• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book men what a waste of time.

77 posts in this topic

it's easier to understand this rather than go around calling people brainless...isn't it?

Who's calling anyone brainless (in the first post, which is what he replied to)?

Read the sentence again :facepalm: - I was calling the shows brainless, or do you think Honey Boo Boo is high-brow entertainment? :roflmao:

You post that "old man" image, then come off like a brainless tool by not understanding what I am saying is 100% true and irrefutable.

i'm re-reading it....

also i don't watch TV, it's not for me

Do you have even the faintest clue how incredibly cheap reality TV is compared to network sitcoms, news or investigative programs?

You post that "old man" image, then come off like a brainless tool by not understanding what I am saying is 100% true and irrefutable.

You might want to expand your meager understanding of the genre with some research:

The Economics of Reality TV: Why is the Genre So Darn Cheap?

http://www.rtvfmediastudies.tcu.edu/economics%20why%20the%20genre%20is%20cheap.htm

How much does it cost to produce a reality TV show versus a scripted show?

Some shows are so cheap they involve fewer dollars than you have initials. Well, almost. You know that $100,000 contract that McKey Sullivan just won on America's Next Top Model? The money she'll get for gazing up at all those golly-gee tall New York skyscrapers and burbling, "This is my life as a Cover Girl"? She could make one whole reality TV episode with that cash.

"Generally, half-hour reality shows on cable are budgeted in the $100,000 to $500,000 range, per episode," says Hadjii, producer-director of the BET show Somebodies. (Yes, ANTM is one hour, but the models are really skinny, so they probably take up less budget.)

So how about your favorite scripted comedy or drama, like, say, Grey's Anatomy? Well...

One TV producer tells me that such dramas ring in at roughly $1 million per episode, but these days, that's more like a starting point. Take Spartacus, the sandal-strapped sword-swinging saga coming to the small screen via Starz. One report estimates the show's budget at $2 million per episode.

http://ca.eonline.com/news/70141/which-costs-more-reality-tv-or-scripted-series

I know exactly what your point was and I agree. It just seems the majority of your comment here are complains of one of a kind or another. You seem to live up to the cranky old man stereotype.

And the fact you are offended needing to reply with a long post seems to prove it to me.

the channels have a section of viewers that they aim to entertain, you are not in this group...

Hardly, the economy is bad, these networks don't have the money for quality programming, and all they can afford is reality TV to fill their open slots.

But no way is heck does a channel like History or A&E *want* to replace expensive, quality shows with reality TV junk, but they have no choice economically. They also know it will make the irrelevant in the long run, but again, they need to feed their families tonight, so like most American businesses, they don't care.

I know exactly what your point was and I agree. It just seems the majority of your comment here are complains of one of a kind or another. You seem to live up to the cranky old man stereotype.

Nope, I just have a brain in my head and don't have the time to waste on IQ-lowering garbage like reality TV. The "dumbing down" of America is an extremely depressing situation.

It may not be the best , most entertaining show in the world . But how many other shows out there on today's tv, or even ever in the history of TV have there been about comic books ?

Anything that has the possibility of bringing people into the comic book world is more than ok with me .

I sell comics in a trade center . People have asked about specific comics that have been mentioned or shown on the tv show .

I had a beautiful Amazing Spiderman # 238 . After it was shown being sold on the tv show. For $90 . I quickly sold mine for $60.

So the show may be a waste of time to you. But some of us appreciate what it does for the hobby .

But it ain't about comic books. It is a platform for their inane populist wildly_fanciful_statement.

the channels have a section of viewers that they aim to entertain, you are not in this group...

Hardly, the economy is bad, these networks don't have the money for quality programming, and all they can afford is reality TV to fill their open slots.

But no way is heck does a channel like History or A&E *want* to replace expensive, quality shows with reality TV junk, but they have no choice economically. They also know it will make the irrelevant in the long run, but again, they need to feed their families tonight, so like most American businesses, they don't care.

so they don't have a demographic?

Sure it's cheap but there is alot more space for programs now, maybe 30 years ago the TV had a higher quality but they had 3 shows and they repeated them until it was burned into your mind

Most of it requires very little brain power to watch. However, the same can be said about many movies. I too find it sad that channels like History and A&E have to resort to this type of entertainment but I guess that's what it is, entertainment. Just not for me personally

My wife looks at me like I have three heads because I'm sitting there watching documentaries about the dark ages and world war II. lol

Most of it requires very little brain power to watch. However, the same can be said about many movies. I too find it sad that channels like History and A&E have to resort to this type of entertainment but I guess that's what it is, entertainment. Just not for me personally

My wife looks at me like I have three heads because I'm sitting there watching documentaries about the dark ages and world war II. lol

My wife does the same thing.I tell her that if you don't learn from the past,you are doomed to repeat it.

Oakman-who is a huge history buff. :cloud9:

I remember when the History Channel was jokingly referred to as the Hitler Channel or the WW II channel. :cloud9:

Now, we've got, among others things, guys cutting down trees and being filmed to do it and some guy named Shelby who lives in a swamp :eyeroll:

Off topic, but does anyone know what happened to the guy in the first season that brought in all those GA books like detective 38, all star 8, etc. It looked like the guy had a quarter mil in that box, I always wondered if it was set up or did the collection surface in auction after?

Comic Book Men is lame.

But....Kevin Smith's FatMan on Batman podcast is pretty good, if you're into rambling interviews with Neal Adams, Joe Quesada, etc.

(thumbs u

It's great for my commute!

I remember when the History Channel was jokingly referred to as the Hitler Channel or the WW II channel. :cloud9:

Now, we've got, among others things, guys cutting down trees and being filmed to do it and some guy named Shelby who lives in a swamp :eyeroll:

After twenty years of endlessly showing WW2 films, there was very little fresh footage to show.

When I was a kid, Keystone Cops, Bowery Boys and Abbott and Costello films were the filler for the non-network stations, most of whom signed off around 1AM and started back up at 6AM.

Now eacjh of the 200 plus networks has 24 hour broadcasting. Obviously, more filler is needed.

Comic Book Men is lame.

But....Kevin Smith's FatMan on Batman podcast is pretty good, if you're into rambling interviews with Neal Adams, Joe Quesada, etc.

(thumbs u

I haven't heard Smith's Fatman on Batman yet, but the Comic Book Men Podcast is worse than the show.

I didn't watch the last 2 weeks, but a couple before that actually seemed like they were trying to put in a little more comic substance. For example, the episode where they had the comic trivia challenge. I'll definitely agree most of the time it's 2 minutes of comics and the rest is just silly filler. Not something on my must watch list, but if I feel like staying up on Sunday nights I'll usually watch it.

Comic Book Men is lame.

(thumbs u

I haven't heard Smith's Fatman on Batman yet, but the Comic Book Men Podcast is worse than the show.

The Interviews with Neal Adams and Denny Oneil are awesome

Imagine the guy at your LCS was filmed during some transaction. Then him and his buddies talked about it for a long time. That's how interesting CBM is. I also watched 15 min worth and I'm outta here. What a dud.