• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you block low ball buyers?

235 posts in this topic

Ok well the buyer we're discussing showed no eccentricities....forget my analogy then.

Argue for your limitations and they're yours.

The 'that won't work cause....and that won't work cause...' syndrome is a success killer....

Ok well the buyer we're discussing showed no eccentricities....forget my analogy then.

The 'that won't work cause....and that won't work cause...' syndrome is a success killer....

well, that explains my career failings. :sorry:

Eccentric billionaires have to buy a car from somebody-why not you?

do you have any idea how hard it is to work with eccentrics, nah, not worth the effort, move along to an easier mark.

YOU are an eccentric buyer.

meh

well, that explains my career failings. :sorry:

:signfunny:

If someone makes a ridiculous lowball offer, I've blocked them. Like $11 for a $400 item. Buyers need to do research, too. There are sellers which are crazy, sure. There's some crazy with a DC 20 pack on eBay for $1500, about 100 times what it is worth.

But there are also sellers who do research, and price everything close to market.

Setting auto-decline is great, but when you have hundreds of listings, it's a great amount of labor.

If a seller has something listed for a price, it is fair to assume that's close to what they want for it. Lowballing is a quick way to annoy a seller.

And if someone even hints that the S&H is too high, instant block. Those people will leave you a low DSR for S&H, and you only get two of those a year, and the 20% discount is gone. I'm at $500+ for the year on lost discounts.

If someone makes a ridiculous lowball offer, I've blocked them. Like $11 for a $400 item. Buyers need to do research, too. There are sellers which are crazy, sure. There's some crazy with a DC 20 pack on eBay for $1500, about 100 times what it is worth.

But there are also sellers who do research, and price everything close to market.

Setting auto-decline is great, but when you have hundreds of listings, it's a great amount of labor.

If a seller has something listed for a price, it is fair to assume that's close to what they want for it. Lowballing is a quick way to annoy a seller.

And if someone even hints that the S&H is too high, instant block. Those people will leave you a low DSR for S&H, and you only get two of those a year, and the 20% discount is gone. I'm at $500+ for the year on lost discounts.

This belies the success I've had making lowball offers....

Go thru life with the mantra 'I don't know what the other guy is thinking'.......

Maybe he has bad eyes and thought he typed $110 not $11...

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE OTHER GUY'S HEAD IS AT.

Go thru life with the mantra 'I don't know what the other guy is thinking'.......

Yeah, we get it. Lowball offers do quite frequently benefit a buyer. But how often do they benefit the seller? I've never had a lowballing haggler turn into money in the black or positive seller ratings.

And I have a pretty good idea of where the buyer's head is at. He just responded back to my polite decline, saying he's only seen the 9.6 go for $300, and that he could go up to $400 if I was ever interested. That to me implies a buyer who is not familiar with the market.

Yeah, we get it. Lowball offers do quite frequently benefit a buyer. But how often do they benefit the seller? I've never had a lowballing haggler turn into money in the black or positive seller ratings.

They benefit the seller because he accepted the offer ie that was worth it to him. No one was twisting his arm. That was money in the black. I've heard sellers on these boards say sometimes they put some large price on a book just to see what would happen but they were happy with the price they sold at.

And I have a pretty good idea of where the buyer's head is at. He just responded back to my polite decline, saying he's only seen the 9.6 go for $300, and that he could go up to $400 if I was ever interested. That to me implies a buyer who is not familiar with the market.

reseller/dealer :gossip:

Ok but that one case does not in any way negate anything I have stated here. I never said definitely every buyer will eventually meet your price. Just that it's not smart to close the door on any buyer BEFORE you know where his head is at.

Also, this could be another bluff on his part.

The possibility exists that tomorrow he will offer you $900 for the book.

Stay positive, and don't close any doors. That's good selling.

Also, for practice you could have replied with "I could go down to $800'....

Not getting irate and saying 'you have no idea of the market on this book' (not that you said that)

Eccentric billionaires have to buy a car from somebody-why not you?

do you have any idea how hard it is to work with eccentrics, nah, not worth the effort, move along to an easier mark.

YOU are an eccentric buyer.

meh

and your high moral ground is annoying, :eyeroll:

Not getting irate and saying 'you have no idea of the market on this book' (not that you said that)

I appreciate the feedback, kav... but yeah... I don't need practice. I just don't agree with you.

One time I had these silver plates for sale, something like 60 ounces total, but can't remember exactly. This was at silver's peak about a year ago. I had it at like a grand with best offer. Cut the best offer off at like $800. Got a message from a guy who wanted me to "quit wasting his time" and tell me what my lowest was, I checked my auto declined offers and it was all him, in $50 increments, from $50 to $250.

Something listed for $1000, he offered $50. And I was wasting his time.

I replied back what the spot price for silver was and what the lot weighed and told him to figure it out. No response.

Other than that, loball offers don't bother me. I auto decline everything under what I am willing to accept. I list a hair higher than I hope to get, because whenever I see "best offer" I never hit BIN, even if I'm asking for $1 less lol

I appreciate the feedback, kav... but yeah... I don't need practice. I just don't agree with you.

YOU NEED THE PRACTICE!

You have an aversion to bartering!!! For one thing, you think bartering is useless. And you find buyers annoying. You never countered his offers ONCE! Surely you see this.....

YOU NEED THE PRACTICE!

You have an aversion to bartering!!! For one thing, you think bartering is useless. And you find buyers annoying. You never countered his offers ONCE! Surely you see this.....

Seriously? Are you even reading this thread?

I've accepted most offers that come close to what the average selling price of the book is, factoring in PQ, centering, etc...

But there is a huge difference between bartering and low balling.

$800 and $900 are reasonable offers, not low balls. $900 I might take, $800 I'd work with, because those are in the ball park of what the book is actually worth.

The whole point of bartering is meeting in the middle at a price both parties can live with. Starting at such an extreme below value will generally lead to a price that only benefits the buyer, so why go back and forth and waste both our time?

Ehh, I'll counteroffer if we're close on price. Offering half of the lowest price the book has ever gone for, I think is one of those 'We're too far apart on this' situations.

I'm not sure where that implies that I think bartering is useless, or even have an aversion to it. I clearly just think that bartering and are two different things.

YOU NEVER COUNTERED ANY OF THIS BUYER'S OFFERS!

Think of it like a game-see how high you can get him to go. Make it fun.

I seriously think you are selling yourself short here....

I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything-I really think you can do better as a seller.

I myself have incredible success as a seller, so I'm not just talking out my spoon.

I want to pass on my skills, is all. I like sharing.