• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incomplete in a blue label?

40 posts in this topic

Another instance where an explanation from CGC is seriously warranted.

Really? It's obviously a QA mistake - the book should have been in a green label holder. It happens :shrug:

Quality Assurance mistake, okay.... Just curious how it passed in front of several pairs of eyes with nobody catching the error?

The people encapsulating the book don't grade books. They just print a label and encapsulate the book.

I think this is a matter of someone printing the label on the wrong color paper.

After encapsulation the book then goes through QC for a final inspection.

The QC person (or people) probably eye 100's of books a day so if a few slip through the cracks (and they do) I'm not that surprised.

I think it's probably more than wrong color paper. Can an incomplete book be given a 6.5?

(shrug)

Really? It's obviously a QA mistake - the book should have been in a green label holder. It happens :shrug:

Quality Assurance mistake, okay.... Just curious how it passed in front of several pairs of eyes with nobody catching the error?

The people encapsulating the book don't grade books. They just print a label and encapsulate the book.

I think this is a matter of someone printing the label on the wrong color paper.

The QC person (or people) probably eye 100's of books a day so if a few slip through the cracks (and they do) I'm not that surprised.

This. I feel dumb for asking about it. Let's let this go quietly into the good night.

You made off like a bandit... If returned to CGC I'm guessing it would come back to you with a green label.

I would continue with the bandit theme and sell it to some poor sucker.

I think it's probably more than wrong color paper. Can an incomplete book be given a 6.5?

(shrug)

How about a qualified GREEN label.

hm

(shrug)

hm

That's what I mean. Could it come back GREEN 6.5 with a missing page? I have a few with missing pages and they always come back as GREEN .5 or somesuch.

I thought the Green / Qualified grade ignored the one significant defect and graded the book without the significant defect?

In this case if the book was a 6.5 without the missing pages then it would make sense.

I don't know for sure, I'm just making an educated guess.

(shrug)

hm

That's what I mean. Could it come back GREEN 6.5 with a missing page? I have a few with missing pages and they always come back as GREEN .5 or somesuch.

You're confusing the label colors.

A green, qualified label ignores one significant defect when the book is graded - which is why books with missing pages are put in Qualified slabs by default and graded as if the page is still there. If you ask to put a book like that in a Universal slab, it'll come back a CGC 0.5.

This book was obviously put in the wrong slab - it's supposed to be a Qualified 6.5.

(shrug)

hm

They come back green 0.5 when the missing page affects the story, I believe.

There's a Qualified 4.5 out there with the same '3RD PAGE MISSING, DOES NOT AFFECT STORY. INCOMPLETE' . It's obvious this should be Qualified.

The OP already stated he feels dumb for posting this. The right thing to do is send it back but you still have to eat the postage. Tough call.

There's a Qualified 4.5 out there with the same '3RD PAGE MISSING, DOES NOT AFFECT STORY. INCOMPLETE' . It's obvious this should be Qualified.

The OP already stated he feels dumb for posting this. The right thing to do is send it back but you still have to eat the postage. Tough call.

That would give him a lot of street cred around here....

(shrug)

hm

Why wouldn't it be blue 0.5? A green label indicates what the book would be without that one major fault.

Whomever entered in the info for the label messed up. I agree that most likely it should be a 6.5 Qualified.

I don't know the exact process, but my guess is that when creating the label, they missed checking the box that says Qualified. Or a drop down where you select the designation. Something like that.

Incomplete books should always get the qualified label or else nothing better that a .5 - 1.0. ASM #238 will get the Qualified if the "tattooz" are missing, and they aren't really even part of the book.

(shrug)

hm

No, this is incorrect - they come back blue 0.5 if the submitter specifies a blue label or green with whatever grade they would have if the page was still present.

Here's an example from zzutak's thread:

G1-2.jpg

Come on people now! We all know what happens to green when the "yellow sun" on a slow moving "mule train" from Florida arrives in Texas! You get "BLUE"!!!! (The only explanation I can come up with, sorry!)

CGC DELIVERS!!

Lxzqlok.jpg