• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy, Wait, or move along........

32 posts in this topic

Thinking of buying a few of the first appearances related to the current & upcoming movie releases. I am still kicking my own butt for not buying these a few years back before prices sky-rocketed. Anyway, what are members thoughts on buying these issues at today's prices ? I would be buying to add to my collection, which will probably one day be given to my children. And although I am not a price speculator I would like to know the books I bought will retain their current value.

Here are a few I was thinking about picking up............

Avengers 55 (First Ultron)

IronMan 55 (First Thanos)

Avengers 57 (First Vision)

Strange Tales 110 (First Dr. Strange)

Etc................

Basing my opinion on long term investment.Out of these my best bet would be Iron Man 55 as Thanos is already a bad azzz and after the Avengers 3 he will be mainstream but for the most bang for your money its Strange Tales 110 as its still cheap enough and its a major character and going to be a major movie. But will add that if you get it cheap enough you cant go wrong with any of these.

...Just too bad the cover for ST #110 does not have the good doctor on the cover and to me it is kind of a 'weak' cover all around...

...If I had the $ it would be either IM #55 or ST #110...

As an alternative, for long term collecting, just start snatching up any 1st appearances that you would actually ENJOY...

Not buying to flip, buying for longer term collection.

Getting mixed reviews so far.

Well it's a personal opinion. Someone might buy a particular item no matter the cost, others would prefer to not purchase something that's at the perceived height of it's value. No one could know for sure what's going to happen in the future, so everyone's going to have differing opinions on the matter.

My thoughts are that if you are looking for a short term flip these May or may not pay off. I can't see any of these holding their inflated values long term, so in your case I'd pass.

+1

These have already been priced up. You'd be buying at the top of the market.

Thinking of buying a few of the first appearances related to the current & upcoming movie releases. I am still kicking my own butt for not buying these a few years back before prices sky-rocketed. Anyway, what are members thoughts on buying these issues at today's prices ? I would be buying to add to my collection, which will probably one day be given to my children. And although I am not a price speculator I would like to know the books I bought will retain their current value.

Here are a few I was thinking about picking up............

Avengers 55 (First Ultron)

IronMan 55 (First Thanos)

Avengers 57 (First Vision)

Strange Tales 110 (First Dr. Strange)

Etc................

These are all already overpriced. 2c

Avengers 55 would likely be the worst long term - look at the track record for movie villains who weren't particularly popular before the movie announcement - Whiplash, Mandarin, and the completely obscure Silver Samurai.

I'd think it would be a safe bet to pick up a nice mid grade copy of all these books since they probably will be good long term investments. 10 years from now there could be a stand-alone Ultron movie that would triple the price of an Avengers 55. Who knows but I don't see you losing money over the next 10 / 20 years on these books.

Avengers 55 would likely be the worst long term - look at the track record for movie villains who weren't particularly popular before the movie announcement - Whiplash, Mandarin, and the completely obscure Silver Samurai.

You're not seriously comparing Ultron to the likes of Whiplash are you? Cuz Ultron is a badazz mofo.

I'd go st 110, avengers 57, iron man 55, avengers 55...in that order

That was my thinking as well, The Vision has always been one of my favorite characters because of his unique abilities. And Dr. Strange is just a cool dude.

BTW...love the Punisher emblem.

I would add Amazing Spiderman 300 if you want a book that you can still get relativley cheap and has enormous potential. Popular , movie coming out in a few years. Could be the hulk 181 of its time frame one day.

I would avoid all of these for long term investments. I suspect that interest in them is more likely to go down after the movie hype dies than up.

If you're thinking long term, I would look for important books that are a little cooler than normal right now, not the hottest movie hype books.

Or even better yet, collect something that you personally think is really cool and would enjoy owning. :D

I'd go st 110, avengers 57, iron man 55, avengers 55...in that order

That was my thinking as well, The Vision has always been one of my favorite characters because of his unique abilities. And Dr. Strange is just a cool dude.

BTW...love the Punisher emblem.

Yeah, vision is a really cool character and one who I think is under the radar for sure. St 110 is expensive right now but can be had in certain lower grades for 5-800. Strange is a very cool character and I'm excited to see what marvel does with him for sure. Of all though st 110 is the book to have. Regardless rather movie speculation or not. Thanks the punisher is my favorite character.