• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have A Cigar

1,373 posts in this topic

Whoah! The post Office was good to me today. Got all of these in same shipment. They grade Fine minimum and a bit of VF. The cover ink reflectivity is amazing - almost that 3-d effect where different colors seem to "float" above the page and are very intense. Now these are not the scans of my books - still waiting for the updated Visioneer scanner drivers...but they are good samples of the covers:

The Latest Fun

PS - the scan of the three will be small - don't forget to "hover" your pointer on the image until the square in the lower right appears - then click o it for full size.

Man these are some good eatin'!

grin.gif

How do those Atlas pre-code horror books compare to the ECs? ECs and the Pacific EC ripoffs "Twisted Tales" and "Alien Worlds" are all I've read, but I'm interested in expanding my horizons.

Just picked up this baby tonight for an even $20.00 at my local shop after much digging....

Good diggings! Right now the Charleton books are not in the public eye. they WERE back in the pre-cgc days. And they will be again. ACG as well. Folks who seek "what to buy next in SA" - well - Marvel and select DC is the right answer for the nince - but in the long term - things like Atlas-Seaboard, ACG and Charleton will escalate. Especially after the Marvel/DC keys have priced themselves out of the reach of the even more-than-average collector.

Thing is, we've seen this all before...before CGC came into being. When the mainstream Marvels first really started to exponentially increase in the early 80's, suddenly DC, Atlas Seaboard, ACG, Charleton and any other publisher that has a history started gaining. In those days I picked up my pre-code horrors in nice shape (min VG) for $20-20 for the popular and as little as $10 for the lesser known.

Fresh arrival in today's mail via a flimsy PM envelope, "bagged" in one of those clear 3-ring binder pages. Nice book, and I'm glad I was finally able to upgrade (anyone wanna buy my lower grade dupe?)! This came from an auction with a glowing description of "...I am not a collector and definetly not a comic book expert...This book was found in an attic where it had been stored for decades." Sadly though, no mention of butter. frown.gif

blackt20.jpg

Stalker!! mad.gif I recall one copy of this book in nicer shape on ebay...ever. Heritage sold one last summer that didn't look as nice as this one (CGC FN) for $170. Sure it's an esoteric and doesn't go for much (relatively), but it's got what I look for - the Schomburg blonde, bondage, headlights, guy in hood - and a great ad on the back cover featuring the Schwinn "Black Phantom" bicycle!

Why do I start humming Pink Floyd when I read this thread???

Indeed the bracelet gives the illusion of being chained to the wall, although there does not appear to be a physical restraint, so we'll say the bonds are mental...the worst (best?) kind!! grin.gif Okay, enough about this book, let's see some other recent acquisitions people!

Strange Planets #1. Not extremely valuable, but don't collectors have to ask themselves one important question -- "Shouldn't the cover say something different?"

For instance, instead of "Astounding Super Fantasies" how about "He needs a bigger gun." shocked.gif

strangeplanets1.jpg