• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need a great frame shop in LA area!

8 posts in this topic

Well now that I've relocated to LA and have some upcoming art days, I really need a great frame shop. Great does not mean cheap! Priorities are:

Reliability/Professionalism/Safety of art

Selection

Knowledge/Ability to assist with frame/style choices

Then Price!

Any locals have any tips for me!!???

Thank you!

JH

I haven't used them myself yet but Framing Devil has been getting a lot of attention when it comes to screen print art. He does some amazing work.

Here's a link that shows a lot of his work:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=104851

I'm planning on bringing a few pieces to him soon.

Wow, that is some pretty cool stuff!

Also on an LA framing note - do folks use museum plexi instead of museum glass due to earthquake fears? (Stuff falling off walls more often)

Does it look the same or does it make the presentation look more cheaply done?

It is not as nice as regular glass but I feel more comfortable with it. Even so, I have moved my art off the walls last night.

Plexi should have a special cleaner and it is a little more reflective that glass. Whoever you use to frame the art, should be able to give you the cleaning solution as well. Good luck.

True museum plexi costs more than museum glass, is arguably even better at being non reflective than museum glass, and is a lot lighter in weight than museum glass. The upside in earthquake country is that if it fell, it is less likely to shatter and damage the work inside.

being in VA, that is something I used to not be worried about, up until we had an earthquake a few years back, and a couple pieces leaning on the floor tipped over. Nothing on picture wire came off the walls and it was a minor quake by CA standards, but it at least made me rethink how things were hung.

I had to use an oversize piece of Museum plexi on my super huge McKean painting, because Museum glass would have made the box frame weigh a metric ton on the wall. It cost an extra 150-200 for the plexi vs the glass, but was really a necessity.

It was well worth the expense though, because it looks gorgeous under it. I thank myself for spending the extra money on that one every day when I walk past it. In many instances I have used UV glass, but certain select pieces have very much benefitted from museum glass. the Mckean was my second UV plexi frame job, out of the hundred or so pieces I have up on the walls. As was mentioned though, plexi scratches much easier and using special cleaners are a good idea for keeping it looking good. Part of why I haven't used it on more pieces.