• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 Captain America 1s in the May ComicConnect auction?

24 posts in this topic

I see that there are going to be 4 Cap 1s in the May CC auction.

6.5 (MP)

2.5 universal

.5 universal (no CF)

.5 (Ex) trimmed

Isn't it a little dumb to have them all come out at the same time? To me it seems like it could weaken the auctions overall.

Or are they different enough in grade that having them all come out at the same time won't matter.

I think if I was the seller of one of those I'd want mine pulled for a later auction

Maybe they're holding 6 more, haha.

It's wierd how you don't see a comic for a while and them BAM, they start to come out of the woodwork.

It's like Archie comics 1. You almost never saw Archie 1 at auction and now it seems like you see 2 a month.

I guess soaring prices brings out the rarest of comics.

I don't know, they are all different and demand is there, especially for low grade. This book has a long reputation as being one of the more common GA keys, and that hasn't seemed to hurt the recent run-up in value.

I'd take the missing CF copy over the 2.5 ( which looks like it comes from CGC's tape improves the grade era). By any reasonable standard a copy with a complete or near complete spine split that has bee taped up and had the cover restapled to the book is a 1.5 at best. The inc. copy actually has decent eye-appeal.

The other .5 is a complete mess, but the market has shown spirited bidding for the ugliest of major keys - I'll be curious to see if it sells for more than that butchered coverless copy did last month.

I'm also curious to see if the overgraded 2.5 sells for as much as the 6.5(M) SS copy.

Census on Capt America #1 may be relatively high but the demand is equally high. Let me know when a truly RARE Timely like the Capt America b/w annual or Marvel Mystery b/w annual pops up for auction please. :ohnoez:

With 63 blue label copies on the census, and 136 copies overall, is it really considered particularly "rare" by GA standards? And is that the same 2.5 that was offered by a boardie on here a month or two ago?

-J.

Cap 1s are not considered rare at all by seasoned GA collectors. They are tougher than Bat 1s though. And yes, that 2.5 is the same copy belonging to the boards very own Dark Knight :)

^ yeah Cap 1 has the latest date of any major key at 1941 and generally the later the book the more copies exist. There's a huge difference between a 38 or 39 book and a 41. Sort of like the difference (speaking relatively of course) between a 61 or 62 marvel and a 64. In both cases print runs and copies saved were increasing over time.

It's the most common of the GA keys, IMO. It's still a great book, obviously, but go to a big convention and you're bound to see one or two available for sale.

I see that there are going to be 4 Cap 1s in the May CC auction.

6.5 (MP)

2.5 universal

.5 universal (no CF)

.5 (Ex) trimmed

Isn't it a little dumb to have them all come out at the same time? To me it seems like it could weaken the auctions overall.

Or are they different enough in grade that having them all come out at the same time won't matter.

I think if I was the seller of one of those I'd want mine pulled for a later auction

It'd take a lot for me to be in the market for this book but I think it is a little much to have two in the same grade...no CF doesn't make a book GLOD? Or is it nice otherwise? That might go for a song if it looks nice but is merely incomplete versus the trimmed issue...

(and before someone calls me out for it, I am saying merely because although it is a huge detriment, in the CGC case, it can be pretty hard to tell the difference. (thumbs u

It's the most common of the GA keys, IMO. It's still a great book, obviously, but go to a big convention and you're bound to see one or two available for sale.

Man I am SO sick of people saying this is a common book. In the last few Years I don't think I have seen more then 1 copy for sale at any of the major north east shows. People are not selling this book and it is the Timely to make. I would be very glad to get a copy again and this time I don't think it will leave my hands as I regret selling my 1.0.

I think I am aware of more Detective 27's for sale then Cap 1 right now.

As for the auction the top graded book is signed by Joe Simon and restored so I have no interest (because of the signature not the resto)

The 2.5 is nice but with a fully split and taped spine it is not really a 2.5, so if it goes for 2.5 money instead of 1.5/1.8 money I have no interest.

As for the other 2 who knows considering the coverless beat and incomplete copy in comiclink went for an insane 7900 These might both be 15K books....

James G

Who is looking for an unsigned Cap 1 or 3.

Man I am SO sick of people saying this is a common book. In the last few Years I don't think I have seen more then 1 copy for sale at any of the major north east shows. People are not selling this book and it is the Timely to make. I would be very glad to get a copy again and this time I don't think it will leave my hands as I regret selling my 1.0.

As for the auction the top graded book is signed by Joe Simon and restored so I have no interest (because of the signature not the resto)

The 2.5 is nice but with a fully split and taped spine it is not really a 2.5, so if it goes for 2.5 money instead of 1.5/1.8 money I have no interest.

As for the other 2 who knows considering the coverless beat and incomplete copy in comiclink went for an insane 7900 These might both be 15K books....

James G

The CGC 2.5 copy is my book up for auction. I bought it raw and had it slabbed around the time I bought it. The tape placed is old tape place who knows how long ago. Probably to preserve the spine better instead of being totally split. I have acquired the grader's notes. The spine is not completely split btw.

Spine Large Tape

Center Staple Added Not Manufacturing

Spine Multiple Tear

Right Bottom Front Cover Large Crease

Whole Book Small Lite Multiple Dent

James G

The CGC 2.5 copy is my book up for auction. I bought it raw and had it slabbed around the time I bought it. The tape placed is old tape place who knows how long ago. Probably to preserve the spine better instead of being totally split. I have acquired the grader's notes. The spine is not completely split btw.

Spine Large Tape

Spine Multiple Tear

Dark Knight I really like your 2.5 in this auction. GLWTS.

I'm broke and can't bid, but I think the .5 universal missing the Cf would be a great one to go after for a person with a smaller budget (like mine). That one seems to be in great shape and if one were to take the Spine Roll out it would look amazing.

James G

Spine Large Tape

Spine Multiple Tear

I'm broke and can't bid, but I think the .5 universal missing the Cf would be a great one to go after for a person with a smaller budget (like mine). That one seems to be in great shape and if one were to take the Spine Roll out it would look amazing.

Thanks Gadzukes! Yeah, it's a pretty cool book to have that will continue to go up in price each year. You can still bid on the book even if you think you won't win :).

James G

Spine Large Tape

Spine Multiple Tear

Thanks Gadzukes! Yeah, it's a pretty cool book to have that will continue to go up in price each year. You can still bid on the book even if you think you won't win :).

This 2.5 is an undercopy for you right? I forget, what grade is your other copy?

James G

Spine Large Tape

Spine Multiple Tear

(thumbs u

I agree jgallo!

I've never seen a Cap 1 for sale at any of the Seattle Cons within the last 5 years.

Maybe it's "common" at the NYC or San Diego cons?

What are the GA keys anyway? If Sensation #1 or WW#1 is a key I'd say those are more common.

I also feel like I see Batman #1 a lot.

I agree jgallo!

I've never seen a Cap 1 for sale at any of the Seattle Cons within the last 5 years.

Maybe it's "common" at the NYC or San Diego cons?

What are the GA keys anyway? If Sensation #1 or WW#1 is a key I'd say those are more common.

I also feel like I see Batman #1 a lot.

I counted at least 5 Batman #1 while walking around megacon a few weeks back.