• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this price guide acurate ?

19 posts in this topic

I've never heard of this site. It does, basically, what GPA does correct?

It doesn't seem accurate though. IH181 is a free book to look at sales data on. In their history they show a sale of the euro variant of IH181 CGC 9.8 for $700, and it seems to factor into the "value" of all 9.8 IH181's.

The real issue is it only - according to the website - tracks sales of CGC graded books. Which is just a tiny fraction of the market. At the last show I attended, I sold several hundred books. Two of them were professionally slabbed and graded. Less than 1%.

The professionally slabbed and graded market does not sell for / behave like raw in a lot of instances. It says that with the paid subscription there is a "research tool" to research sales histories of raw books. Which basically sounds like an eBay search feature - and you can do that yourself on eBay.

Otherwise, the site appears to do pretty much what GPA does. It is cheaper, which would be the only potential appeal I see.

Wow, a lot of negativity...shocking.

Seems like a nice little interface, and for almost half of what GPA costs, might be a nice alternative for those collectors that only buy/sell a handful of slabs a year. (shrug)

I mean...SCREW THIS , PAY FOR GPA MEMBERSHIPS OR ROT IN HELL :devil:

According to this site. CGC sales of Walking Dead #1 are dropping like a rock. Which many of us have expected for awhile now.

I don't know why some grades of books (like ASM #1) would trend downward in certain grades, but trend upwards in grades above and below those down trending grades. Kind of defies logic.

This site seems okay. A competitor to GPA obviously.

Haven't most people been asking for a competitor to CGC, and now that there is a competitor to GPA, the love is not there.

The trending up or down looks helpfull

Who ever made comics.gocollect.com I hope they improve it and it should do ok

576 prices of 181 to look at would be handy if you were buying

:)

Just got a chance to take a better look at the site. They offer information on raw books sold on eBay?

Just like that, it became more useful to myself, thousands of other collectors, than GPA ever was. Very cool.

Is it?

http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/134372

Some of these are not incredible hulk 181 raws.

Is it, what?

Perfect? Hell no!

A useful, cheaper alternative to GPA...That offers information on sales on non-graded books (you know, what the majority of fans collect). Hell yes!

Just got a chance to take a better look at the site. They offer information on raw books sold on eBay?

Just like that, it became more useful to myself, thousands of other collectors, than GPA ever was. Very cool.

Is it?

http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/134372

Some of these are not incredible hulk 181 raws.

Is it, what?

Perfect? Hell no!

A useful, cheaper alternative to GPA...That offers information on sales on non-graded books (you know, what the majority of fans collect). Hell yes!

I guess i should have just asked "is it more useful than gpa?" I have said it before. I think when they get some more time and more accurate data it will be more useful then. But i dont agree with you that its more useful now. Also, i think tracking raw sales on ebay is free.

According to this site. CGC sales of Walking Dead #1 are dropping like a rock. Which many of us have expected for awhile now.

I don't know why some grades of books (like ASM #1) would trend downward in certain grades, but trend upwards in grades above and below those down trending grades. Kind of defies logic.

This site seems okay. A competitor to GPA obviously.

Haven't most people been asking for a competitor to CGC, and now that there is a competitor to GPA, the love is not there.

Because the actual number of total sales is pretty low. A bad couple auctions result in a "trend." One guy selling on the right site, one guy selling on the wrong site. Maybe a lower grade was bidded up by two bidders, and when the higher grade popped up only the loser still had money to bid and got a steal. The entire market is relatively small, and when you focus on a single grade of a single issue, it's microscopic. But sites like these still have use, I'd just look into the surrounding grades as you did. If a 9.4 and 9.8 are trending up and a 9.6 is trending down, try to get a 9.6 at a steal?

Hi everyone - Just figured I'd introduce myself since this is the first time I've seen GoCollect discussed here...

My name is Jeff Meyer. I'm the founder and lead developer of GoCollect. We're pretty fresh on the scene, but doing a lot of continual development. Over the next couple of days we'll be rolling out the first look at our mobile platform (coupon code below). From there we're focusing on exhibiting at C2E2 where we'll be doing a bunch of giveaways and market research. There are a couple of notable next steps that we'll be attacking directly after the show: (1) expanding beyond just eBay data and (2) making dramatic improvements to the way we value non-graded books.

We're not going anywhere. The company is well-funded and we'll be fighting tooth and nail to continually work towards and churn out the best product possible. There's a lot to come.

I probably won't be overly active on the chat boards, but do want to give everyone out here my direct email address - jeff@gocollect.com. Please feel free to get in touch anytime with questions or your constructive criticism.

Anyone interested in giving the site a try can use the following code for a free 30 day trial: CGCBOARDS

(Feel free to drop that code to anyone you'd like - I would feel like I was spamming the boards if I tried to distribute it myself)

If you're in Chicago at C2E2 next weekend stop by and say hi. I'd enjoy meeting you.

Best,

Jeff

So I used to code to look around a little. Some good some bad. Here's my first impression.

Things I like:

1. Shows if fixed price or auction. This is actually very nice. I hope George is watching and adds this.

2. Nice layout.

3. Shows pictures of actual sales. Again this is a huge help to judge the eye appeal of the books. Lets you see why some of the sales are high or low. Another thing I would love George to pick up on.

Things I dislike:

1. Only EBay sales.

2. Seems to be missing sales (I bought an X-Men #4 on EBay on 09/28/13 which doesn't show up, bought from Australian retailer. Don't know if they only use EBay U.S. sales)

The short of it is that although it looks prettier than GPA it is more inaccurate due to many fewer sales showing up there (they list 9 X-Men #4 sales in the last three months compared to 26 sales in the last three months listed on GPA and list 6 sales of Marvel Preview #7 compared to 12 on GPA). If they can make up the difference George may have some competition.

EDIT: Also just notices some comics seem to be missing. Looked up Incredible Hulk #271 and it doesn't show up at all.

ScreenShot2014-04-14at64101PM_zpsce8e596e.png

So I used to code to look around a little. Some good some bad. Here's my first impression.

Things I like:

1. Shows if fixed price or auction. This is actually very nice. I hope George is watching and adds this.

2. Nice layout.

3. Shows pictures of actual sales. Again this is a huge help to judge the eye appeal of the books. Lets you see why some of the sales are high or low. Another thing I would love George to pick up on.

Things I dislike:

1. Only EBay sales.

2. Seems to be missing sales (I bought an X-Men #4 on EBay on 09/28/13 which doesn't show up, bought from Australian retailer. Don't know if they only use EBay U.S. sales)

The short of it is that although it looks prettier than GPA it is more inaccurate due to many fewer sales showing up there (they list 9 X-Men #4 sales in the last three months compared to 26 sales in the last three months listed on GPA and list 6 sales of Marvel Preview #7 compared to 12 on GPA). If they can make up the difference George may have some competition.

EDIT: Also just notices some comics seem to be missing. Looked up Incredible Hulk #271 and it doesn't show up at all.

Thanks for the feedback! That IH 271 got out of order somehow... truly appreciate the heads-up. As a side note, I have to recommend using our search (i.e. try something like: hulk 271). There are a large number of sales that we don't yet have organized into series.

Some eBay sales do slip through the cracks, but we grab the vast majority. We actually don't scrape the auction data from the eBay site. We pay the ridiculous fees to officially license the data from them (note the "powered by Terapeak" mentions around the site that we're required to place to adhere to their terms of service). Because of that, there are some sales that are not intended to be public (not that it's necessarily the case with the sale you mentioned there). Also, depending on how Aussie the seller set things up, there's a good chance it didn't come through in our data and got assigned as an inapplicable international sale.