• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Story vs art in comics

37 posts in this topic

What comes to your mind when you think about great art- bad story and vice versa in comics?

And what are your favourites where the balance (great story-great art) has been reached?

regards

great story/bad art - i always wonder why they don't get a different artist before they release it

great art/bad story - i wonder how they sold the idea

great story/great art - (i'll go more recent books so we don't just cite classics)

Black Beetle

Breath of Bones - A tale of a golem

Blacksad

Good topic. For me, it's always been a challenge getting through a book with a superb story but mediocre art. If the story is bad, but the art brilliant, it's much easier to digest. The visuals are much more important to me.

I love the Uncanny X-Men 94-141 run. Though I get much more out of the Claremont-Byrne issues than I do Claremont-Cockrum. While Cockrum is important to the X-Men canon, I sometimes wonder if the X-Men and Wolverine would have been as popular today if Byrne never laid his hand on that title.

I also think Silver Surfer (vol II) run would have been more appreciated if the visuals were handled by a different artist. Sorry Ron Lim fans, despite good spurts of story-telling by Englehart, Starlin, et al., Lim's art, for me, just didn't do it. While it did last 146 issues, I think that title had the potential to be much more. Just Imagine: What If John Buscema illustrated Silver Surfer Vol II?

Good topic. For me, it's always been a challenge getting through a book with a superb story but mediocre art. If the story is bad, but the art brilliant, it's much easier to digest. The visuals are much more important to me.

I love the Uncanny X-Men 94-141 run. Though I get much more out of the Claremont-Byrne issues than I do Claremont-Cockrum. While Cockrum is important to the X-Men canon, I sometimes wonder if the X-Men and Wolverine would have been as popular today if Byrne never laid his hand on that title.

I also think Silver Surfer (vol II) run would have been more appreciated if the visuals were handled by a different artist. Sorry Ron Lim fans, despite good spurts of story-telling by Englehart, Starlin, et al., Lim's art, for me, just didn't do it. While it did last 146 issues, I think that title had the potential to be much more. Just Imagine: What If John Buscema illustrated Silver Surfer Vol II?

This is what makes comic collecting so great.

I loved Lim's art on Surfer, and felt it was a perfect match.

I won't follow my favorite artists from book to book just because they are illustrating it, but I will always pick up a new series, or run, that any of my favorite writers begin.

I used to be an artist fan, but as I've grown older, I am more about the storytelling.

What comes to your mind when you think about great art- bad story and vice versa in comics?

And what are your favourites where the balance (great story-great art) has been reached?

regards

great story/bad art - i always wonder why they don't get a different artist before they release it

great story/great art - (i'll go more recent books so we don't just cite classics)

Black Beetle

Blacksad

Blacksad :cloud9:

Didn't knew this great project was avaiable in the US.

Do many of you know/ read this title?

220px-Blacksad_1_action.jpg

BLACKSAD_04_crack.jpg

Blacksad4casebar.jpg

regards

Black Beetle

Blacksad

Blacksad :cloud9:

Didn't knew this great project was avaiable in the US.

Do many of you know/ read this title?

220px-Blacksad_1_action.jpg

BLACKSAD_04_crack.jpg

Blacksad4casebar.jpg

The first 3 books are collected in hardcover and the 4th is a seperate hardcover, the 5th, Amarillo is available in English from October in UK so ii'm guessing its around then for US too

The finest action poses, good girl art, and stylized noodling don't compensate for a mediocre understanding of how words and pictures interplay to create strong graphic storytelling.

Well worth repeating.

The finest action poses, good girl art, and stylized noodling don't compensate for a mediocre understanding of how words and pictures interplay to create strong graphic storytelling.

Well worth repeating.

+1

On a more mainstream (and modern) sugestion, i would propose the inhumans mini-séries written by Paul Jenkins and the great Jae Lee.

Loved this fantastic combo good writer + great artist... :cloud9:

43836975736.1.P1.GIF

43836975736.1.P2.GIF

43836975736.1.P3.GIF

loved the issue where an old man remembers his encounter with triton, where triton saves him from drowning!

regards

Both, and I would add in Inker as well, as some of my favorite artists (Byrne, Adams, etc.) do much better with some inkers than others.

For example, I collect books with Buscema-Staton art in them, but neither guy individually.

Both, and I would add in Inker as well, as some of my favorite artists (Byrne, Adams, etc.) do much better with some inkers than others.

For example, I collect books with Buscema-Staton art in them, but neither guy individually.

writer, artist and inker, indeed (thumbs u

regards