• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storage for OA

24 posts in this topic

I use mylars and portfolios (from 8x10 to 22x28). The portfolios 13x19 and smaller I store on a specially made bookshelf and the larger portfolios and art too big for the portfolios I store in a blueprint drawer (45'x54').

Paper product have many enemies.

What you want to do is store them away from light, moisture, air and pests (be it silverfish or vermin)

The best way I've found is to poly bag each piece and tape the piece shut with a solid strip of tape on the outer flap so nothing goes in or comes out.

I buy my bags from "Bags Unlimited" they're custom sized.

For the better pieces, you'll put them in a mylar, but that's not enough since the mylar has a huge opening on the top, you'll still want to bag the mylar to avoid anything happening.

Happening means silverfish eating the paper, moisture getting in, be it also accidental pipes bursting, etc. or anything whatsoever, it's just proactive measures.

Then to keep them organized and also respect your collection so you can actually look at the pieces, use an ITOYA portfolio and you can then flip through the pages to see your pieces. It also keeps them away from light so they won't fade. Simply using the portfolio without any added protection still exposes the art to the hazardous elements.

Store them if possible higher than lower areas raised above floor level in case of flooding. Also in a cool even temperature to avoid premature aging due to heat, so also not in areas where there's direct sunlight. Away from sources of moisture to avoid any potential mold/mildew. Some people even use firesafes / gun safes so that in case of fire they're protected. It may seem like overkill, but to some collectors who have thousands tied up into pieces it's worthwhile assurance.

I have had a piece get munched on by silverfish before, but now all of my art, even the lower end pieces deserve at least a polybag which costs less than $3 or less to protect it.

Here's a link to Bags Unlimited:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-82-poly-bags.aspx

I keep extra art in a portfolio binder-it suppose to be a temporary solution till they are framed and hung.

I feel if the art isn't being displayed I'm just hoarding.

I think 80%+ of the collectors are inherently hoarders :) in that you'd need a museum of wall space in a mansion to showcase and display every piece of art; plus there's a huge population of collectors whose home decor and comic book illustration/art clash; then there's the group who likes to keep everything concealed. I think every art collector should have at least one piece regardless of value displayed that they enjoy. I like seeing when people display the published work next to the original piece, maybe not matted in the same frame, but even side by side.

My cat got mad at me once and urinated in the portfolio I keep a lot of my art in. By some miracle only some original silkscreened rock posters were affected. I put my OA pages in mylar in a separate chipboard portfolio now.

Got rid of the cat.

Whisker swing works for me.

Same cat would only eat a few bites from can of food so I had to open several each time I fed him....tried standing firm but he refused to eat and became skeletal....

He was really pissed at me-literally. Peed on my work clothes-I got dressed in the morning, was like, why are my clothes damp? Took a whiff BAZINGA!

That's actually terrifying.

The clothes or the art attack?

The art attack!

Yep. I was spooning rivets as I started to go thru and see what the damage was.....

itoyas inside big tupperware bins above ground level and never in the basement - ideally in room away from rooms that have water pipes ie bathrooms or kitches. had a pipe burst happen once - luckily my oa was above ground but some of my comics were lost in the flood :(