• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do 9.8 slabs worth 2k+ tend do at auction on Ebay?

21 posts in this topic

I'd think you would be better off with a HA or CC auction. Same 10% but better chance at selling at a high price. Idk if many people are looking for a 9.8 of a non key Spidey.

I'd think you would be better off with a HA or CC auction. Same 10% but better chance at selling at a high price. Idk if many people are looking for a 9.8 of a non key Spidey.

CC auction = 10% + 3% more if buyer pays with CC

CL auction = 10%

Heritage = Unless you have a lot of $'s worth of books, it will probably be more than 10%, at least if you factor in both buyers and sellers fees (the total of which I believe varies depending on how much total $'s worth of books you consign with HA, although I couldn't easily locate a fee schedule on HA.com)

Funny you mention TWD #1, I sold that very comic on Ebay recently at a decent price, with the buyer clicking buy now without even making an offer.

The comic I have is a Spiderman, not necessarily a key.

Silver Age sometimes gets lost in the sea of other auctions. Set a decent starting bid so you don't get burned.

For the regular eBay sellers they do as well as every other venue. On any specific book, on any particular eBay day, they will do better/same/worse than selling through any other venue. Every venue has its pros & cons for selling. Realised price isn't generally the main issue, other factors tend to be the differentiators.

For the regular eBay sellers they do as well as every other venue. On any specific book, on any particular eBay day, they will do better/same/worse than selling through any other venue. Every venue has its pros & cons for selling. Realised price isn't generally the main issue, other factors tend to be the differentiators.
+1

I had a bunch of late 60's avengers all 9.8 white and took a beating. I had a Batman 189 9.8 and took a beating. I can't really ever say I walked away from EBay feeling like I hit a home run. Now I just list BIN.

Im doing that currently, BINs. I've had some success, but I've also had numerous $300 offers on $400 books, and they don't come up. Such is Ebay. The interesting thing is that every single book I've put on Ebay was the cheapest posting for that specific book when posted. Still doesn't necessarily lead to good offers.

eBay is very inconsistent, for you need to be lucky as well as good.

I put up a minor key this past week at 9.6 raw and it sold for $15.50. Another copy in the same condition 3 weeks ago went for $41.

I have a bunch of followers, though...and it grows each week. I think having many repeat customers is the best way to decrease the "luck" element of eBay.

Peace,

Chip

BIN's are good, but I think it discourages interest to some extent. Some people just don't want to pay asking price because they feel like they are buying at retail. (I know I do!) I love the "Make Offer" option! I've made many offers to sellers who respond with valid counter offers. Not all lead to a sale, but it engenders communication that buyers love! The sellers that blatantly decline offers are the ones that are not taking full advantage of the system. That just puts off buyers. Even if you get low-balled, send a counter...who knows...that may stimulate the buyer to move closer to your ideal selling price! (thumbs u

BIN's are good, but I think it discourages interest to some extent. Some people just don't want to pay asking price because they feel like they are buying at retail. (I know I do!) I love the "Make Offer" option! I've made many offers to sellers who respond with valid counter offers. Not all lead to a sale, but it engenders communication that buyers love! The sellers that blatantly decline offers are the ones that are not taking full advantage of the system. That just puts off buyers. Even if you get low-balled, send a counter...who knows...that may stimulate the buyer to move closer to your ideal selling price! (thumbs u

Whats interesting to me is how often people don't even make offers. I mean they will drive the price up perhaps on an auction, but wont make an offer. Sometimes Ill price a book at $325 forever and a day, without any offer, then send it to auction and get even more. Not all the time, or else auctions would be more attractive. I did sell a Thor last night for more than $300 at an auction, and couldn't attract moss with it as a BIN listed about that same price.

I completely agree with that, IME. People seldom make offers unless it's a low-ball, and yet selling the same exact issue at a 99-cent opening bid for a week-long auction will bring more at final hammer than your original asking price.

eBay is definitely an odd duck, that's for sure.

Peace,

Chip

The auctions are bit anxiety inducing though. That $300 Thor was at $100 until the snipers came in :)

I think that's part of it too, many buyers snipe only at this point. They don't even look at the BINs, because the majority are so much higher than GPA. You will have 8 sales of a particular book, and all 8 are above GPA, which is one reason my books are always the cheapest of that book. It's not hard to be the cheapest usually.

Whats interesting to me is how often people don't even make offers. I mean they will drive the price up perhaps on an auction, but wont make an offer. Sometimes Ill price a book at $325 forever and a day, without any offer, then send it to auction and get even more. Not all the time, or else auctions would be more attractive. I did sell a Thor last night for more than $300 at an auction, and couldn't attract moss with it as a BIN listed about that same price.

Right! People love the live auction! The bidding aspect and winning are even more attractive to a buyer than BIN or Make Offer! When bidding, the potential buyers are trying to outdo a competitor... it's like gambling! I know paying for a reserve sucks, but it definitely brings more action to the listing to start it at 99 cents and let buyers tell you what they'll pay. Personally, I think there are WAY too many BIN's and not enough actual auctions in the comic listings. It's more like a store front and less like an auction. It sucks to find a book you want on ebay with a BIN way over it's value and not have any option to negotiate price. Even Metropolis and Pedigree let you make offers on their books...and they are legit comic stores.

I've purchased one book on ebay in the last 2 weeks and it was a live auction listing. I paid a bit more than I would have liked but I really wanted it. If it was BIN at the the price I paid, I likely would have passed it by. I ended up paying GPA price and a bit over CPG value plus shipping. I've put in offers on at least 4 books in the last 2 weeks and was declined with no counter...every time. I've given up on those books. I ebay messaged one guy and offered a reasonable price for a book ($25 over GPA and about $75 over CPG) and he just less than politely said no...again with no counter offer. That book is still in my sights, but I hate to pay $125 over GPA. I just want the book.

One of the perks of using these boards is that auction houses can read the posts, then pm you with advance offers and placement schedules so you know exactly what your options are with them.

Just saying :)