• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Online comic book Price Guide? I need some help guys

19 posts in this topic

I do not know if anyone on this site still remembers me. I joined this site a while back with the intention of getting back into collecting comics. Back then it did not work out but I am hoping to have better luck this time around.

I have recently moved into a new apartment and have started going through my massive collection and right now I feel that I just need to get some prices on some of the random issues that I have collected back in the 90's and shrink my collection down to a size that can be more easily managed. I have a crate full of titles that I am looking to get prices on but the problem is that back when I first started collecting I really did not know much about the hobby.

I collected comics for the artwork, the storyline, or just to try something new and while I thought they might have some resale value down the line, that was not my main focus when I started. Now most of my collection has sat in totes for the last few years and been untouched.

As of right now I currently have a whole bookshelf full of comic books along with a two drawer filing cabinet and am going to have to purchase another. Even with all of that space I still do not have room for all of my comics so I am trying to get rid of some of the ones that I think I can part with. Now, I know about the comic bubble in the 90's. I know that I will not be able to get a good price for a lot of these because they are not worth much, but I would like to look on the off chance that I can get some idea of what these books are actually worth.

As of right now I have not decided how I am going to do this. I am thinking of trying to sell online simply because I know most comic shops will try to give me nothing and I really do not want to get taken advantage of because of my lack of experience.

Any advice or tips you guys could give me would be greatful. As well as a link to any good online price guides.

Thanks in advance and it is good to be back here

I'm not sure about online for ungraded books, but I know a lot of people use Overstreet for raw books. GPA is the best online for graded. Those are the only two I know that are actually helpful.

Err... Overstreet isn't all that helpful. I have books priced at 25-30% of OSPG value that sit and sit on eBay. That is after offering them here at the same (if not slightly lower) prices.

OSPG needs an overhaul if people are going to use them for pricing raw books. Ebay is about the only real source of info for these.

-slym

I'm not sure about online for ungraded books, but I know a lot of people use Overstreet for raw books. GPA is the best online for graded. Those are the only two I know that are actually helpful.

Err... Overstreet isn't all that helpful. I have books priced at 25-30% of OSPG value that sit and sit on eBay. That is after offering them here at the same (if not slightly lower) prices.

OSPG needs an overhaul if people are going to use them for pricing raw books. Ebay is about the only real source of info for these.

-slym

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I've never used Overstreet for any of my books. I just know it's about the only one I've heard of besides GPA.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I've never used Overstreet for any of my books. I just know it's about the only one I've heard of besides GPA.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

(thumbs u

-slym

If they're from the '90s, it will be a lot easier to assume they're worth about $1 apiece, then have someone (maybe someone here on the boards) provide you with a list of a couple of dozen or so significant exceptions. (Seriously... this will save you many hours of work).

Another way is to check out a large volume retailer like mycomischop.com, which will give you an idea with what is being asked for most of these issues by established dealers (keep in mind they have a lot of overhead as well).

If they're from the '90s, it will be a lot easier to assume they're worth about $1 apiece, then have someone (maybe someone here on the boards) provide you with a list of a couple of dozen or so significant exceptions. (Seriously... this will save you many hours of work).

Another way is to check out a large volume retailer like mycomischop.com, which will give you an idea with what is being asked for most of these issues by established dealers (keep in mind they have a lot of overhead as well).

Yeah, that's why I asked for some titles. For the most part though, 50-cents to $1/book.

+1 on having someone who knows the business (that you trust) give you a short list to look for in your collection.

For pricing on those that actually might be worth something I'd check out EBay sold comics to get a general idea of price and see the pictures of those comics to try to match up the condition of yours to ones that sold.

I have an issue with this. The price in the guide suggests what a book is worth. eBay is the price of the book when you have to sell NOW.

I'm still finishing runs of 90's Spectre, Power of Shazam and some other titles. Guide says these are all $3-4 books in top shape. Would I pay that for the last of the issues I need? Sure. Do I have to? Nope. Demand is low, so people flush at $1. Why?

A) because the seller doesn't have an immediate customer for the book, and is afraid he'll have to store it

B) because the book was purchased cheap, and the seller doesn't need to get much out of it

C) the seller would rather have $1 now than $3-4 later

None of this is an error in the guide.

So would I just be better off going through my collection and taking the ones that are priced for $2.00-$3.00 each (according to price guide) and just putting them in a box to take down to my local shop and just dumping them for a flat rate. .10-.25 cents apiece?

I do not know if anyone on this site still remembers me. I joined this site a while back with the intention of getting back into collecting comics. Back then it did not work out but I am hoping to have better luck this time around.

I have recently moved into a new apartment and have started going through my massive collection and right now I feel that I just need to get some prices on some of the random issues that I have collected back in the 90's and shrink my collection down to a size that can be more easily managed. I have a crate full of titles that I am looking to get prices on but the problem is that back when I first started collecting I really did not know much about the hobby.

I collected comics for the artwork, the storyline, or just to try something new and while I thought they might have some resale value down the line, that was not my main focus when I started. Now most of my collection has sat in totes for the last few years and been untouched.

As of right now I currently have a whole bookshelf full of comic books along with a two drawer filing cabinet and am going to have to purchase another. Even with all of that space I still do not have room for all of my comics so I am trying to get rid of some of the ones that I think I can part with. Now, I know about the comic bubble in the 90's. I know that I will not be able to get a good price for a lot of these because they are not worth much, but I would like to look on the off chance that I can get some idea of what these books are actually worth.

As of right now I have not decided how I am going to do this. I am thinking of trying to sell online simply because I know most comic shops will try to give me nothing and I really do not want to get taken advantage of because of my lack of experience.

Any advice or tips you guys could give me would be greatful. As well as a link to any good online price guides.

Thanks in advance and it is good to be back here

How did it not work out the first time? Sorry it just sounds like there's a story there.

Online I like comicbookrealm.com (CBR) and comicspriceguide.com (CPG)

From what I've heard CPG is more accurate but not really by much but you need to be signed in which is a minot inconvenience. Overall I prefer CBR, no sign in needed and the search function is better. I like the whole layout of CBR better, plus the prices are in the same ballpark from what I've seen with the exception of books that have really caught on relatively recently, like NM 98 and BA 12.

-slym

+1

OP, So many factors in trying to price your collection as well as where to sell it. If you want the most money, sell it here first.

So would I just be better off going through my collection and taking the ones that are priced for $2.00-$3.00 each (according to price guide) and just putting them in a box to take down to my local shop and just dumping them for a flat rate. .10-.25 cents apiece?

If you don;t need the 10-25 cents keep them. Who knows where the next "key" will come form.

What is in your collection?

If you don;t need the 10-25 cents keep them. Who knows where the next "key" will come form.

What is in your collection?

Well right now I am going through a tote full of mostly off brand comics from what appears to be discontinued series. I will admit that back when I was collected I was not really focused and spent a lot of time looking in the bottom boxes to find things that would just appeal to me.

I honestly have not found anything that would be considered a "key" yet as most of them are from series that were either discontinued or series that have finished after a short run. I would keep them but the fact of the matter is I just do not have the room. I am currently looking at a full bookshelf, and a full two drawer filing cabinet (am currently getting ready to buy a second) and I still have an entire tote full of comics that I have no place for.

When I first started collecting I was just looking at the stories or the artwork. Anything that appealed to me. I kind of went a little nuts and it became my main hobby for several years. The truth is that I really want to get back in but I really need to narrow my collection down to something that is more manageable and figure out what type of collector I want to be considering I have a very limited budget and the price of comics seem so high these days.

I do plan on keeping all of my X-Men titles, Spider-Man, Batman, and the few superman books that I have. I am seriously looking into getting into the green Lantern and maybe giving Captain America another look. I was never a huge fan but considering the success of the movies I might give it a shot.

I have been out of the hobby so long I do not even know where to start. How best to spend my money or anything else. It seems that collecting for value in this day and age falls back to the older comics because they mass produce so much stuff now that it does not seem that today's comics would hold any value even 20 years down the line. Is that true? That is kind of sad considering the price of comics in this day and age.