• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Showcase 22

23 posts in this topic

Very recent ebay purchase. The book arrived with the centerfold detached so I am considering returning it. On this book, is the detached centerfold going to affect the value a lot? If I keep it I'm sending it to CGC.

As you can see, there is water damage on the bottom and outer edge of the book. First couple pages were dog eared to match the dog ear on the cover. Nice looking cover considering. Pages were supple. I think it's a 2.0

What do you think?

Showcase22a_zpse7e8c68f.jpeg

Showcase22b_zps811d9911.jpeg

I don't think its a 2.0 with the centerfold detached and the water damage factored in.. Sending it back is up to you and the price you paid for it. You can always upgrade later and sell this one with the detached centerfold disclosed.

If it was me personally and the seller did not mention the centerfold, I'd be sending it back.

Hi Josh! I think this is more along the lines of 1.5 IMHO! There is too much going on with the staining on the lower front cover, heavy cover wear, creases, heavy edge wear and missing pieces on the back cover. The loose or detached centre fold would not effect the grade.

I don't think its a 2.0 with the centerfold detached and the water damage factored in.. Sending it back is up to you and the price you paid for it. You can always upgrade later and sell this one with the detached centerfold disclosed.

If it was me personally and the seller did not mention the centerfold, I'd be sending it back.

But a loose or detached centre fold doesn't effect the grade up to 2.5 so it would be shaky grounds for sending it back unless the seller advertised it as a higher grade? Would you not agree?

At that low a grade I don't imagine the detached CF or the back cover staining would impact the grade beyond being just two more mitigating flaws on a well read copy. Still, a detached CF should be mentioned and not just accounted for. All too many sellers, including dealers, don't feel compelled to mention specific flaws not evident in a picture on lower grade books, but plenty of collectors have particular flaws that bother them, even on low grade.

Looks about a 1.8, as the front cover isn't too bad for a 2.0 or under book. personally I'd rather have this than some of the CGC 2.0s I've seen that are structurally sound but have ugly front covers. I see it was purchased for less than I would expect a solid 2.0 copy to go for, so I'd only return it if you really object to detached centerfolds.

I'd leave it raw and not worry about the CGC grade if it were me.

At that low a grade I don't imagine the detached CF or the back cover staining would impact the grade beyond being just two more mitigating flaws on a well read copy. Still, a detached CF should be mentioned and not just accounted for. All too many sellers, including dealers, don't feel compelled to mention specific flaws not evident in a picture on lower grade books, but plenty of collectors have particular flaws that bother them, even on low grade.

Looks about a 1.8, as the front cover isn't too bad for a 2.0 or under book. personally I'd rather have this than some of the CGC 2.0s I've seen that are structurally sound but have ugly front covers. I see it was purchased for less than I would expect a solid 2.0 copy to go for, so I'd only return it if you really object to detached centerfolds.

I'd leave it raw and not worry about the CGC grade if it were me.

Exactly. I picked this copy because it was an affordable but well presenting low grade copy. The water damage didn't bother me here because it blends in with the cover. The detached centerfold is something that I would have considered in making my bids. I've bought an issue with a detached cover before, but I factored that into the price.

The cover would have to be completely split or have a big chunk out of it, or the book would have to have brittle pages for most ( including CGC) to consider it only a 1.0.

The cover would have to be completely split or have a big chunk out of it, or the book would have to have brittle pages for most ( including CGC) to consider it only a 1.0.

I stand behind my grade. :sumo: Without water stains,maybe a 2.0.Unfortunately it has the stains. :eek:

I stand behind my grade. :sumo: Without water stains,maybe a 2.0.Unfortunately it has the stains. :eek:

I'll see your 1.0 and raise you .5!