• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM slabbed copy of JIM 88/ test your skill/ pressing possible?

23 posts in this topic

Hey guys, would love opinions on what you think this copy is graded at, or will a press work out, it has cream to ow pages.

Click for high res

TY!

0ZrekV9l.jpg

Z5bfqqWl.jpg

5FeaL2dl.jpg

ii6h7Cjl.jpg

JTr6mUJl.jpg

EU1RdEvl.jpg

MQ84x3yl.jpg

tU7hnHyl.jpg

tcE5Nzsl.jpg

Jfl4A0kl.jpg

KEXzVlul.jpg

I can't answer your question on dry cleaning or pressing, Joey Post would be the best person to answer those questions.

I would say 7.0 IMHO! Nice looking copy with some minor issues.

^^ Now tell me why it's a 5, cuz it looks like a 6.5 to me. I got it sealed so I don't know if there's any issues inside, but I think the covers look awesome, other than the spine. (shrug)

0yQ9B0ol.jpg

Upon closer inspection of the new image it appears as though there are two small tears on the top of the front cover. One just above the 'Y' in JOURNEY and another above the 'N' in INTO.

In viewing your original scans these two small tears were not visible to me. It also appears that the area just to the left of Loki may have some colour and/or loss of lustre. I think these items add up and that my 7.0 guess was off.

Having said that, your rest of your book needs images similar to the new one you submitted for the front and back covers to be able to give you a more concise grade opinion. The book certainly looks nicer than the 5.0 it's been awarded but there may also be some hidden defects that we are not privy to without the graders notes.

I hope this eases your suspicion slightly but if you want to PM some larger images to me I would be happy to review the book more closely for you.

Cheers!

Tim

^^ Now tell me why it's a 5, cuz it looks like a 6.5 to me. I bought it sealed so I don't know if there's any issues inside, but I think the covers look awesome, other than the spine. (shrug)

0yQ9B0ol.jpg

I was gonna guess 5.5.

it's not Fine (6.0) due to the multiple creasing along the spine and the one larger one at the bottom.

A press wouldn't help it more than one notch I think, and probably not even that.

Upon further analysis of your images, the bottom corners of your book are not as sharp as most other graded copies at 6.5 and higher so that would keep this book, in my opinion at 6.0 maximum.

The bottom edge of the front cover has some minor impact damage and there also appears to be some impact damage on the LHS of the back cover near the word 'REWARD'. The evidence of the darker vertical line where dirt and grime have accumulated suggests that.

There is minute chipping along the RHS of the front cover that I think can be attributed to "Marvel Chipping" and at this grade level will no have any effect whatsoever.

So finally, getting back to the two small tears at the top of the front cover, one just above the 'Y' in JOURNEY and another above the 'N' in INTO. These two tears are in my opinion responsible for tipping the scale from 6.0 to 5.5 maximum.

Here in lies the dilemma. Do you resubmit this book with the hopes of getting a .5 grade bump, which by no means is unreasonable given the subjectivity of grading on any given day and the fact that we are all human? Do you chance the possibility of restoration detection, although I think the probability would be extremely low. Or do you enjoy the book in it's given grade and encapsulation because so many other of us don't have one in any grade?

The call is up to you Chad but after spending almost an hour and a half reviewing your images and comparing then with similar CGC graded and HA graded books of varying grades I am comfortable with the 5.0 CGC has assigned your copy.

One thing that you must take into consideration when looking at your book is that under the encapsulation plastic and the inner sleeve jacket some of the less visible defects can be lost without exhaustive investigation and looking at the book from multiple angles. I have some books that I am/was baffled by the grade assigned. I spent many hours looking to see if I could find what it was that was preventing this book from grading higher. I found that it was necessary to look at every (and I mean every) angle when like magic you suddenly see what was right before your eyes - and the graders eyes too!

I would try and put a little more faith in CGC and their graders. They don't always get it right but hey if they and we were perfect then most likely we wouldn't be from this world!

Cheers!

Tim

I was going to iPhone swag at 6.0

I think it has potential to get there from the 5.0 grade you currently have but if be surprised if higher.

Dry clean would help but that's a slippery slope.

^^ Now tell me why it's a 5, cuz it looks like a 6.5 to me. I bought it sealed so I don't know if there's any issues inside, but I think the covers look awesome, other than the spine. (shrug)

0yQ9B0ol.jpg

Looks like the consensus is right around a 5.5. Press and clean and you might get a 5.5 or even a 6.0 on resub. Or you might get a 5.0 again. If it hits 6.0 the difference would be more than the cost to press and regrade. I'd advise enjoying a good looking 5.0.