• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My vote for most undervalued

13 posts in this topic

A short while back, there was a thread going about undervalued GA. I'm reviving this topic as I just got back some nice GA slabs from CGC. So here's the book in question:

TRAPPED! (Harvey Giveaway, 1951)

This is a promotional drug education comic, referenced twice in SOTI, and OS notes that it had low print run (estimated at 30,000). Here's one cool book that is rare as hen's teeth to find in high grade. Even though it doesn't guide for much, I had it slabbed as it was such a beautiful copy. Mine came back graded at 9.0.

So what's this beauty list for in OS in VF/NM?.....drum roll please....

Ta da! 10 bucks.

10 bucks!?!? That's an outrage for such a nifty rarity. What the hell gives? Any ideas??

If ever there was a book in need of a major price correction, this is it. foreheadslap.gifsign-rantpost.gif

It was? I was under the impression that none of the giveaways were unearthed in the Harvey warehouse finds. Hmm, well, mebbe I'm wrong on that one. Thanks for the correction. Still, it's got to go for more than 10 bucks, or 20. Maybe I will list it on ebay just as an experiment...if I can convince myself to part with it!

TRAPPED! was a very high demand book around 1978, and listed then for about 45 bucks in high grade. Then a load of copies were found in a warehouse, and the book's value went way down. I remember picking up one for five bucks at a con, thinking I was getting a steal. I was pretty disappointed when the next OS guide showed a major reduction in value.

Ah, those pre-internet collecting days! crazy.gif

Ah well...still don't regret getting it slabbed, though...at 9.0, it'll at least be the single highest graded copy on the census, for what that's worth. It was a super-sharp copy and I was just real curious as to what CGC would grade it as. I wouldn't have been shocked if it had come back as a 9.4. It was too nice a GA book not to imprison in plastic. tongue.gif

Thanks for the info, though, guys! thumbsup2.gif

A short while back, there was a thread going about undervalued GA. I'm reviving this topic as I just got back some nice GA slabs from CGC. So here's the book in question:

TRAPPED! (Harvey Giveaway, 1951)

10 bucks!?!? That's an outrage for such a nifty rarity. What the hell gives? Any ideas??

If ever there was a book in need of a major price correction, this is it. foreheadslap.gifsign-rantpost.gif

I retained eight copies from the Harvey warehouse. I am not sure how many copies resided in the warehouse but I do believe any uncirculated fifty-plus year-old book is worth ten bucks. I have no plans to get rid of my copies and I just might entomb one of them down the road. I love the cover that is so reminiscent of the fifties. cloud9.gif

I'd say Action Comics #102 is long overdue to "break out" of the guide. Like Detective Comics #120 it has a tough white cover, it is scarce above fine and it also has an incredible villian cover.

Action Comics #151. To my knowledge it is the first triple villain team-up in comics (similar to Batman #25) and is worth more than it's surrounding issues.

Sensation Comics #68. Origin & 1st app the Huntress in NM for $525?!? Seems way too low to me.

Mystic Comics #6. Origin & 1st app of the Destroyer and the Challenger! I've always considered the Destroyer Timely's forth hero behind Captain America, Human Torch and Sub-mariner. Everytime I see the Destroyer artwork I am amazed. I believe he was the Timely counterpart to DC's Manhunter.

West

I'd say Action Comics #102 is long overdue to "break out" of the guide. Like Detective Comics #120 it has a tough white cover, it is scarce above fine and it also has an incredible villian cover.

Action Comics #151. To my knowledge it is the first triple villain team-up in comics (similar to Batman #25) and is worth more than it's surrounding issues.

Sensation Comics #68. Origin & 1st app the Huntress in NM for $525?!? Seems way too low to me.

Mystic Comics #6. Origin & 1st app of the Destroyer and the Challenger! I've always considered the Destroyer Timely's forth hero behind Captain America, Human Torch and Sub-mariner. Everytime I see the Destroyer artwork I am amazed. I believe he was the Timely counterpart to DC's Manhunter.

West

I could not resist taking the opportunity to post my Detective 120. You are right. This is one hard book to find in high grade.

Detective120.jpg

West

I could not resist taking the opportunity to post my Detective 120. You are right. This is one hard book to find in high grade.

Detective120.jpg

I owned the MH copy of Det #120 and Action #102 for 10 years, they both had UNBELIEVEABLY white covers! cloud9.gif

West

I used to have what was purported to be a HG copy of 'TEC #120, but I got it from a notorious dealer from NY in the late eighties, so who knows what the real grade was? confused-smiley-013.gif

One of the all time great Batman/Detective covers! cloud9.gif