• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Books that Overstreet Needs to Break Out of Their Runs

29 posts in this topic

This thread is dedicated to identifying those GA books that deserve their own lines in Overstreet because they command higher prices than adjacent books in their run, but that Overstreet still lumps together with one or more books in run. Usually the books command higher prices, and deserve their own line, because of their unique covers, though sometimes it's because of their rarity. In any event, lumping them together with other books depresses their value, and the result is that such books are among the toughest to find in the market, even if more than a few are in fact extent. As a GGA collector, I'll note a few in my area of interest that come to mind:

Teen-Age Romances 9 ("she'll do anything to hold " cover)

Phantom Lady 18 (classic PL demale domination, worth several times what PL 19 commands. GPA shows no sales as this book never moves)

Suspense Comics (Continental) 4 (extremely rare, and LB Cole's take on Suspense 3. Easily more valuable, and rarer, than Suspense 5-7)

Zip 33 (Japanese execute nurses)

While there are probably hundreds of books that should either be broken out, or if broken out should have prices that reflect their demand (it's amazing how many breakout books list for only 10 or 20 percent more than surrounding issues), I will keep my personal list to myself until I have finished aquiring them. wink.gif

AllTop8Me... great thread...

How about:

Suspense Detective #5??

OS line should read:

"Sharpshooter's crosshairs on woman's breast; classic-c"!! 893blahblah.gif

Does anyone know what the first crosshair cover was? The motif seems to be used more and more.

813041056o.jpg

Action Comics #102 is long overdue to "break out" of the guide. Like Detective Comics #120 it has a tough white cover, it is scarce above fine and it also has an incredible villian cover.

Action Comics #151. To my knowledge it is the first triple villain team-up in comics (similar to Batman #25) and is worth more than it's surrounding issues.

Sensation Comics #68. Origin & 1st app the Huntress in NM for $525?!? Seems way too low to me.

Mystic Comics #6. Origin & 1st app of the Destroyer and the Challenger! I've always considered the Destroyer Timely's forth hero behind Captain America, Human Torch and Sub-mariner. Everytime I see the Destroyer artwork I am amazed. I believe he was the Timely counterpart to DC's Manhunter.

West

Mystic Comics #6. Origin & 1st app of the Destroyer and the Challenger! I've always considered the Destroyer Timely's forth hero behind Captain America, Human Torch and Sub-mariner. Everytime I see the Destroyer artwork I am amazed. I believe he was the Timely counterpart to DC's Manhunter.

West

thumbsup2.gifhail.gif

Superman 23 is the oldest cross hair cover I know of. Not really a rifle cross hair but a classic Submarine view. I think it dates from 1943. My personal favorite Superman cover of all time.

Donut - I pretty sure there was a warehouse find of True Life Secrets #23, as almost all copies I see listed on ebay are high grade - a few years back there were 5 copies from the same seller. Like Thing #16 and Crime and Justice #20, it seems to turn up with some frequency. The art is taken from a Fox comic ( My Love #4? - I can't remember exactly, and that book often fetches a premium).

It's a great cover, and probably should be broken out, but I don't think it's that rare.