• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Not even close to enough people for the volume they do. They need to get their act together and stop being a mom&pop shop with everything they do.

They have more than enough income to do much much better. No excuses.

:eyeroll:

Which one of those is you?

???

My solve involvement with CGC is working for the Signature Series program at various shows throughout the year.

They don't pay you to defend them on the interweb?

If not....they should.

Don't pick on him too much. He's entitled to his opinion even if it's wrong.

Of course, now PQ is considered more in the grade than it was at first, too.

When did CGC start factoring PQ into the grade? Please enlighten me. :popcorn:

STAY OFF-TOPIC!!!!

I thought it went without saying that quite often when people use the word 'everyone' it doesn't really mean 'everyone'. Like 'everyone is so excited to watch the Rams play today'. It's a figure of speech and nothing to lose sleep over...

I wasn't losing sleep over it, that's why I posted a simple "nope". Do you think even a majority of comic collectors collect slabbed books?

Well then after the simple 'nope' you went on a wild foaming at the mouth tirade...that's why i worried you would lose sleep over it....

I did?

I thought it went without saying that quite often when people use the word 'everyone' it doesn't really mean 'everyone'. Like 'everyone is so excited to watch the Rams play today'. It's a figure of speech and nothing to lose sleep over...

I wasn't losing sleep over it, that's why I posted a simple "nope". Do you think even a majority of comic collectors collect slabbed books?

Well then after the simple 'nope' you went on a wild foaming at the mouth tirade...that's why i worried you would lose sleep over it....

I did?

Maybe not...

Because it's not a "screw up."

It's an opinion, of *this* book, at *this* time, on *this* day.

And yes, you're perfectly right: a 9.6 and 9.8 can often be interchangeable.

There are books that are definitive 9.6 and 9.8.

The problem is that there is no 9.7 grade. I have seen thousands of books that "in my mind" I call a 9.7 and decide if I should give it a 9.6 or 9.8 depending on certain factors, one factor being "Will this book look like a 9.6 or a 9.8 in a holder".

You also can't have a 9.1, 9.3, 9.5 or 9.7 grade in the scale, as it would make it even more difficult to be a consistent grader.

PQ can change depending on the lighting. I had more trouble with PQ at onsite grading than I did sitting at my grading desk in an office.

Luckily there was a 6.5 grade that the JiM # 83 should've maybe ended up at? hm

Not trying to be an arse though, Steve. Just the first thing that popped into my head. :)

Did anyone request grader's notes on the book or has that already been covered?

Who wants to pay for something that should be free?

Does kav have:

a). a real job?

b). no job?

c). this......as a job?

d). a real life?

e). no life?

f). to give up a life?

g). a lot of time on his hands?

h). too much time on his hands?

i). a lot of posts?

j). too many posts?

k). to give up his posts?

l). to get his own private thread so he can post to himself?

The label changed color; the number on the label did a little two step; the page quality is schizophrenic.

No consistency in grade, page quality, or the results of the resto check. Mistakes happen, the graders are human, yadda, yadda, yadda; I get it. The problem is, when you consider these inconsistencies in the context of a market that values one grade increment over another to such a degree that the time, expense and risk involved in resubmitting books is more often than not worthwhile, and thus profitable, it becomes clear that this entire segment of the hobby has jumped the shark.

You are taking isolated incidents and extrapolating them like it's common place. It isn't.

I made a living fixing Benz's for the last 11 years of that career and yet they are regarded as awesome cars. Why? Because they're perfect? If they were perfect they wouldn't have 10 or 15 dealerships in Southern Ontario to repair them.

Isolated incident card played.... :tonofbricks:

Does kav have:

a). a real job?

b). no job?

c). this......as a job?

d). a real life?

e). no life?

f). to give up a life?

g). a lot of time on his hands?

h). too much time on his hands?

i). a lot of posts?

j). too many posts?

k). to give up his posts?

l). to get his own private thread so he can post to himself?

Every one of these questions has already been answered-several times....

PAY ATTENTION

that was a long time ago, and as I said to another. Make a thread, and I'll be happy to go back and dig it all up. It involves posts, PMs, a mod, another forum, and a bunch of other people.

It has nothing at all to do with what you posted. Which is of course, more untrue things. I did not say what you just tried to imply with those quotes. I never told anyone to meet me anywhere.

You're lying.

nope, I would never lie. You accuse me of lying, so now I have to respond yet again off-topic.

A person said sexually derogatory remarks to me. I called them out on it, and implied they would not speak to me that way in person. I still have the massive PM debate with the mod on it, where we debate it at length, and he even posts my deleted remarks.

the strike was for what was "implied" based on that mod's opinion. Even the strike didnt claim I threatened anyone directly, just his chosen interpretation of what I said.

Yet, the sexually derogatory remarks were not removed, the other person who is in your and the mods circle of friends... received no moderation, imagine that.

But, this unbiased moderation did delete the post where I said this so no one could see it:

"I am very happy with a mod to review what has been said by all. I am not threatening anyone, or saying anything vulgar. "

yah, leave the sexual derogatory remarks, but delete that lol . CGC boards FTW

Edited by CBT

The label changed color; the number on the label did a little two step; the page quality is schizophrenic.

No consistency in grade, page quality, or the results of the resto check. Mistakes happen, the graders are human, yadda, yadda, yadda; I get it. The problem is, when you consider these inconsistencies in the context of a market that values one grade increment over another to such a degree that the time, expense and risk involved in resubmitting books is more often than not worthwhile, and thus profitable, it becomes clear that this entire segment of the hobby has jumped the shark.

You are taking isolated incidents and extrapolating them like it's common place. It isn't.

I made a living fixing Benz's for the last 11 years of that career and yet they are regarded as awesome cars. Why? Because they're perfect? If they were perfect they wouldn't have 10 or 15 dealerships in Southern Ontario to repair them.

Isolated incident card played.... :tonofbricks:

So why was the book ever de-slabbed and resubmitted in the first place? What is the reason for doing something like that?

News flash EVERYONE: Kav was wrong-people do not prefer slabbed books. That's why CGC doesn't exist and no one sends 'em anything to grade. You can all go home now.

News flash EVERYONE: Because a company exists EVERYONE wants their product. You can all go home now.

Because it's not a "screw up."

It's an opinion, of *this* book, at *this* time, on *this* day.

And yes, you're perfectly right: a 9.6 and 9.8 can often be interchangeable.

There are books that are definitive 9.6 and 9.8.

The problem is that there is no 9.7 grade. I have seen thousands of books that "in my mind" I call a 9.7 and decide if I should give it a 9.6 or 9.8 depending on certain factors, one factor being "Will this book look like a 9.6 or a 9.8 in a holder".

You also can't have a 9.1, 9.3, 9.5 or 9.7 grade in the scale, as it would make it even more difficult to be a consistent grader.

PQ can change depending on the lighting. I had more trouble with PQ at onsite grading than I did sitting at my grading desk in an office.

Luckily there was a 6.5 grade that the JiM # 83 should've maybe ended up at? hm

Not trying to be an arse though, Steve. Just the first thing that popped into my head. :)

Did anyone request grader's notes on the book or has that already been covered?

Who wants to pay for something that should be free?

Two words: bottled water.

this thread is a debacle.

Spider-Dan, next time you have an update, please do let us know, and put it in a new thread.

Hopefully, given that most everything has already been covered, that one can stay laser-focused on what has occurred, and what changes/improvements need to happen because of it

Edited by CBT

Speaking of quality over price...I have begun to buy organic food, which is, as those of you who buy it know, much more expensive, generally, than "regular" food.

But...when you consider the poison that we all ingest on a daily basis, especially in the face of genetic modification, and the fact that the "real" price of unfiddled with food is much higher than what we pay, it begins to look like a bargain.

hm

Organic is so confusing. :sorry:

All I know is the organic stuff looks shriveled up and unappetizing and the people walking around the health food store look like zombies....

I'll take a Big Mac every time....

I guess you've never bought from an actual farmer who grows the food. :facepalm:

this thread is a debacle.

Spider-Dan, next time you have an update, please do let us know, and put it in a new thread.

Hopefully, given that most everything has already been covered, that one can stay laser-focused on what has occurred, and what changes/improvements need to happen because of it

I can agree! But one question I would like answered:

WHY? Why would you de-slab a book and then resubmit it?

Several reasons to de-slab and re-submit.

1. To get it signed and re-holdered as a Signature Series

2. Hope for a grade bump

3. To have it pressed and hope for a grade bump

And i am sure there are many more reasons.

Speaking of quality over price...I have begun to buy organic food, which is, as those of you who buy it know, much more expensive, generally, than "regular" food.

But...when you consider the poison that we all ingest on a daily basis, especially in the face of genetic modification, and the fact that the "real" price of unfiddled with food is much higher than what we pay, it begins to look like a bargain.

hm

Organic is so confusing. :sorry:

All I know is the organic stuff looks shriveled up and unappetizing and the people walking around the health food store look like zombies....

I'll take a Big Mac every time....

I guess you've never bought from an actual farmer who grows the food. :facepalm:

HIPPIE!

Several reasons to de-slab and re-submit.

1. To get it signed and re-holdered as a Signature Series

2. Hope for a grade bump

3. To have it pressed and hope for a grade bump

And i am sure there are many more reasons.

or in this case, cause it was already graded before as a Blue, and the story of "everyone checked" sounded suspicious and highly dubious.