• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More significant issue: Avengers #1 or #4?

23 posts in this topic

Not sure if this topic has been brought up before but which of these two do you consider more significant and why? (Not talking about monetary value)

I personally prefer Avengers 4 because of its kickass cover and Avengers isn't Avengers without Captain America.

I think you could argue #4 is more significant for just the reason the OP said. The presence of Captain America focused the book from just another team-up team (like JLoA) into a book that was about something. Cemented, of course, by #16.

That said, I think #1 is probably still more significant. But I don't think #4 is a bad pick.

I have read both books and Avengers 4 is by far the superiorly written story. I loved how the book introduced Captain America as a flawed hero who was forced to save the day alone while the rest of the Avengers were frozen by an alien. Thus, being asked to join the team.

I felt like in Avengers 1, they weren't even a team. Each hero ran around trying to chase down the Incredible Hulk most of the issue before they briefly confronted Loki. Not to mention the final panel where they finally decide to be a team was pretty cheesy.

avengers1-8.jpg

Thumbs Up! - Iron Man

I'd go #4 because it reintroduced a character whos a pillar to the marvel U and although #1 introduced the team known as the avengers it wasn't the first team marvel used(FF) although it was the coolest and still is. I'd go with Avengers 4 (thumbs u

Yeah, I'd pick Avengers #1 as well. It's not like it's Cap's first appearance. Or even the first appearance of a Golden Age character in the Silver Age. Or even the first appearance of a Timely Golden Age Character in a Marvel Silver Age comic.

Then you would be wrong. lol

True there are many Avengers' versions without Cap. But I just can't truly consider them as true Avengers, I almost look at them as alternate universe versions.

You mean you weren't "edge-of-your-seat" thrilled by the Dr. Druid-led team?! :grin:

Yeah, I'd pick Avengers #1 as well. It's not like it's Cap's first appearance. Or even the first appearance of a Golden Age character in the Silver Age. Or even the first appearance of a Timely Golden Age Character in a Marvel Silver Age comic.

Or even the first appearance of a character calling himself "Captain America" appearing on the cover and in the contents of a Marvel SIlver Age comic.

I'd lean towards #4 as I don't think the return of Cap or Namor [FF#4] gets as much respect as they deserve. I love the way Stan and Jack brought them back into the fold. I don't think they could have done a better job writing it, especially since Namor was indirectly responsible for freeing Cap from the ice. Great stuff!

I'd lean towards #4 as I don't think the return of Cap or Namor [FF#4] gets as much respect as they deserve. I love the way Stan and Jack brought them back into the fold. I don't think they could have done a better job writing it, especially since Namor was indirectly responsible for freeing Cap from the ice. Great stuff!

No kidding, i second that motion. Lets consider showcase #4 who gives a flip, its the flash... Not his first app, and IMHO not the mark of SA... that is FF#1. But, having said that, anyone who think Showcase #4 is worth a salt, must contend w same reasoning that makes Av#4 a key, as well as FF#4. Revival.. and for us Marvel nuts, a new era, the great comic awakening... the fab four: Kirby, Lee, Ditko, Colon.... all greatness.

agreed Peter. FF4 and Avengers 4 are top 10 marvels for me.

I don't have either, but I would much prefer the #4. It's not the Avengers (to me) without Cap. It's the return of the "real" Cap to the MU. And it has that iconic cover.

The AV1 cover is underwhelming and Iron Man still has the lame clunky armor.