• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need help grading my 1968 Iron Man #1

19 posts in this topic

My Wife purchased this comic and I'm having trouble grading it. It's a really nice looking copy that I'd normally grade at Fine- 5.5 to Fine 6.0 but with the major flaw on it I don't know how bad it will hurt the grade.

These aren't the greatest pictures but you can see the flaws in them.

The only flaws on the book are:

Front Cover

It has a 3" color breaking crease on the lower right corner of the front cover, it has some corner wear on the 2 non spine corners, it doesn't have any spine ticks or creases, and it has all of it's original cover gloss.

Back Cover

It doesn't have any creases or stains on it and it has all of it's original cover gloss. The back cover looks great.

The only hidden flaw on the book is that it has a small corner piece that got torn off of Page #3.

Overall it's really nice looking copy in hand and it has nice eye appeal.

My Main Questions are:

#1. How bad will the missing piece on Page 3 hurt the grade?

#2. Will it get a Blue Label or Green Label?

She wants to send it to CGC with my next submission. But I don't want to spend the money to get it graded if it's going to drop the grade down to something like a 2.5/3.0 because I don't want her to get disappointed if it grades that low because she was extremely happy when she purchased it.

Front Cover

IronMan1C_zpsb663df79.jpg

Back Cover

IronMan1BackB_zps1e9eef27.jpg

Page 3.

IronMan1Page3_zps1a158810.jpg

The Missing Piece from Page 3 looks a lot larger in the picture because the picture doesn't show the whole Page.

I would not submit it at all. Even for a 5.5 grade, is that worth it?

I once owned a Spidey #16 that looked 9.0. It had a 5" on the back cover

and was encased by CGC at 6.0.

This book reminds me of it. I would say it is easily a 5.5 with a shot at 6.0 IMHO...

Thank you both for you opinions I really appreciate it.

ROBTOTHEC- I personally don't want to get it graded, to me at a 5.5 or 6.0 I rather have bagged and boarded that way I can read it when ever I want to, but She's the one that wants to get it graded because She bought it and it's the 1st Silver Age Book She's purchased.

Really at that grade its not huge game changer in my opinion.

Now if your book was a 9.4 and had that tear it might be a different story.

I would consider it a .5 downgrade for it. I too hate these type of dilemmas.

Looks like the book has edge wear, some chipping on front cover and a pretty significant fold mark. Id be more inclined to be 5.0 to 5.5 for this book.

It's a nice looking copy. I don't think the torn corner on the interior page will have any effect on the grade as it has no effect on the story. Generally the overall book structure is good.

5.5 IMHO!smiley-gen130.gif

Thank you everyone for your opinions on the grade I really appreciate it. I think I'll send it in with my Amazing Spider-Man #129 when I get it pressed and graded.

That's also really good to know that with mid and lower grade books that this type of defect doesn't totally kill the grade.

She wouldn't tell me exactly how much She paid for it, all She would tell me is She paid less than $200 but more than $100. So over all I guess She did pretty good on it.

Thank you everyone for your opinions on the grade I really appreciate it. I think I'll send it in with my Amazing Spider-Man #129 when I get it pressed and graded.

That's also really good to know that with mid and lower grade books that this type of defect doesn't totally kill the grade.

She wouldn't tell me exactly how much She paid for it, all She would tell me is She paid less than $200 but more than $100. So over all I guess She did pretty good on it.

I meant to write this before, but I have a very strong feeling that what she was telling you was that she wanted to share in your hobby / passion.

That means... YOU BETTER DO IT!!!

Good luck and WTTB! :)

Always take your books out of the bag or mylar when scanning. The mylar always make books present much better.

Looks like there are a few thumb creases on that outer edge and some scuffing of the color along the spine. I'd say its in the 5.5 range also.

I meant to write this before, but I have a very strong feeling that what she was telling you was that she wanted to share in your hobby / passion.

That's why I'm going to send it in.

Always take your books out of the bag or mylar when scanning. The mylar always make books present much better.

Looks like there are a few thumb creases on that outer edge and some scuffing of the color along the spine. I'd say its in the 5.5 range also.

(thumbs u and the book is out of the Mylar it's sitting on top of it.

(thumbs u and the book is out of the Mylar it's sitting on top of it.

:fear:

That's why I'm going to send it in.

Congratulations! Your wife has a pretty good eye! Please keep us posted as to the CGC grade!

And here's hoping to better than 5.5!smiley-gen130.gif

Definitely interested to see what the grade is when it comes back. Personally I have it at a 5.0 but I hope it grades higher for you two.

Its nice to know she bought the comic from an honest seller because his price was spot on for the grade range.

With the popularity of the Iron man movie franchise and the reflective price of the GPA sell of a 5.0 Iron man #1 mentioned in an earlier response, she came across a pretty good deal. (thumbs u