• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Yeah, and I really believed I was in a cincture wormhole....

Many of us wish you were. Your posts would be easier to avoid that way.

too... c'mon, locations are known to be jokes, look around. My comment about the limo was a jest towards my monetary situation.

Okay. So then we weren't wrong to presume that you're still in your parent's basement.

Now, we know that is all BS too, but I think Hepcat may have different ideas.

Well my idea has always been that you post nothing but BS which is why I'm ever so glad to just avoid your posts. But when you insist on going out of your way to draw my attention....

Tell me though, do you ever bother to actually discuss what you like about various comics on this board?

???

1) it's called the ignore function - you should use it!

2) my parents don't own a house with a basement :P

3) if you read my posts, you'd see that sometimes I do actually talk about comics - what about that "When Arch gets back..." thread you have, do you talk about comics there? I went through the first few pages and saw nothing of comics, yet it stinks up the CG board every few days. But I know that you are a mod and that thread will never get moved to the WC, where it belongs.

:)

-slym

My parents have a basement. Where else would they put the sex dungeon?

Nice....basement, higher humidity and it doesn't affect the latex!

Yeah, and I really believed I was in a cincture wormhole....

Many of us wish you were. Your posts would be easier to avoid that way.

too... c'mon, locations are known to be jokes, look around. My comment about the limo was a jest towards my monetary situation.

Okay. So then we weren't wrong to presume that you're still in your parent's basement.

Now, we know that is all BS too, but I think Hepcat may have different ideas.

Well my idea has always been that you post nothing but BS which is why I'm ever so glad to just avoid your posts. But when you insist on going out of your way to draw my attention....

Tell me though, do you ever bother to actually discuss what you like about various comics on this board?

???

2) my parents don't own a house with a basement :P

3) if you read my posts, you'd see that sometimes I do actually talk about comics - what about that "When Arch gets back..." thread you have, do you talk about comics there? I went through the first few pages and saw nothing of comics, yet it stinks up the CG board every few days. But I know that you are a mod and that thread will never get moved to the WC, where it belongs.

:)

-slym

My parents have a basement. Where else would they put the sex dungeon?

Sex loft just doesn't have the same ring to it. hm

my parents don't own a house with a basement :P

Well I guess you don't have to worry about getting kicked out of your parents' basement then.

if you read my posts, you'd see that sometimes I do actually talk about comics - what about that "When Arch gets back..." thread you have, do you talk about comics there? I went through the first few pages and saw nothing of comics, yet it stinks up the CG board every few days.

Any one page of that thread has more content than the sum total you've added to this board since day one.

But I know that you are a mod....

Mod? Most people insist I'm a hipster.

TopHatCat2_zps34bd1040.jpg

It's the tophat I guess....

(shrug)

No thanks. Those of us with brains prefer to use them as our spam filters instead of delegating the job to a mindless machine.

I will lead by example on point #1.

*puts HepCat on ignore*

Have it your way then.

;)

Edited by Hepcat

I have been finding plenty of old label books (I seek these out) from 1970-2000 that are overgraded. One example does not a pattern make, nor two, nor a hundred, true...but they DO exist.

I just picked up a 9.6 X-Men #113...has a 1/4" light color breaking crease in the bottom right corner, along with some NCB chatter along the top edge...it was graded 3/10/2003. This is a book I wouldn't grade higher than 9.2, specifically because of the CB crease.

I can't speak to Gold or Silver; I don't deal with those. But for 1970-up, I just don't see the tightness of the early years.

Of course you don't see them, that's the whole point of the Peter Principle of Comics. Tightly graded books have a propensity for being resubbed (with or without additional manipulations), whereas 9.6 books with 1/4" creases remain in stasis. Who's going to resub that X-men 113? No one, that's who. (thumbs u

This point is exactly right (has to be true because I've made it myself many times :D ) Over time, grades will drift higher as tightly graded books are resubmitted.

Exactly, some truths are self-evident. :headbang:

Add to this skewing the additional books that were graded accurately but have subsequently been damaged within the slab due to improper handling, and the situation is exacerbated.

I damaged my slab due to improper handling while I was exacerbating.

I have been finding plenty of old label books (I seek these out) from 1970-2000 that are overgraded. One example does not a pattern make, nor two, nor a hundred, true...but they DO exist.

I just picked up a 9.6 X-Men #113...has a 1/4" light color breaking crease in the bottom right corner, along with some NCB chatter along the top edge...it was graded 3/10/2003. This is a book I wouldn't grade higher than 9.2, specifically because of the CB crease.

I can't speak to Gold or Silver; I don't deal with those. But for 1970-up, I just don't see the tightness of the early years.

Of course you don't see them, that's the whole point of the Peter Principle of Comics. Tightly graded books have a propensity for being resubbed (with or without additional manipulations), whereas 9.6 books with 1/4" creases remain in stasis. Who's going to resub that X-men 113? No one, that's who. (thumbs u

This point is exactly right (has to be true because I've made it myself many times :D ) Over time, grades will drift higher as tightly graded books are resubmitted.

Exactly, some truths are self-evident. :headbang:

Add to this skewing the additional books that were graded accurately but have subsequently been damaged within the slab due to improper handling, and the situation is exacerbated.

I damaged my slab due to improper handling while I was exacerbating.

big cockling happening over here

Seriously, this a LOT for cgc to expect us to swallow!

Two out of three times it's in a blue label, now without even looking at it again, it's DEFINITELY trimmed.

Oh and don't get me started on the "the new owner just wanted this book for his collection forever so he's keeping it". Seems more than a little odd that there's be a fairly expensive walkthru resub on a book he just wanted for his collection and instead of explaining the situation himself, a "friend" with 0 posts is speaking for him meh

Hey, what do I know? Kudos on your resto checks CGC :applause:

What happened to this fellow?

Two out of three times it's in a blue label, now without even looking at it again, it's DEFINITELY trimmed.

Oh and don't get me started on the "the new owner just wanted this book for his collection forever so he's keeping it". Seems more than a little odd that there's be a fairly expensive walkthru resub on a book he just wanted for his collection and instead of explaining the situation himself, a "friend" with 0 posts is speaking for him meh

He went through a really bad divorce, and she "acquired" all his books. :whistle:

He went through a really bad divorce, and she "acquired" all his books. :whistle:

Yeah, I remember that. It was so long ago, I thought he'd make it back by now. He had the fire in the belly.

only to have his Avengers run (which was almost entirely made up of pedigree copies ) auctioned off on Pedigree Comics.

only to have his Avengers run (which was almost entirely made up of pedigree copies ) auctioned off on Pedigree Comics.

Seriously? I can't believe I missed that.

Seriously? I can't believe I missed that.

Shame really. He worked hard to build a Ped only Avengers run. C'est la vie.

The real question is this... exactly who led his wife to Doug (Pedigree Comics)?

Not sure all this talk about Jason is really going to go anywhere good.

Jason had his demons. His ex-wife needed the money and sold the books. Doug got involved because of a board member who was helping to broker the sale of his collection after his ex-wife reached out to that board member to help out.

The specifics are definitely out there, but again, it's really nobody's business and I'm not sure it'd be productive to have a conversation about all this.

The real question is this... exactly who led his wife to Doug (Pedigree Comics)?

Jason had his demons. His ex-wife needed the money and sold the books. Doug got involved because of a board member who was helping to broker the sale of his collection after his ex-wife reached out to that board member to help out.

The specifics are definitely out there, but again, it's really nobody's business and I'm not sure it'd be productive to have a conversation about all this.

... Exactly.

Oh, I was not alluding to shadiness on the part of a boardie... There are many here who have directed families to the doorstops of various auction houses and dealers. If someone reached out to me to handle their collection in case something happened, Doug is the last guy I talk to.

It was more of a 'but really, why Doug' (since it is Doug) and who would do such a thing?

some threads are better off left dead. although the hepcat/slym feud was fun reading