• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Triple covers

27 posts in this topic

Hey guys, this is my first post, I just found the place after looking into getting a few comics graded.

So, I was doing some scanning to try to figure out which books to send in and I found out a copy of she hulk #1 I bought a few months ago has 3 covers! I've heard of double covers and how they grade the inside cover, how does the 3rd cover fit in? Does having 3 covers add a multiple to the price of the book?

Thanks in advance, I'm gonna post some scans over at the spare a grade forum to see how it grades out.

Hey guys, this is my first post, I just found the place after looking into getting a few comics graded.

So, I was doing some scanning to try to figure out which books to send in and I found out a copy of she hulk #1 I bought a few months ago has 3 covers! I've heard of double covers and how they grade the inside cover, how does the 3rd cover fit in? Does having 3 covers add a multiple to the price of the book?

Thanks in advance, I'm gonna post some scans over at the spare a grade forum to see how it grades out.

That is very cool.

It certainly increases the value. Not by an astronomical amount.

Welcome! They grade goes to the best cover and that does increase the value of the comic. There are collectors who are into double covers, me not so much.

This is not true.

30vjhvk.jpg

That is very cool.

Welcome! They grade goes to the best cover and that does increase the value of the comic. There are collectors who are into double covers, me not so much.

This is not true.

30vjhvk.jpg

:o

That is very cool.

This is not true.

30vjhvk.jpg

Beat you to it :baiting:

That is very cool.

This is not true.

30vjhvk.jpg

maybe someone wiped their bum with the interior pages.

Thanks for the welcomes!! :)

Here's some scans and a pic of the three covers, I was afraid I would tear one off trying to take a pic lol

FRONT

BACK

Covers, click for a bigger image

z8Gb0Onl.jpg

:applause:

Cool!

That is very cool.

This is not true.

30vjhvk.jpg

So is this just a corner case because of the Tan pages or something? In general how would a book that hasn't even been opened grade out with 3 covers?

Also does anyone know what this thing is worth? I bought it as a news stand copy off ebay in Nov for 8 bucks, but obviously the guy had no idea what he had (hell I didnt even open it until today). I've been getting bombarded with people asking me to sell it. Is this the kind of super rarity that should be slabbed and auctioned? I'm only back into collecting for about 8 months and I haven't had to deal with something like this.

Unless there is some damage to the interior, the books are graded by their highest covers.Ifthere is inner damage, they deduct it from the highest grade cover, one would assume.

I own a bunch of triple cover Avengers. I joke about putting together a complete run but its not going to happen.

Prices have kooled off on these since the largest collector of them dumped his entire collection in a single auction, but a number of people collect them, myself included.

At one point I'd bid on almost any double or multiple cover, but now restrict myself mostly to SA/BA Marvel and DC. I have about 70,in total.

Is it rare? Sort of. Is it worth getting slabbed? Kind of. I could see it bringing up to around $50 at auction. I myself wouldn't slab it. If you want to sell it, auction it here or send it to mycomicshop. I'm not sure you'd get much more for it slabbed than raw.

Others may disagree. Its a very niche market for these books.

Question: for double covers, and even triple covers, are they always attached with the staples. Not sure how this happened, but I have a "double cover" X-Factor #25 and the outside cover isn't connected.

Question: for double covers, and even triple covers, are they always attached with the staples. Not sure how this happened, but I have a "double cover" X-Factor #25 and the outside cover isn't connected.

No, the outer cover is not always stapled on. A have a couple without staples that should have been stapled.

No, the outer cover is not always stapled on. A have a couple without staples that should have been stapled.

:idea:

:idea:

And of course in the case of square-bound books with multiple covers, the outer covers are never stapled on.