I was originally selling my "completionist" collection that I acquired when I got back into comic collecting from 2003 - 2007. At the time I collected low grade books because I just wanted them all. They sold, and I was noticing I had little left for more shows, and I either would go quietly into the night or I would need to start buying.

I decided to start buying local collections, last year a 38 long box collection that yield several keys from 1984-2000 and quite a few golden age file copy Dells.

Trying to get ready for a local comic show coming up on March 30th and this is what my Living room looks like:

001_zpsbef0377a.jpg

003_zpse4ed6f20.jpg

these pics are screaming "chick magnet"

001_zpsbef0377a.jpg

003_zpse4ed6f20.jpg

these pics are screaming "chick magnet"

lol:signfunny:

Somewhere there is a picture of an old man sitting in a room with stacks and stacks of comics surrounding him. In 10 more years I will be that guy.