• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping to Canada - What's Best?

44 posts in this topic

Please don't:

use ebay global shipping program

use anyone except USPS

The above two will kill your customer with fees and other fees and made up fees. It won't be cheap but think it starts around $30 to use international USPS.

First class is best (for the most part) for low value items as the cost of the package isn't too bad. If you have a high dollar item, less time in transit the better. Make sure to protect yourself as international seems to be the green light for scammers both ways (so get tracking/sig) when required.

Thanks, guys. Sorry, Canada, looks like my books are staying south.

to bad this is your decision.

It isn't all that difficult. Just always use USPS, and always get tracking/ insurance. If your buyer is happy to pay for it, it shouldn't matter. Just be clear in your sales listings that you do ship to Canada, but that you will be declaring full value and tracking and insurance. As a buyer from Canada I have no problem paying those costs.

Trying to open up sales to the Great White North but have no idea how to quote shipping. Any thoughts on the most cost effective way to ship from CONUS to Canada?

1-3 books

4 or more?

Thanks, eh.

I've only shipped to Canada once, to someone here on the boards. 4 or 5 books I think, I sent it Priority Mail International using Paypal shipping, from Virginia to Ontario, it was about $25.

I had no problems.

I've sent several USPS Priority Mail Express International flat rate envelopes to Canada, and this is currently the only service I use (on a case by case basis). The cost is $35.95 USD which includes $200 worth of insurance for merchandise (more insurance can be added for an extra fee):

postage.jpg

Flat Rate boxes are also available (and more expensive, of course).

Obviously, this is not the most cost-effective choice for buyers of cheaper items. But for more expensive orders, it's worth it: The tracking is very reliable, and the shorter time in transit is a real plus (one of my least favorite things about shipping internationally is the "will it arrive? / won't it arrive?" suspense/waiting game).

Please note that this service is NOT the same thing as regular international priority mail, which is cheaper, but does not include the free insurance, and isn't quite as fast.

Also: do yourself a favor, and don't bother trying to fill out the customs forms, etc., on-line. The last time I tried it, it was a ginormous, confusing, time-consuming mess. Get yourself a copy of the correct customs form, fill it out by hand in advance, and then take the whole enchilada to a clerk at your local PO's service counter and let the pros deal with it.

I do wish that shipping to Canada was easier and cheaper. But for now, it is what it is I guess...

usps express priority - $50-$60 including a signature confirmation and 3-5 day travel time (assuming no customs delay). by far the best way to go for both buyer and seller. only problem is shipping cost, so for cheaper items, might have to lose sig confirmation.

usps express priority - $50-$60 including a signature confirmation and 3-5 day travel time (assuming no customs delay). by far the best way to go for both buyer and seller. only problem is shipping cost, so for cheaper items, might have to lose sig confirmation.

Also: do yourself a favor, and don't bother trying to fill out the customs forms, etc., on-line. The last time I tried it, it was a ginormous, confusing, time-consuming mess. Get yourself a copy of the correct customs form, fill it out by hand in advance, and then take the whole enchilada to a clerk at your local PO's service counter and let the pros deal with it.

Really? I have had no problems. You fill out the form online same as you would hand-writing it, and your printer spits out all the forms. I even got some of the "packing slip enclosed" type sticky clear "envelopes" from my local PO to put the customs forms in, so when I hand them the box, it's all ready to go.

Of course, I will say, most times you have all the time in the world to fill out the customs forms while waiting in line to hand the box over. My only real complaint is, with all forms being printed out online, why do we stil need to take it to the clerk at the PO anymore? I should be able to have my mailman pick it up from my house, but that is another story.

:)

-slym

Really? I have had no problems...

I haven't filled out the forms, nor purchased international postage, on-line in a year or more, so maybe it's better now. All I know is that the last time I tried it, it took a long time, asked me for data I didn't have (i.e., the buyer's phone number), and was a lot more work than the paper form...

Thanks, guys. Sorry, Canada, looks like my books are staying south.

to bad this is your decision.

It isn't all that difficult. Just always use USPS, and always get tracking/ insurance. If your buyer is happy to pay for it, it shouldn't matter. Just be clear in your sales listings that you do ship to Canada, but that you will be declaring full value and tracking and insurance. As a buyer from Canada I have no problem paying those costs.

This