• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Science #4

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, this one is tough for me because this is overall in very nice shape, but it has writing on the cover. The writing though is very deliberate, neat, and very likely from the original owner 63 years ago. I really like this copy but of course, can you spare a grade? If it is a 6.0 or higher, CGCing it would be worth it, if it is a 5.5 or lower I may just hold off for the time being. Thanks guys!

cap530a2_zps48ec33e4.jpg

cap530b2_zps237bd467.jpg

It depends if the back cover discolorations are the result of a transfer stain or if it lightened by a water stain on the back top and bottom. It looks like the first, but I've made that mistake from a scan before.

CGC does not seem to deduct much for writing on a GA/SA cover unless it really defaces the book. If no H2O damage I'd think this would easily be a 6.0 or higher.

When I have this in front of me, I will tell if it is water or not, I hope it isn't. It looks so nice! I can also upload better scans when I get it in a week or so. Thanks guys! Any exact numbers for the grade from these scans?

"Reading Copy" indicates that the original owner bought two of them and kept one to be in nicer condition. Wonder who the original owner was.

I was thinking the exact same thing, I would love to know its history.

6.5-7.0 maybe a lil higher... biggest thing besides BC discoloration and obvious FC creases is what looks like a BLBC corner tear. Definitely worth a shot

The stain on the back cover isn't attractive, but it's not water, it's transfer from the interior art.

The writing will put off a lot of buyers, but doesn't detract significantly from the visual appeal of the book in mid-grades.

6.5 is a safe bet.

HD images here:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/imcclure2012/scan0001_zps96a7f8c9.jpg~original

and here:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/imcclure2012/scan0002_zpsa141e730.jpg~original

hopefully that helps clear things up!

It took 2 weeks to get it because of some postal issues, but it is now in hand and I am very happy! :)

It should be off to the CGC in two weeks or so, and the results will be posted as well