• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM -- Silver Surfer #1 (Skottie Young Cover)

7 posts in this topic

This one is mostly for reference as I've just finished receiving my pre-screens. I sent about 72 books in, and after looking through what passed for 9.6 and above and what didn't, I'm seriously confused.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing Mike Allred at a convention and getting his signature on this one -- as well as Skottie Young's if I can ever catch him -- and I wanted to know what grade this one would get.

They're hard to see, but there are small 1/8" spine tics that don't break color in the black areas. There's also some slight edging about an inch or so long along the right cover. The staples also look a little wonky, though I'm guessing that's manufacturer.

I just wanted to pick everyone's brains. Grade this one as if all else were fine -- interior and back cover.

Thanks in advance!

ELAub74.jpg

If you want your copy of this book graded here you should be sure to post front and back scans. Both covers are required in order to give you an honest grade. You should also mention if there are any hidden defects or flaws that might not show up the scan (cover indents, interior tears or loose center fold for example).

The size of the scan you have here is sufficient however it appears as though you have left the book sleeved while scanning? The plastic tends to hide any flaws that the book might have so it is imperative that you carefully remove the book from the bag prior to scanning both front and back covers.

Lastly I am not familiar with this cover/issue. Is the spine significantly worn or is that part of the art work. Or is that scanner feed back from the plastic? Try reposting when you've got all of the above resolved and I would be happy to provide you with a grade!

Cheers!

Tim

And if the doofus (me) reads the entire post then he wouldn't have written the "king's speech" above! doh!

I would still remove it from the plastic however I would hazard a guess of 8.5 based on what I can or think I am seeing. (shrug)

Timern, thanks for your time.

I can do another scan with the comic out of the sleeve, but it probably won't look much different. The scuffs and white lines are actually part of the book's artwork -- the real issues are the tiny spine tics that are really hard to see on its face, but if you position it under a bulb, they're there.

Mainly, I'm asking because I got some books graded at 9.6 that sort of boggled my mind, while I had several other books not pass pre-screen that looked like they were impeccable shape -- at least in much better shape than the 9.6s.

I'm not here to question CGC's methods -- the point is to figure out what I'm missing, overlooking, or putting too much emphasis on in terms of grading my own books.

Thanks.

Timern, thanks for your time.

I can do another scan with the comic out of the sleeve, but it probably won't look much different. The scuffs and white lines are actually part of the book's artwork -- the real issues are the tiny spine tics that are really hard to see on its face, but if you position it under a bulb, they're there.

Mainly, I'm asking because I got some books graded at 9.6 that sort of boggled my mind, while I had several other books not pass pre-screen that looked like they were impeccable shape -- at least in much better shape than the 9.6s.

I'm not here to question CGC's methods -- the point is to figure out what I'm missing, overlooking, or putting too much emphasis on in terms of grading my own books.

Thanks.

I scan my books at 600dpi. The larger images show many of the slight imperfections that you would otherwise miss. I take a book out and look at it and think what a beauty, scan it and look at the images and then re-evaluate the book physically and find all of the flaws that I missed. It is an eye opener that`s for sure.

If you say that the scuffs and stresses on your book are part of the art work then with careful review I would say that is at least 9.6 - the top and bottom spine corners have bindery flaws as far as I can tell, other than that I can`t see anything, not even the back cover!coffeescreen.gif

I would still take it out of the sleeve, carefully, scan the front and back covers and submit them here for review. Scan at least 300dpi preferably 600dpi. Then I`ll give you a more accurate estimate IMHO!