• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have A Cigar

1,373 posts in this topic

No problem - that's Wonder Comics #17, and I picked up it just this side of $200...now I only need 13, 14, and 18 for the short run of Schomburg airbrush covers on this title? Anyone? wink.gif

But why is she looking at the mirror? She has no eyes grin.gif

And naturally her hair is gorgeous, it's a wig.

Hmm..while looking at that cover... is there a story about a wigmaker disguised as a hairdresser who is electrocuting (or in some other cruel way killing) his clients and taking "wigs" straight from their heads?

Sometimes those horror covers tell the whole story in one oversized panel.

For example Crime Suspenstories 10...I love that cover smile.gif

Could you imagine a 12 year old seeing that on the rack when it first came out...

I know. I remmeber when I was a kid in the 50's going to the horror movies like House On Haunted Hill and It Conquered the World and Invasion Of The Saucermen. Going into the tehater and seeing the one-sheets and then hitting the lobby and seeing the lobby cards! I could have used a roll of TP before I even got into my seat! grin.gif

I remember when I was about six years old (1956-57) finding my oldest brother's cache of comics in the cellar (he is 10 years my senior). There were some war books but also some ECs. I skimmed the war books and "read" (as much as a 6 year old can "read" EC's fine verbage) and basically was frozen in place in the cellar. I was afraid to move for fear of being caught by something and I was also so captivated I could not stop looking at the panels. I had nightmres nighly for several days after that (literally). I remmeber one that has stuck with me to this day - a witch (as in one of EC's hosts) was chasing me up the cellar stairs and I had no voice to cry out.

I am firmly convinced that early encounter is responsible for my love of precode horror today, as I rarely read comic books as a youth.

OK, not as impressive as your books

Pah, Greggy. It is not a competition. It is a place to book books you are especially pleased with! (Gawd I really hope people don't think this is a competition!)

They are some nice looking books. Now that Uncanny Tales cover was done by Marvel under their Atlas logo in the 50's but darned if I can remember which one!

Folks have been saying to me if I want better grade BA books for my BA horror/mystic nostalgia trip to see greggy. Now I am understanding why!

Pah, Greggy. It is not a competition.

Yeah...I understand POV but don't know how people would view these more obscure Bronze Marvels! Yes, I tend to collect the harder to find titles with Marvels still! smile.gif

Now that Uncanny Tales cover was done by Marvel under their Atlas logo in the 50's but darned if I can remember which one!

The stories reprinted are Strange Tales 8, Weird Worlds 17, Marvel Tales 114, and Uncanny Tales 38. However, the cover doesn't seem to correspond to any of the stories so I can't help you out!

Folks have been saying to me if I want better grade BA books for my BA horror/mystic nostalgia trip to see greggy

Didn't your brother find a box of old goodies a few months back? What was in those boxes? cool.gif

I got one for ya..its not comics, but an image that I would sneak up to and take a peek at.

TimeLife published a LIFE-sized series of books on WWII written with Churchill commentary. There was a full page color painting of a Navy seaman whose entire arm was aflame from fuel...He had a haunting look of horror on his face but I kept staring at his melting arm. I got the same recation you did to the horror books.

He had a haunting look of horror on his face but I kept staring at his melting arm. I got the same recation you did to the horror books.

Yeesh! And I bet because this is supposed to be real life as opposed to a movie or a comic (which, even sunconsciously - the kids knew were not really real) that had to have had a heck of an effect! Yeesh! That IS the stuff these books are made of.

The Voodo 8 looks particularly intersting.

Andrew - my compliments on your eye. I looked up that Voodoo 8 again and it turns out to be a Matt Baker cover. Any wonder it is "interesting"? Thanks for the tip! Would have glossed by it cause Overstreet put the notation in the listing itself as opposed to the "appendix" of artists they put below many titles.

The book should CGC - in my opinion - a 9.2. Now I am having a quandary. I spent a bit at Wondercon and I have to ask myself - should I GCG and sell this? If it comes out a 9.2 it would be $360 guide. Have to wonder how much of my Wondercon purchases this book would cover? But then again it is so pretty! Man I hate this!

Oh - just look at the census - 1 copy listed at 9.0 and this HAS to be better than that. Man!

::edited to add last paragraph::