• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics in the Bronze Age
2 2

139 posts in this topic

:cool:

146723.jpg

And that my friends is when Superman jumped the shark

Great cover I love Elliot Maggin. I ran into him in Los Angeles at a Starbucks and we talked for an hour he had some crazy stories from back in the day

I wonder if Bates has done any signings???

beautiful 9.8

It's been quite here lately, so here is my copy of Action #414, from the Western Penn pedigree. I purchased this piece in 2010, it was my oldest 9.8 for time. I like covers with two or more Suepermen and there are a few others like this one in the run. From the summaries I've read online about this issue, it has something to do with a film stunt double doubling as Sueprman.

1202280_Full_Obv_zps3d280813.jpg

As I found issue #428 in a $1 bin this past weekend, I also picked up these from the same table:

ACTIONLOT_zps07c34b4c.jpg

I hate to say this, because I do love the Superman books from the 1970s, but I get the sense that these books don't move unless they're priced really low. I've been picking up these books on the cheap recently, and in decent grade. There just isn't the love for Supes as there once was.

BTW, also very grateful to meet Gerry Conway and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez in Motor City. Got a few books signed. What a highlight!

I hate to say this, because I do love the Superman books from the 1970s, but I get the sense that these books don't move unless they're priced really low. I've been picking up these books on the cheap recently, and in decent grade. There just isn't the love for Supes as there once was.

Aint that the truth, almost zero demand for most of the BA books, you almost have to give them away even at solid grades.

Great for collectors though. I have a pretty darn good higher grade Action and Superman BA run I have put together just because it is so cheap to do so.

Aint that the truth, almost zero demand for most of the BA books, you almost have to give them away even at solid grades.

Great for collectors though. I have a pretty darn good higher grade Action and Superman BA run I have put together just because it is so cheap to do so.

You got it! In the last few months I have done the exact same thing. You could not pull together a solid, high-grade run of Batman, Detective, Wonder Woman, etc. unless you were going to fork over about 5X to 10X what you would spend on an Action/Superman BA run.

You got it! In the last few months I have done the exact same thing. You could not pull together a solid, high-grade run of Batman, Detective, Wonder Woman, etc. unless you were going to fork over about 5X to 10X what you would spend on an Action/Superman BA run.

I hear both of you on this. I constantly think about how if some of my early Bronze Actions in high grade were Batman books than they would be way out of my price range. While I love this era of Action, there are quite a few goofy covers, so I understand why a dark Neal Adams cover with Batman would be more desirable.

I have also told others that one of the things I like about collecting Action books from this era is that it is a way to go against the grain. While Superman is very popular, the Action run from this era is not quite as popular.

I also have very limited experience in submitting books myself, if I really want all of these issues in high grade, I will have to search out and submit some of these myself, it has been well over a year since I last added a 9.8 example to my Bronze Action set.

BTW, also very grateful to meet Gerry Conway and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez in Motor City. Got a few books signed. What a highlight!

I really enjoy Mr. Garcia-Lopez's covers and art. Congratulations on getting his scrawl!

561286_Full_Obv_zps64ac7360.jpg

Action #494 is my favorite cover of his. :cloud9:

More Action #419 goodness!

10155882_712329050531_219575432443771536_n.jpg

Superman in Action Comics: Volume 2, Featuring the Complete Covers of the Second 25 Years (1994)

Shameless plug --> Note that I'm offering up my copy of this "Action Comics complete covers" book with this classic Superman cover, plus TWO other covers books, in the PIF thread! :gossip:

More Action #419 goodness!

10294265_712329045541_4557833065882397857_n.jpg

From DC Comics Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle (2010).

A brief synopsis is given about the intro to the Human Target in Action #419.

10155882_712329050531_219575432443771536_n.jpg

Superman in Action Comics: Volume 2, Featuring the Complete Covers of the Second 25 Years (1994)

are you still selling this or you have it in the PIF???